FOV Recall?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

FOV Recall?

Post by rmoore456 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:12 pm

Stopped at two Targets today. Found two of the 1/72 Corsairs VMF-351 and VF-84. At the first Target I noticed that they did not have the 1/72 armor. Pegs were labeled for Hot Wheels. I thought they must have sold out and filled the pegs with HW till they were restocked. At the second store I noticed the same so I asked. The associate said that they were recalled due to a small part safety issue and it was company wide. I know they didn't sell out of them at the second store as it is local, I'm probably the only one who purchased any here. It must be a Target thing as they are still on e-tailers. Just when the Tiger was coming, damn!

Ray

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:20 pm

I noticed that too today! Darn, I should have grabbed some when I had the chance... collector's items now!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:29 pm

Interesting, yet kind of sad. I certainly see where the small part issue comes into play. Then again, the FOV products aren't really kids toys (despite what their TV commercial may say!) I wonder if this will affect the small retailers as well?

In my AO, only one Target seemed to get the 1:72 armor (along with the planes) while all the others just got the 1:72 planes and no armor. What ever the case, glad I got some tanks (from BCA) and a couple of the planes from Target. It was fun while it lasted!

BTW - rmoore, what did you think of the FOV Corsair?

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:39 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Interesting, yet kind of sad. I certainly see where the small part issue comes into play. Then again, the FOV products aren't really kids toys (despite what their TV commercial may say!) I wonder if this will affect the small retailers as well?

In my AO, only one Target seemed to get the 1:72 armor (along with the planes) while all the others just got the 1:72 planes and no armor. What ever the case, glad I got some tanks (from BCA) and a couple of the planes from Target. It was fun while it lasted!

BTW - rmoore, what did you think of the FOV Corsair?
Only the 1/72 tanks were removed. The planes and 1/32 stuff was still there.
The Corsairs are nice. I'm not that much of an enthusiast so I can't tell if something is not right historically. The panel lines seem a little heavy with black wash. Like the Hurricane you can have the landing gear out or retracted. The access panel for the guns is seperate with detailed ammo belts and guns in the recess. I thought the blue looked a little on the light side. There are two external fuel tanks were the package shows one.

Ray

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:21 am

I wondered what was going on with the tanks...I noticed too that at a couple of my Targets, the tanks were gone off the pegs. Now I know, oh well, I'll probably just order the enthusiast versions of the new Tiger and KT online.

easy8
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

--General George Patton Jr.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:56 am

The tanks were removed in San Antonio as well. :roll:

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:39 am

Hey Fovcollector, do you have any more info on this? Maybe through your connections with FOV you could find out what happened and if the planes will be next (hope not).

easy8

hawkonevoodoo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by hawkonevoodoo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm

easy8 wrote:Hey Fovcollector, do you have any more info on this? Maybe through your connections with FOV you could find out what happened and if the planes will be next (hope not).

easy8
I'm on it and you will have an answer very soon.
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill

hawkonevoodoo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by hawkonevoodoo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:31 pm

This was a Target corporate decision as they were concerned with possible offensive language. Since all models have the same UPC number all 8 models had to be sent back to the California supplier for correction. There is no small parts problem or defect associated with this recall, FOV still makes a quality product.
This doesn't effect the planes or any of the Enthusiast series die-cast, planes or tanks. Tanks should be available at Target again around the first week or so of October.
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:32 pm

Thanks for the update.
Todd

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

I wondered

Post by EnemyAce » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:20 pm

...about their use of the "B" word. I also noticed that there is no "For Ages 8+" warning on these, and thought that might be it. But that could be remedied with a sticker.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:35 pm

It would be interesting to know how they plan on taking that off. The amount of Shermans with mine ploughs that Target had across the US with all their stores, sounds like a huge project for who ever has to do it.

Wonder if they will just cover it up with something, scrub it off, or something else.

Airman001
Private First Class
Private First Class

Airman01

Post by Airman001 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:15 am

Today, I went to Target in Colorado Springs, CO, to purchase FOV aircraft and found that they still had the Churchill and Sherman. As I went to paid for them, they said they cannot sell me the 1/72 FOV armor units because they have been recalled by Target. THey did not know the reason for the recall. Does anyone know why Target is recalling the FOV 1/72 armor?

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Welcome Airman, check the above posts, sounds like someone had a problem with the words "Battling Bitch" that were on the side of the Sherman with the mineroller...not sure how they are correcting the situation, but according to a member of the forum "fovcollector", who has a pretty good line of communication with FOV, the tanks will be available again, next month after the "offensive language" is corrected, or removed or whatever.

easy8

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:05 pm

easy8 wrote:...the tanks will be available again, next month after the "offensive language" is corrected, or removed or whatever.

easy8
"Battlin Bitch" is repainted to read "Battlin B***h"

GI GENE
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GI GENE » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:08 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
easy8 wrote:...the tanks will be available again, next month after the "offensive language" is corrected, or removed or whatever.

easy8
Boy I hope not. That would look very stupid. Just leave it on or leave it off. Or replace it with Battlin Betty. Should make somebody's girlfriend happy...

victory
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by victory » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:44 pm

Well I went to Target yesterday and was going to pick up an 1:72 Abrams. I took it to the register where the clerk indicated the item has been recalled and can't be sold. I little fustrating and unfortunately for FOV, the mess has yet to be resolved. I guess I'll have to buy online.

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:54 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:

easy8
Apparrently Target is handling this by not carrying the Sherman. Every store I have been in has had only the Churchill, T-72 and Abrams. From other recon reports people are finding wave two and the same first three, not the Sherman.

Ray

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:29 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:

easy8

I saw some ofthe Shermans the other day and the name has been totally taken off.. :wink:
Last edited by hworth18 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

nfafan
Sergeant
Sergeant

My Targets only have - -

Post by nfafan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:08 pm

Restocked the shelves with the Abrams, Churchill, and T72. The Shermies have not yet re-appeared, and no sign of the Tigers whatsoever.

Law
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Law » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:53 am

I had found these guys at Target a few weeks ago, and when I got to the cashier they were snatched away and I was told about the recall (but not the reason)

Recently, they-ve reshowed, but no Sherman.

I didn't know whom I was more annoyed with -- the people who made the recall necessary, or Unimax for being so naive about the culture today as to think you could put "bitch" on a toy and nobody would mind. It may be stupid, but how could they not see it coming...?

Ah, well. I gots 'em now. Like the man in the Fawlty Towers ep. said, "I've got my Waldorf salad!"

Law

GI GENE
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GI GENE » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm just ticked now that Sherman will become a rare piece that will go up in price as everyone trips over everybody to get one, or several.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:48 pm

GI GENE wrote:I'm just ticked now that Sherman will become a rare piece that will go up in price as everyone trips over everybody to get one, or several.
I personally doubt it will go up in price. All the online dealers and hobby shops (also Walmart) still carry and sell the Sherman as it was originally made. But in the odd chance that it does go up in value, I'm glad I still have 6 or so in the packaging. :wink:

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:51 pm

The now rare Sherman is on sale at BCA. 8)

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

bboc
Corporal
Corporal

What's really rare?

Post by bboc » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:19 pm

The ones that are more likely to be rare are the redone units, because very few of the folks who bought several of the originals are going to want to put more money into more mine-roller Shermans.