My Matchbox Collection

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

My Matchbox Collection

Post by Epap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 am

When Matchbox launched its 1:72nd scale warbird line via mass merchandising outlets a decade ago, I gobbled them up, including "extras" for repaints and, I must say, these diecast replicas still stand up to their more contemporary counterparts, despite unstable stands and their lack of the "wheels-down" display option. I thought I'd share some pictures, including a fair number of repaints. We start with the jets:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: My Matchbox Collection

Post by Epap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am

Next, some WW2 USAAF birds, plus one Spitfire and a Flying Tiger:Image
Last edited by Epap on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 am

Can't leave out the Navy ( note to self: get a better stand for that droopy F4U ), plus more USAAF types:Image
Last edited by Epap on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am

Can't forget the Germans plus a few Zeros:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 am

More Germans:Image

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Nice collection. I remember Matchbox plastic planes and tanks, but I don't remember seeing their diecast. About what time frame are they from?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm

That's awesome! I never knew they made anything other then the 109 and P-40's the jets are really cool, any idea where I can get my hands on some of them if not all???
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm

...and to think we were getting those for $15 or less back in the day!

I've got a bunch of the Matchbox 1:72 diecast planes myself. Mostly got them at Target. Along with my Corgi bombers, these were my first 1:72 items and I agree that they still hold up well! Easily comparable to Corgi and many had better paint jobs with weathering. I loved the 1:48 scale WWI planes that were part of this series.

Granted, some of the jets have been surpassed by the HobbyMaster offerings - particularly the F-104, F-100, and Mig-15, but Matchbox did offer a few unique toolings that by-and-large, were the first of their type in 1:72.

Epap, which ones of yours are repaints? I can ID many that were part of the standard line, but you also have some paintschemes that I didn't know existed, particularly with the German aircraft.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Post by snake » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Nice collection of Matchbox models, Ed. Thanks for posting them, with pictures. :D

Don't have any myself, but those that do seem to rate them quite highly, and they have held up well over time.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Very nice collection. I have had several of them. We picked them up at Toy r Us. I think they were around $8.99. I have seen that Robin Olds P-38 go for some big dollars. For their age and price they were some beautiful pieces. Too bad they did not have the landing gear option.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 am

grockwood wrote:Nice collection. I remember Matchbox plastic planes and tanks, but I don't remember seeing their diecast. About what time frame are they from?
Thanks. These date back to approximately 2002-3.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 am

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:That's awesome! I never knew they made anything other then the 109 and P-40's the jets are really cool, any idea where I can get my hands on some of them if not all???
Thanks.

Just search for Matchbox in the eBay listings for diecast aircraft and you will usually see a good number of these models.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

tmanthegreat wrote:...and to think we were getting those for $15 or less back in the day!

I've got a bunch of the Matchbox 1:72 diecast planes myself. Mostly got them at Target. Along with my Corgi bombers, these were my first 1:72 items and I agree that they still hold up well! Easily comparable to Corgi and many had better paint jobs with weathering. I loved the 1:48 scale WWI planes that were part of this series.

Granted, some of the jets have been surpassed by the HobbyMaster offerings - particularly the F-104, F-100, and Mig-15, but Matchbox did offer a few unique toolings that by-and-large, were the first of their type in 1:72.

Epap, which ones of yours are repaints? I can ID many that were part of the standard line, but you also have some paintschemes that I didn't know existed, particularly with the German aircraft.
My repaints are, in the first picture the green and sand Mig; second picture P-40 ( "White 35" ); third picture the OD P-38 and P-40 as well as the Aleutan P-40 and the two Hellcats on the extreme right ( "White 12 and 19"); fourth picture all German fighters except "Red 13" and "White 8"; last picture "Brown 4" and the first two Fw-190s in the upper row-----from left to right.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 am

Epap wrote:
The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:That's awesome! I never knew they made anything other then the 109 and P-40's the jets are really cool, any idea where I can get my hands on some of them if not all???
Thanks.

Just search for Matchbox in the eBay listings for diecast aircraft and you will usually see a good number of these models.
Thanks for th info, I did find these...
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0299910196
But I'm actually looking for the camo F-100, but maybe this could help someone else?
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm

That's a lot of Matchbox planes HP. I do see the Robin Olds P-38 in there. Hope he can ship them undamaged. I try to keep my Matchbox boxes intact though they're a pain to open and keep nice.

Have quite a few myself. The "Bunnie" P-51D was going for some good money when the Redtails movie came out there for a while.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Look carefully, I see a few broken props.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:21 pm

JollyRoger wrote:Look carefully, I see a few broken props.
Good thing you pointed that out, it looks as a P-47, and BF-109 has a missing prop, aswell as one of the smaller corsairs does too.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:27 am

I just checked the eBay Mastchbox listings and most of the planes, including several F-86s, are there and looking good. For the most part, the prices seem reasonable ($20-40).

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 am

Epap wrote:I just checked the eBay Mastchbox listings and most of the planes, including several F-86s, are there and looking good. For the most part, the prices seem reasonable ($20-40).
Yeah, they always have all but what I want though, I saw all of them BUT the F-100's, if anyone finds on at a decent $20-$30 price, let me know!

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 am

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:
Epap wrote:I just checked the eBay Mastchbox listings and most of the planes, including several F-86s, are there and looking good. For the most part, the prices seem reasonable ($20-40).
Yeah, they always have all but what I want though, I saw all of them BUT the F-100's, if anyone finds on at a decent $20-$30 price, let me know!
I have some info that might be of interest. Our museum "Connecticut Air and Space Center" received a HUGE donation this past fall of a collection of unbuilt plastic models ( several hundred) and diecast aircraft ( around 100 ). The donator wanted us to use them to generate income for the museum.The majority of the diecast are Corgi and Hobby Master. Now all of the diecast were displayed on shelves at the donators house. They are in beautiful condition. Some still have their box's most do not. The museum is planning on having a sale on all these pieces in the near future. If anyone you know is interested I will contact the museum director to see if he is interested in selling some on this site. I guess when he sends me a picture of the planes we have I will make a new post on the sale. I know we have 2 1/72 Hobby Master F-100's with stands and pieces for gear up or down configuration.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 am

That sounds great, even better that the money will go to the museum!

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am

Ok this could be a win win situation. The museum could get some revenue and some web site members could get some pieces at a good price. As soon as I get some pics I will put up a thread on the buy sell trade section.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Sounds promising. Will watch for it. 8)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:31 am

Nice collection. I have four of the Matchbox planes, but didn't realize they continued to introduce more models.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 am

If anyone is interested, a Dick Rutan F-100 is now being offered on eBay ( item no. 271164724533 ).