Photo editing of the collection

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Photo editing of the collection

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:28 am

I'm a bit of a photographer, it's been a hobby for almost as long as my collection of model aircraft, but my favorite thing that I love to take pictures of, is my planes, I have over 1,600 photos just from the past 4 months of my newest models, this morning I was taking some pictures of my new BBi F-4, (that I can't keep my hands off) and decided to edit one, so I decided to make this thread to show off my edited photos from my collection, so I'm going to start this off with my F-4 (before & after shots) and then go from there, please let me know what you all think!

Before:
After:

There will for sure be more to come!
:mrgreen:
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Photo editing of the collection

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 am

Here's a few more of the F-4
F-14
F-86
Swordfish
A-50 (IL-76)
Tinker ABF 1984
E-3, and B-52H
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:09 pm

These arnt edited, but I just wanted to share.

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 am

They are nice.

What camera, lens and exposure are you using?
Are you using Photoshop for picture modification?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 am

tparkhere wrote:They are nice.

What camera, lens and exposure are you using?
Are you using Photoshop for picture modification?
Thanks, and I'm just using my iPhone 3GS and a photo editor app.

Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:55 am

Greetings:

With all due respect intended here, if photography was your longtime hobby I'd expect some much better results than what you have posted here.

The problem with the shots, even the old style ones you did, is that there is no background in them...just open space. It gives a very unusual look to the shot that doesn't seem correct and clearly shows you have a model. If done correctly, your shot should be able to make people take a second look and say "is that a model or is that a plane". Also for the F-4 shot, your photo is too old looking. A good way to judge what kind of shot you want to make is to look at books with pictures from the time period in. Quite a few shots from Vietnam were colored, although the color flim was different back then, and even the black and white shots were much sharper than what you posted.

Also, if you are into photography why don't you have a "photography" camera to do this stuff with. A cellphone just does not do what a capable top of the line point and shoot can do or an entry level DSLR can do. Even a point and shoot camera would go a long way to making even your basic pictures you take look much better. I would say the most approriate of the bunch and the most authentic is the Swordfish shot.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 am

Thank you for being honest Corey, I do have a lot of nice cameras, including cameras from the 1959's to today, my only problem is...
I DONT HAVE A COMPUTER, AND IT SUCKS, so I can't upload photos from my camera, nor a printer to copy from my older Nikon film cameras, so this phone is the best I got till I move into my new house in MO around the 1st of March.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am

One has to admire your passion for taking pics HP, despite just using a camera phone.

I'm on a low budget situation with a crappy old digital camera that has lower rez than many camera phones.

Looking to get something better with good macro mode, if I could just quit spending my money on planes instead. :?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 pm

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:Thank you for being honest Corey, I do have a lot of nice cameras, including cameras from the 1959's to today, my only problem is...
I DONT HAVE A COMPUTER, AND IT SUCKS, so I can't upload photos from my camera, nor a printer to copy from my older Nikon film cameras, so this phone is the best I got till I move into my new house in MO around the 1st of March.
Perhaps your computer is packed for moving? If not, you should be able to buy used Mac (or PC) for very cheap price these days. Most used Mac have Photoshop.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 am

tparkhere wrote:
The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:Thank you for being honest Corey, I do have a lot of nice cameras, including cameras from the 1959's to today, my only problem is...
Perhaps your computer is packed for moving? If not, you should be able to buy used Mac (or PC) for very cheap price these days. Most used Mac have Photoshop.
Nope, no computer, and not looking for a laptop, I need a good computer (new) so I can still use my flight sims, I'm stuck using the airports soft wear for that because I don't have the $1,200 needed to get the right PC needed for my training, and other..

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Derek:

Another suggestion if I may make one.

In order to pull off the shots you are trying to do, well detailed models really help. For example, the Swordfish and the F-4 look pretty good because those models are well detailed and look very close to the actual plane. The F-14 however is far from that.

So in going forward, I would suggest when you experiment to use the better models from your collection. If done properly you can disguise they are models and you may actually fool a few folks into thinking they are a real plane.

This is one I did with a model of a Gee Bee I have in my collection. Unfortunately we were under a drought at the time and the grass couldn't be cut any lower without killing it. But you get the idea how a well staged photo can be done.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 am

Oh yes I know how to make good shots, if you have seen my tanks in the snow shots I did a while back, and my Viking shot, when I get to MO, ill be doing better shots as ill actually HAVE a back yard...