* New FoV Chaffee *

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: * New FoV Chaffee *

Post by MG-42 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 am

* I've always liked its functionality too but I always hated those stupid mud guards or fenders and that's why I like the new FoV one , it looks like it's suppose to w/o them and is the main reason why I decided to get it. FoV still needs to improve upon some of their crew figures.

........ Notice they chose the same Sherman tank commander figure as they did w/ this one & their Action series :roll: nothing new about that.

* Sigh ,.. oh well.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 am

Ah yes.. I'm with you Heer. $30 for FOV. $14.99 for 21st Century. $5-$7.99 for 21st Century in the clearance aisles. Those were the days...
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 pm

I ONLY buy "FOV" when it can be justified.
#1. If it has NOT been released yet.
#2. If it is a DIFFERENT version, early or late war. ZIMMERATE counts.
#3. If it is a REAL IMPROVEMENT upon it's predecessor.

Good example, FOV Germ. "HALFTRACK" of FOV "TIGER II" over 21st CENT.
The "CHAFFEE" sits 50/50 with 21st Cent, not enough to make the jump.

PLASTIC GENERAL

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:28 pm

I do like the fact the FOV Chaffee does not have the skirts. If I can get the right price, perhaps.. DS Stratton / 3000 Toys usually has decent prices but for some reason since they changed their website I am unable to bring up specific products. Has anyone had the same problem?
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 pm

DS Stratton/3000 Toys has the Chaffee for $59.99. That's the lowest I have seen it.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

miggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by miggles » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:21 am

If you wait a bit Smalljoes usually has FOV for a few dollars cheaper.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving."

-Col. Walter E Kurtz

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

From the trend I'm seeing, it might be better to pre-order the item, since many pre-orders are only $60. Some prices had jumped up to $70 plus shipping once the item is in stock. :shock:
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 am

I've seen some completed auctions on ePay go from $47 - $56.

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:39 am

Heer wrote:From the trend I'm seeing, it might be better to pre-order the item, since many pre-orders are only $60. Some prices had jumped up to $70 plus shipping once the item is in stock. :shock:
Just want to add, that this might not be seller greed.

I am sure the price we were quoted upon release and the price that we received them at changed, thus the retail price changed.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:49 pm

* I picked up my Chaffee's today and I must say I'm very pleased ,.. especially the new Eastern Front Tiger I. The camo paint job they did on it is exquisite 8) ... Moreover I'm quite impressed w/ the overall new packaging.

* Note of interest : The new Chaffee is best appreciated when you actually have one cause pics don't do it justice .
... same w/ the new Tiger . 8)

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:30 am

Mine isn't bad. I was annoyed that instead of "weathering" they painted all the road wheels in brown paint. The stowage isn't bad. I may add some more and repaint the FoV stuff. By the time the Chaffees started seeing widespread service (early 1945) they often appeared with all kinds of baggage on them. The M24s in Korea don't show near as much external stowage but all the tanks in Korea seemed to show up with lots of extra machine gun ammo boxes (both .30 and .50 caliber) on the fenders.

Kind of pricey for a tank with only one opening hatch! I'm glad I got one but won't buy multiples like I did with the 21C version.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:45 pm

I too bought the FOV M24. The difference between the FOV and the C21 versions are quite striking. The C21 version seems more detailed probably because it is slightly smaller/compact than the FOV version. The FOV tank has the better details with the lift rings and such. The casting detail on the hatches and gun mantle and weld detail are a bit overdone but nice to see. The paint seems to be more of a postwar shade, being a bit dark for a WW2 OD. Only the lower hull is weathered and it was done apart from the upper hull as the the dirt ends at a very distinct line on the front. Too bad the skirting couldnt be an optional add on. The FOV tank looks very plain with out it.

I plan to add some weathering to lighten up the paint a bit. Not a bad model, just maybe not quite worth the asking price unfortunately. Still a cut above 21st quality but the price reflects that...