Corgi Richtofen planes

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Corgi Richtofen planes

Post by skypirate » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:41 am

Since October, I've been on mild surge in acquiring a lot of past items on my wish list. This included the Corgi Fokker Dr.1 AA38304 and the Albatros D.V AA37801. The Fokker is pretty outstanding, but the Albatros is a bit of a let down. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges, very different designs, complexity, higher use of plastic in the Fokker, but it even from Corgi's own production photos, the Albatros always looked like it was produced by their third string team when it comes to fit and finish, unpainted plastic parts, glue, lots of glue. I guess things like the wing fit have been noted before and here, I suspect the the big difference is the Albatros appears to have an all metal upper wing and the Fokker's upper wing is plastic. In contrast, the Fokker is nicely finished, good fit, the prop is painted with a wood grain, motor and wheel hubs.

Just wondering it there's any story behind it, contracted it out, management, finiancial issues at the time?

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Corgi Richtofen planes

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 pm

I have a Corgi Albatross (not the Richtoffen version). I like the fact that its an Albatross and has a good paintjob, but I would have to agree with you on the seams and fittings being a bit sub-par compared to other offerings. I've not gotten a Corgi Fokker DV1, but have the old Matchbox Collectables Richtoffen version, which is nearly as good. I have a Corgi Fokker DVII and while its got a bit of plastic in the construction, is really a very nice model - much better than the Albatross.

Actually, I'm not as bugged about the use of plastic on "diecast" WWI planes. In actuality, these aircraft had very little metal in the construction and mostly used wood and doped fabric. If you've ever felt a cloth-covered aircraft wing, plastic would be closer in texture than metal :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Yeah, I've got their most recent Albatros ordered and on the way right now. The wing detail is quite impressive, lozenge and the tape. I have an over abundance of triplanes and was definitely ready for an Albatros or two. Very happy with the Corgi B-17 and the Dr.1.

I think plastic results in the better wing it on the Dr.1. The metal wing don't have as much flexibility. I don't mind plastic as long as it is painted to match the rest of the item. I like everything to fade or yellow from UV exposure consistently. :D

Love the Matchbox version, they did a really nice job with it and the cantilever struts aren't overly chunky.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 pm

You know, altaya has a VERY nice albatros that I'm probably going to get for my dad, you should check it out!
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 am

Not familiar with an Altaya Albatros. Just the Corgi and John Jenkins model.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 am

Here's a Dr.1
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 1177323315
And here's the albatros, click on the descriptions on the 2 to see more picture's
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 8885588841
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it