FOV 1/32 88 flak Normandy 80234 Mini-review

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

FOV 1/32 88 flak Normandy 80234 Mini-review

Post by Heer » Sat May 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Just recieved this piece after arguing with myself in the shower for days :mrgreen: as to whether to get the FOV 88 or not, but I finally caved in.

The review:
I just opened it and was really surprised at the detail that fov had done with this piece. It was a pain getting the trailer detached, and the instructions sheet was somewhat confusing. Getting the gun out of the package was a nightmare, but looked good once displayed. The figures that were included were awesome. There were 2 loaders,1 observation guy, and 2 men manning the gun. Extra shells and cases were included in this et as well. The gun can be displayed with or without the gun shield. Details were excellent and a considerable amount of rust marks and weathering can be seen. I got the Normandy version and goes well with my zundapp motorcycle and kubelwagen.

Pictures:Flying Mule has some good pictures: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/UM-80234

Price: This piece can be surprising expensive, and is more expensive then FOV's tanks. I managed to find one for $52.00 shipped. However, now I feel that it was worth every penny that I spent! :D :D :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: FOV 1/32 88 flak Normandy 80234 Mini-review

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat May 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Glad you like the FOV 88mm gun! Its one of my favorite FOV pieces and I've had it on permanent display since I got it. I have the original S1 gray version, but have been tempted to get the Normandy version as well (along with their Sdkfz 7 prime mover to tow it). To the credit of Unimax, their 1:32 scale 88mm gun is really just as well detailed as the 21c 1:18 scale version and has many of the same features.

Heer, in your review, I'm surprised you didn't mention what I think is the coolest feature of the FOV 88mm gun - the working traverse and elevation cranks!

Watch the cranks the next time you elevate the barrel or move the gun to the left or right and you'll see that they move. In fact, you should be able to move the barrel up or down or traverse it by moving the cranks carefully. See the picture below for the the ones I'm talking about:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sat May 21, 2011 11:55 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Glad you like the FOV 88mm gun! Its one of my favorite FOV pieces and I've had it on permanent display since I got it. I have the original S1 gray version, but have been tempted to get the Normandy version as well (along with their Sdkfz 7 prime mover to tow it). To the credit of Unimax, their 1:32 scale 88mm gun is really just as well detailed as the 21c 1:18 scale version and has many of the same features.

Heer, in your review, I'm surprised you didn't mention what I think is the coolest feature of the FOV 88mm gun - the working traverse and elevation cranks!

Watch the cranks the next time you elevate the barrel or move the gun to the left or right and you'll see that they move. In fact, you should be able to move the barrel up or down or traverse it by moving the cranks carefully. See the picture below for the the ones I'm talking about:

Ah, yes! I have the 88 in front of me right now and the right crank turns when the gun turns. the left crank turns when I raise or lower the gun. Very interesting. The sdkfz 7 prime mover will be an excellent companion to the 88. However, I don't think that the prime mover will match the gray 88 though. I don't think fov made a gray version yet.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Sun May 22, 2011 1:16 am

Good review of a great product, understandably its one of the more popular 1:32 FoV, being such a great model.

I blogged about this a while ago, you may find it of interest.

http://www.wrightscollectables.co.uk/bl ... n-normandy
I don't think fov made a gray version yet.
No and I doubt they will. Also, the Prime Mover is getting to be quite rare, atleast in the UK.

DomiUK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DomiUK » Sun May 22, 2011 9:18 am

I actually bought the gray flak 2 days ago from modelzone newcastle (UK) and the prime move (yellow) for 29.99 and 39.99 in there sale.

They had quite a good few pieces at similar prices but very chuffed with the flak at that price. Bothe of those were the last ones.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun May 22, 2011 12:16 pm

FOV's prime mover looks good as well. Might have to pick one up one of these days. Just need to find a good price for it, since they could cost $60.00. :o :o

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:38 am

* You cannot beat 21st.C's 88mm Flak for versatility , durability , and accuracy.

1 ) - it can be towed behind the Sdkfz. 7 Troop Carrier / FoV cannot , its towing arm is mounted backwards and the transport locking mechanism is permanently stuck in the (open) position.

2 ) - + the FoV one is Fragile and more prone to breakage , especially when trying to just remove it from the box.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *