oxford diecast info and discussion

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: oxford diecast info and discussion

Post by nooker21 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Hey Epap, sorry to deviate about the Flying TIgers P-40E, but are there any pictures out there showing them in Chinese markings? I'd like to make or get a P-40E that looks like the old 1/32 Revell box art, but have never seen proof of that combination of E model and FT markings. I know a lot of toys and models do it incorrectly, so it would be great to see actual proof of this combo.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

no pictures but i was doing some research and much as Epap said the AVG was re-equipping with P-40E's in the first half of 1942. I can't remember exactly when the FT switched from Chinese AF markings to USAAF markings but i would suspect that at least some P-40E's were seen in Chinese markings.

However, the E was clearly not the typical Flying Tiger plane........for that you need a B in Chinese markings. And to my surprise Easy Model makes a decent looking B and with full Chinese AF markings.......so we don't need no stinkin' Oxford Flying Tigers P-40. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:45 pm

There are a few pictures of P-40Es in Chinese colors before the switch to USAAF markings and jurisdiction, AF. Here's an example:Image
Last edited by Epap on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Another picture:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm

If you can find one, the Matchbox diecast FT rendition isn't half bad----though it's only a "wheels-up" bird:Image

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:29 pm

I have one of those Matchbox P-40's, it's ok, but not as nice as your custom. 8)

The text says " They had the standard Army Air Corps Dark Olive Drab (#41) on top and Neutral Grey (#43) on the bottom."
The top pic looks like faint look of olive with tan or brown, while the bottom pic looks solid OD on top surfaces, but can't really tell.

Corgi has the Flying Tiger P-40E both ways. The Flying Mule exclusive is OD and tan w/ Chinese markings, while the Robert Scott P-40E is a solid OD, though it's US Army. Both of them look kind of wrong with the tan too light on one and the OD on the other a pea green. I managed to get both.

Which one is more correct, or are both because they are from slightly different times in the AVG, solid OD or OD and tan/ brown?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info, Epap. That was exactly what I was looking for. What book is that from?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:13 pm

the Corgi FT is also a P-40E and somewhat expensive to buy these days so i had dismissed it when i heard of the Oxford coming out. Now that i've found the Easy Model P-40B i'm happy. :)

Dauntless: the original planes used by the FT's were P-40B's and came direct from the US in the USAAF camouflage of the day, which was olive and brown. Sometime in 1942 the USAAF switched to just olive upper surfaces, probably to save time in aircraft production (many nations did this at various times, including Australia, who switched to overall green for their planes in early 1945 rather than the green and brown splinter scheme they used most of the war).

So depending when the picture was taken you could probably see FT P-40E's in either the two colour or just olive drab paint. I wouldn't be overly guided by what Corgi does however; they often make goofs. All P-40B's used by the FT were in the two colour, olive and brown, upper scheme.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:15 am

nooker21 wrote:Thanks for the info, Epap. That was exactly what I was looking for. What book is that from?
I'm not sure where the text and photos came from, AF. I had this in my Photobucket library from some old research and I failed to note the source. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it. Here's a link:

http://waihobbies.wkhc.net/models/P40E_ ... lAVG4.html