Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Beginnings of my 1:144 aircraft fleet

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm

aferguson wrote:Is there a good pre built F-15A or C in 1/144?

How about a good pre built F-16?

They're both tough to find or i'm not searching correctly. Anyone know?
Can.Do has both an F-15, and F-16, just search eBay for them, here's the number for an F-15
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm

thanks....i found the f-15 earlier today. The F-16 is a D model, two seater. I don't thnk they made a single seat version.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 pm

IMO, the F-16D is pretty cool, I wanted a single seat model in my collection, but couldn't find one in 1/144 so I got the next best thing, and got a MRC C, but The D model is a harder model to come across, and having one in 1/144 would be pretty cool, but finding one at the right price is the hard part...
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 am

Didn't know Can Do made a lot of different aircraft, including some helicopters in 1 :144.

I remember buying a couple of the Corgi Fighting Machines F-16's at Walmart years ago. Got a couple of them somewhere.
The Mule says they are 1:40 scale. Think there's much size difference in that scale to 1:144?
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-CS90289
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah, some people have those showcase F-16's listed on eBay saying 1/144, I've thought about getting a few sense the F-Tos F-16's are upwords of $48!!!
To much for something so small...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 am

Flying Mule's scales are never right, just like the dimensions they quote. Totally unreliable.

The Corgi F-16 is way too big. Around 1/130.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 am

I just noticed in one of the online vendor listings that the DeAgostini Soviet series is going to release a TU-95MS in due course. Unfortunately, if they follow their practice with the TU-160 and the Bison, the TU-95 will probably be in the 1:360th -1:400th scale range.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I ordered a Corgi 1/144 Dambusters Lancaster off Ebay UK a couple of weeks ago and it arrived today. Very nice model...i was a bit apprehensive as i'd heard unflattering things about Corgi Lancasters but i'm very pleased with this one. I got it at a super good price too so it's all the sweeter. :)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 14, 2013 9:48 am

Here's a fantastic deal for somebody. Unfortunately for me i already have most of the planes. I wish i'd found this a few months ago. Could have saved myself $50 or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-144-Aircraft- ... 2640wt_932

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue May 14, 2013 7:07 pm

That is a good deal. At least four or five in there wouldn't mind having. Especially the F-86.

Too bad I'm kinda tapped out after buying and bidding/ winning nearly 20 IXO/ Altaya and GE Fabbri planes from the same seller in the last 2 weeks.
There were some sweet planes for good prices, along with some rare ones for not so cheap, but luckily got combined shipping.

I'll watch that set nonetheless just in case, thanks.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 14, 2013 7:18 pm

are there Fabbri planes that are 1/144 or were you getting other scales?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Just two 1:144 the SM-81 I already mentioned earlier in the thread and a Cant Z 1007 bis Alcione.

Not ready to change scales till I run out of planes to buy, which doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. Though I shortened the list of what I wanted considerably.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 am

Got my X-Plus Zero not too long ago. Hard to believe so much detail on a model so small. It rivals the Corgi 1:72 Zeroes I have.
Comparison shots with a 21stC Zero. Lower quality of course, but good background plane imo.
The 21stC Zero prop spins though and the X-Plus doesn't.
Like to get some F-Toys and compare those too.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 am

A better shot of the panel detail

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat May 18, 2013 3:59 pm

just won a Popy Projekt Flieger Triebflugel on ebay for $31 shipped which is a pretty good price i think. The Triebflugel is my favourite luft '46 type by a country mile so i 'm pretty pleased. :)

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat May 18, 2013 7:29 pm

That's a cool aircraft. Always wondered how hard it would be to land one. Like landing an old sci-fi movie rocket ship backwards first?
Do you have any of the other ones in the set? The Horten 229 would be awesome to have.

Managed to get my first Century Wings 1:144, an F-14 Tomcat yesterday. The black Evaluators one with the Playboy bunny on the tail. Surprising how much most retail sites want for these :shock: managed to win one for $33 shipped.

Also found the 1:144 B2 (you mentioned in the other thread) for a decent price of $29.00 plus shipping. It must be huge, can't wait to get it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 am

the triebflugel is the only Popy i've got so far because they are usually so expensive ($60 plus), so i was surprised and delighted to get this one so 'cheap'.

