anyone have the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V prebuilt model?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

anyone have the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V prebuilt model?

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:43 am

if so, what are your impressions of it? Did anyone post a review on it?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: anyone have the Dragon 1/72 Saturn V prebuilt model?

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:25 pm

I've been darn tempted to get this - it is after all a 5 foot tall model in a standard scale. However, I just haven't been able to commit $250 for something that will just wind up sitting in a corner for the most part. I have seen the box in person, however, and its massive. Cannot comment on the overall amount of diecast (if any) but I would assume that the model is mostly plastic in order to keep the weight down.

Overall, the Dragon 1:72 Saturn V seems very similar to a smaller 1:400 scale model they make of the same rocket. Stages separate in the same manner, similar parts, etc. My 1:400 model does have some diecast on it.

I do know that the 1:72 scale model does not come with a folded-up Lunar Module packed into the upper part of the 3rd stage, though Dragon makes such a model of the LM that has been included on their "upper stage" models of Apollo 9 and 10. Various parts of the stages that would come off in actual flight (the ring around the engines on the 2nd stage, the upper part of the 3rd stage, etc) do not come off and are molded parts of the tooling for each stage. That was likely done to add strength to the model. I want to say the escape tower & cover can be removed from the CM, but I'm not sure. All photos of the actual product never show it removed, so it may very well be fixed.

The Flying Mule has some excellent pictures of the actual un-boxed Dragon 1:72 Saturn V that may be worth taking a look at if you are considering this piece: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/DM-50388

I have an old Revell 1:144 scale Saturn V kit (which itself stands about 3 feet tall). My brother and I worked on it 14-15 years ago, then gave it to my dad. On that model, all the stages separate in the correct manner, it has the folded-up LM in the 3rd stage, and the escape tower can be removed from the CM.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:30 pm

i found some reviews of this and there is no diecast at all; it's entirely plastic. The escape tower does not come off. The biggest complaint is that there is overspray of the black paint onto the white and that several of the small parts are dislodged and rattling around in the box....they can be glued back on of course once you figure out where they go.

Everyone says it lacks detail and should not be considered a museum quality model. like the 1/144 bandai is. In spite of that all reviews were positive saying it is very impressive and worth getting.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Like has been mentioned, reviews have been pretty positive, with only a few minor complaints.

Like Tman, I was tempted to get this myself, but feared it would just tower in a corner. It certainly is big and impressive.

Really comes to life when displayed in an Ikea Detolf cabinet, with additional lighting. The proper way to display it, in my opinion.

Have also seen it with a nice 1/72 scale pic of the launching gantry behind it. Another nice touch.

The Bandai Saturn V is very impressive, and pretty much museum quality. But it is very expensive, and strictly for space enthusiasts or those with deep pockets. But, what a model.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:14 am

We took 30 units and sold out in less than a week the first time.
the second release was just as good but could only get 15 units. everyone we sold to loved them
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:55 am

well, i've decided to get one of these. Now the decision is whether to get the pre built or the kit. Cheapest kit i can find is $150 less than the cheapest pre built i can find (factoring in shipping, exchange rates and Customs fees). So a substantial savings to be had but the kit will be a pain to put together.

If i could find an Asian based seller that has the pre built that would be great, as it would save me a bundle in Customs fees....but the pre builts are getting pretty hard to find now. I guess i'm late to the party again...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Glad you're getting one Aferg. I still can't bite on the dragon 1:72 version, though it looks darn impressive. And I even have the perfect theme music for it - the soundtrack to "Apollo 13"... But I just blew my toy budget on some other expensive Collectibles, so will have to wait a while even if I decided to take the plunge.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Sorry about the double post, however, I bit the bullet on this and got the pre-built version from The Flying Mule. Their free shipping option plus a discount coupon I had helped.

Impressions: This thing is huge! I have a ton of 1:72 planes, helicopters, armor, and figures - and this dwarfs all of them - by a lot. I've seen a Saturn V in person before (the one preserved at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas) so I know the size of the rocket, but still seeing this standing up, with say a little 1:72 scale figure standing next to it, hits home the sheer size of the Saturn V rocket. On its stand, the model is nearly 5.5 feet tall.

Assembly was easy - really only pushing-in the engines and fins, then stacking the stages. Given that its tall, but thin, it can store in a corner or other out-of-the-way place easily and take up no space. The stages fit together nicely, but are not the tightest in terms of fit. Really, the best way to move the model from one place to another is to disassemble the rocket, move it, then re-assemble. Its just a bit too awkward to carry about fully assembled and falls apart too easily (as I learned sort of the hard way...)

The model's construction is entirely plastic and its relatively thin plastic given the size. Basically, you have a pre-assembled model kit - not a toy. But in some ways its more durable than one may think - I was trying to carry the entire rocket minus the Apollo spacecraft when the 3rd stage portion fell off and hit a tile floor - only the cone around where the LM would be stored came off and nothing else cracked or shattered (whew!) The escape tower on the Apollo CSM is the most delicate part of the model. Mine arrived with that part pretty much broken off, though it was an easy fix with CA glue.

As has been noted above, some parts of the rocket (the adapter ring around the 2nd stage, the "doors" where the LM would be stored do not open. The LES tower does not come off the command module. For its size, its not as functional of a model as it could have been. (I ordered a Dragon model of Apollo 9 which comes in launch configuration, but with a removable escape system and plan to stick that on the Saturn V, so I can have a removable LES). Also, there are some paint issues on the model where there is over-spray between the black and white paint in places.

Still, in the end, I'm glad to have finally purchased this - having wanted it since 2011 - and it makes for an impressive part of my space collection 8)

snake

Post by snake » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 pm

That was a quick turn around, tman.

Sounds like you are quite happy with it, even with a few small issues. Pretty typical review from those that have one of these monsters. :lol:

For the price, think it is a pretty good value, but really should be displayed in a display case. which adds to the cost, but makes it look much better, and protects it.

Definitely not a model for the faint of heart.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:19 pm

thanks for the review Tman. I still haven't pulled the trigger on one. It's going to cost me a fair bit more than it cost you as i have to pay shipping, plus Customs and i have no discount coupon so the final tally will be around $350. So that's giving me pause... :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 am

well, after extensive shopping around i finally bought one. I found it at Adam Jets for $180 and they had a PD sale on for $20 off, so got it for $160. Shipping was a whopping $71 though. Still by far the best price i could find.

Looking forward to receiving the mighty beast....i really can't believe a model like this exists and for what is really a pretty good price.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 pm

snake wrote:Like has been mentioned, reviews have been pretty positive, with only a few minor complaints.

Like Tman, I was tempted to get this myself, but feared it would just tower in a corner. It certainly is big and impressive.

Really comes to life when displayed in an Ikea Detolf cabinet, with additional lighting. The proper way to display it, in my opinion.

And a nice collection of dragster models. 1/6 Liberty Classics Dodge motor, 1/16 Action funny car, several 1/18 GMP and 1/24 1320 models.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 pm

So I got the Dragon Apollo 10 set that has the diecast CSM, separate Launch Escape System (LES) rocket & cover, the LEM all folded up, and a clear LM adapter portion of the 3rd stage. The LEM adapter part comes off easily on the Saturn V model, and the LEM itself fits nicely inside on top of the fuel tank. I drilled a small hole to add the peg so that the LEM was better secured and less likely to fall out. Further, one can switch the solid LEM adapter portion of the Saturn V with the transparent one that came with the Apollo 10 set so the LEM can be viewed inside the rocket. Now my Saturn V feels much more functional and complete 8)