Oxford 1/72 Diecast military aircraft

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Oxford 1/72 Diecast military aircraft

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:10 am

we recently took on the Oxford military aircraft line and just received the planes. I was impressed with the details and paint. these are retailing for around 19.99 which is very affordable in today’s market. I also like the that they include a display stand that identifies the plane and pilot.
I was wondering what the forum thought of this line especially our UK brothers who have had access to these die cast pieces
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

jkinzel

Re: Oxford 1/72 Diecast military aircraft

Post by jkinzel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:02 am

:( No pilot,no buy.

the_bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by the_bird » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:19 am

thats funny :lol:
i dont like the pilots i never use then in my models

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:12 pm

I like pilots and they are a selling point for me. Corgi, Hobby Master, and FOV aircraft always recieved bonus points in my book for including pilots. Hobby Master especially because they were removable 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:44 pm

I have a number of the Atlas models, which use the same toolings. These seem to be slightly altered knock offs of Corgi, HM and IXO products, though a few newbies---the Arado-196 and TA-152, for example----are included. They tend to be fairly crude, with low quality add-on parts, fixed props and, in some cases, odd paint jobs. The LA-7 and Tony were decent models, though the latter sported the wrong insignias in terms of size and color and the other markings featured show through when the base paint was a dark green. The Arado-196 is quite good, though they forgot to include the fairings for the wing guns. On the other hand, the "MC-202"---actually a MC-205--- is one of the worst models I have seen. It features veritable trenches on portions of the wings posing as panel lines, broomsticks sticking out of the wings representing canons and, worst of all, they forgot to indicate the main landing gear in the "wheels up" mode. As if that wasn't enough, the "desert" camouflage is has a cream base, not sand yellow or light hazel, as it should be, and ---to save time---they used the undersurface light gray for what should be a white fuselage band, spinner and the cross on the vertical stabilizer. This particular "gem" isn't on the initial Oxford menu but I assume that it is coming. Even a new paint scheme won't make it a good buy, however.

Overall, I'd recommend great care with the Oxford line and careful examination of whatever pictures are available as well as reviews of the Atlas models, which have appeared on various forums. The new Tony, even though it comes without a pilot, has a pretty nice looking new scheme and I have it on order. I can also can recommend the DO-335, Arado-196, Mosquito, LA-7 and some others. But this line is really designed for the price conscious, not too demanding segment of the collector market, not those who expect Corgi or HM quality.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Greetings

I had gotten the Oxford Battle of Britain three plane set awhile back before selling it to a board member. I sold it mainly because I don't collect 1/72. The three planes included were a Spitfire, Hurricane and a Gladiator. I would have liked to seen a Defiant in the set instead of the Gladiator but was pretty impressed with the set and I liked the box artwork for the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. I thought the planes were decent, the paint nice and the display stands a nice touch as well. I've seen far more crude aircraft out there than these little guys.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:44 am

Yeah for the price I think they're just fine. I don't care about pilots either, I'm not gonna pass up a nice looking plane just because it doesn't have a little slag of plastic that looks like the toxic avenger anyways.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 pm

I've heard they have fixed props?

I refuse to consider them because of this, serious turn off for me, more then not having pilots.
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am

ive been taking a closer look and did some comparing with skymax,HM and Dragon. I think the paint looks really good on most all of the pieces. I understand the issue with the propellers and pilots. for me those 2 things aren’t a big deal. they have been selling very well already. so I guess time will tell
Last edited by AMERICAN_GRENADIER on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:09 pm

I understand that some of the more interesting Oxford birds---the Arado-196 , TA-152 and DO-335 are scheduled for the next batch. This should perk sales as these are, indeed "unusual"---especially the first two.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Arado-196 is a winner!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Here's a picture of my reworked Arado 196. It's been stained and weathered and the missing wing gun fairings were added:Image

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:11 pm

very nice
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Epap wrote:Here's a picture of my reworked Arado 196. It's been stained and weathered and the missing wing gun fairings were added:Image

That Arado looks great Ed.

A good gap filler.

Gambit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gambit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:03 am

I like having pilots but these planes don't have landing gear which is a non-starter for me.
That's why they don't cost much
Nice Arado, always liked the float planes :D
What scale is it?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:42 pm

The Arado ,like all of the current series of Atlas/Oxford models, is in 1:72nd scale.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:45 pm

My local Hobbytown got in the fully selection of the Oxford Diecast planes within the past few days. They do look nice and the price is good as well. They have a varied aircraft selection to boot. If anything, they are like diecast versions of the MRC models. Nothing, however, was really a turn-on for me as I have diecast examples of most of the same planes in 1:72 already that I would consider better quality. I'll probably just stick with Hobby Master & Corgi for the time being, though some of the more interesting birds in Oxfords second wave seem rather interesting.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."