I just learned that there is a Triebflugel scene in the move Captain America. Redskull makes an escape in one and apparently the scene is done very realistically, in that the Triebflugel was shown acting the way it was intended to, with small rockets turning the rotor until the ramjets kicked in etc. I don't really want to buy the movie for that one scene though...heh. I looked on Youtube but couldn't find the scene, unfortunately.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 am

Just bought one of these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airplane-A-50-a ... 454wt_1170

A bit over scale but i couldn't resist. It's made by Gaincorp and the best retail price i can find is $129 plus shipping, so it's a good deal. If the last one is gone email the seller as he probably has more.

ps the seller accepts best offers of $65

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 21, 2013 2:02 pm

i received a couple of Furuta Choco airplanes i'd ordered. F9F Panther and Do 335. I tried to figure out their size from pictures and determine if they were close enough to 1/144. I determined they were and so bougth them ($5 each).

They arrived today and my observations are thus: they are nicer quality-wise than i expected. Look better than the pictures of them, although a bit of touch up to the markings on the Panther is required.

Scale wise they are a bit of a disappointment. The Panther works out to about 1/155 and the Do 335 about 1/165 (that plane was a whopping 45 feet long....nearly the length of a p-61 black widow!).

So not sure what to do with them. I like them both, so i'll probaby keep them and if 1/144 examples ever come along replace them. But they are quite cool and it's amazing that they fit inside those little tiny choco eggs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130901158260?ss ... 791wt_1170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360649032448?ss ... 791wt_1170

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 am

Finally got around to ordering a Fujimi G10N Fugaku. After much deliberation i decided on the silver scheme. The plan was for these intercontinental bombers to fly to the US from bases on islands that were located north east of Japan, far away from any allied air activity. So no need for camouflage. By not painting them the would save probably 800 pounds in weight and there would be less drag while in flight, giving the aircraft a bit better speed and range....all big advantages, so i reckon they would have left them natural metal.

Besides, i have lots of green japanese bombers and a silver japanese plane looks rather unusual. The colour also makes a nice juxtapose with the B-29.

These things are drying up fast, so if anyone is thinking of getting one, now is the time.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun May 26, 2013 3:02 pm

I was going to order one from Historic Aviation because they had a good price on them, but after 2 experiences I'm thinking of not dealing with them anymore.
Ordered an X-Plus Zero and Fiat BR-20 from them, got the Zero, but not the BR-20, which they refunded the money and showed it out of stock on my receipt, yet you go to the site and it shows it in stock and still on sale, wtf!

Ordered the Motormax B2 Stealth from them a little while back, yet checked my Paypal account and no charge for it. I suspect it's out of stock and they will just not contact me, or who knows? It appears to be a flaky undependable operation. Anybody have dealings with them?

Might have to call them after the holiday and ask wtf's up?!
Looks like I most likely will have to find another outlet for the Fugaku bomber and now the Stealth. :?

Silver does look like the logical choice as you say for the G10N, guess I better decide.
(edit) took your advice and ordered one for an even better deal than Historic. Got it for $32 plus shipping, a good deal. Thanks, for the reminder. :)
There appears to be two different types, one with regular 5 blade props and one with 10 counter rotating. I ordered the latter in silver. It does look the nicest. 8)
Last edited by Dauntless on Sun May 26, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Internet Hobbies has the Fugaku for $33 which i'm sure is a better price than Historic Aviation's.

You won't be able to find the Motormax Stealth bomber online. I went through five etailers and each and every time after i paid i was informed they couldn't get it. Most of them don't actually stock anything but just order it from their distributor when they get a customer for it. The B-2 isn't ordered very often so they don't realize they can't get it anymore. Ebay is your only chance.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Did that (see edit) from Internet Hobbies thanks.
Is Internet Hobbies reliable? I seem to remember ordering the F-Toys Hellcat from them a while back and getting the same scenario as Historic, but it could have been someone else.

Yeah, all I see is Football team B2's, oh well, I snoozed I loosed. :(
Did find one in a Google search, ordered it. Guess I'll wait for the "not in stock" notice. Worth a try, thanks.

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Sun May 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Dauntless wrote: I suspect it's out of stock and they will just not contact me, or who knows? It appears to be a flaky undependable operation. Anybody have dealings with them?

I ordered from Historic Aviation 5 or 6 times. The only problem I had was with a 1/144 Betty that was backordered when I bought the Century Wings 1/144 Tomcats. They expected a restock but after several weeks they notified me they could not get it from their distributor. Other than that no issues.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon May 27, 2013 3:55 am

I've made many buys from Historic Aviation, but not so much recently. They are HM's U.S. distributor and are a major player among the vendors. They tend to be slightly overpriced---except for HM products, have a lousy website and are sometimes sloppy about keeping it up to date. When using them, it's best to call and inquire if the product is actually in stock. Otherwise, no problems.