Amercom H-21 Shawnee

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Amercom H-21 Shawnee

Post by skypirate » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm

I purchased a 1/72 H-21 from a Polish seller on eBay and it arrived with some of the landing gear completely sheared off and other portions partially broken. The shipping box and the clam shell packaging are all in good condition, so I'm not sure how the damage happened, other than it looks a lot like their example with missing landing gear (I thought maybe it was a "some minor assembly required" situation)

I suspect my situation is much like aferguson's with 7TOYS7, ship it back at my expense and start over or give up.

I want to see if the sellar is willing to let me try to repair it and if successful, I'll keep it, if not, send it back. Any thoughts on the situation or what to repair it with, model glue or super glue?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Re: Amercom H-21 Shawnee

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 pm

a good seller would send a replacement. Have you asked?

fixing it will be tricky but do-able. You need to get everything lined up well. Use krazy glue or loctite. Loctite takes a bit longer to dry so it gives some time to make minor adjustments. Once dry a bit of sanding will get rid of any slight misalignment of parts and glue leakage. Touch up paint and you're done.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

I've sent a message noting I've received it broken, waiting to hear back. A replacement would certainly be preferable as I would worry about the durability of the repair. I hope they'll offer a replacement. With this packaging being so transparent, it would be hard to miss the broken pieces and there are no signs of abuse to the shipping box.

Thanks for the suggestions on the repairs.

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 am

Most of these Amercom models from Poland have parts that fall off , are bent, and or have to be re-glued.

If they have just fallen out of their sockets then you can easily re-glue, but broken or sheared off is a little harder to deal with.

It maybe tough to get another that doesn't have the same or similar symptoms. I have read similar things on other forums too about the Amercom helicopters. It's hit or miss sometimes.

I was looking at this particular helicopter and a few other unusual whirlybirds too.
I hesitate to order any more from Poland, but the prices from a couple of sellers are really good, and there doesn't seem to be any other places to get them so I may take a chance.

Let us know how this works out.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 am

I've had this same problem with some altaya models from Poland, such as gear on my C-17, and E-3, they were just off and not broken so I just used super glue to fix it, my Mi-28 had a missing rotor, so the seller (Storekeeper-Paradise) has sent me just a single rotor from a different model to replace the missing one, so depending on the damage and the seller, I'm sure it will go good either way you decide to deal with the issue.
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 am

Well the good news is the seller is going to replace it. But as many of you have pointed out and I've gathered, it seems to be hit or miss.

I went ahead and opened up the current one and the landing gear was actually more broken than it appeared. One segment even had been broken multiple times with a little 1/16 length piece clinging to the fuselage by static electricity.

Yes, Storekeeper-Paradise, they were really polite about it.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:27 pm

yes i've bought from him a few times, very good to deal with.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:09 pm

My second Amercom, an H-13 Sioux arrived Saturday. I'm thinking I'll pass on any further Amercom products.