Mistakes on new Hobby Master 1:32 Hellcat

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mistakes on new Hobby Master 1:32 Hellcat

Post by donnieboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm

There are major problems with the upcoming Hobby Master 1:32 Hellcat . The plane is supposed to be Lt. CDR David McCampbell's F6F-5 "Minsi III", but instead is a hybrid with features of both the F6F-3 and F6F-5. To wit, it has the oval bulge on the side of the cowling over the exhaust stacks characteristic of the F6F-3, along with the F6F-3s small side windows behind the cockpit canopy (some early F6F-5s had these also, although not Minsi III). The windscreen is also that of the F6F-3. But it has the underwing rocket stubs, vertical radio mast, and paint scheme of an F6F-5. I am kicking myself because I noticed these problems in the prototype drawing Hobby Master released last summer, but failed to let them know about its inaccuracies. I have since informed William Liu about the problems with Minsi III. He says it's too late to change things on that plane now but subsequent Hellcat models will be corrected. I suspect the problems may have started when the modellers at Hobby Master found a picture of a current Warbird Hellcat painted as "Minsi III "on a Hellcat website. Unfortunately, that particular plane is an F6F-3! Sorry to be such a buzzkill!
Go Starbuck!

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Mistakes on new Hobby Master 1:32 Hellcat

Post by snake » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:41 pm

And it is only close to $250, with the stand that is extra. :roll:

Given all the flaws, and price tag, think this one will sit on the shelves and dump.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:32 am

That is terrible for the price. I'm going to build my first 1:32 US plane and it's going to be the Hell cat. Still searching for a good deal on internet.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 am

I can't believe the price difference between scales..... crazy.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am

HELLCAT kits are EASY to find!

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 am

Also, if you're in no hurry you can find kits at a super price. I picked up a Trumpeter F6F-5N kit for $25 last year; normally they are north of $65.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:25 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Also, if you're in no hurry you can find kits at a super price. I picked up a Trumpeter F6F-5N kit for $25 last year; normally they are north of $65.
That's awesome price for the hell cat kit from Trumpeter. I'm in no rush and will take my time to get it for a good price. How does this kit from Trumpeter compare to the Hasegawa (spelling ?) kit ?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 am

I've not seen the Hasegawa in person, but reviews suggest the Trumpeter has better detail and engineering and seeing as how the Hasegawa kit is a lot older I'd buy that assessment.

Haven't put mine together yet but it does look good on the sprues.