Best-Engineered BBI 1/32 Plane

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Best-Engineered BBI 1/32 Plane

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 am

I am going with the Dauntless.

As much as I like the Wildcat and Phantom, I like the fact the Dauntless' landing gear are retractable.
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Best-Engineered BBI 1/32 Plane

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sat May 07, 2011 6:14 am

AGREED! i wish they would reissue this piece
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat May 07, 2011 6:39 am

I agree with the Dauntless. Also agree with re-issuance.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:57 am

Greetings

Have to agree with the Dauntless although the Phantom is a very close second in my book. Although the gear did not retract, the detail on the Phantom was amazing. I wish they would reissue all of their 1/32 pieces...they'd sell easily.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat May 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Not a whole lot to choose from here, but I'm going with the SBD. It's my favorite of all 1:32 pre-builts including 21stC planes I have so far.
I've opened my Dauntless and Wildcat and hang them from my ceiling. I really couldn't give an objective opinion of the Phantom because it's still in the box.

All three need to be released again.
Maybe BBI will jump on the bandwagon if AllGo is successful with their new upcoming releases. That's a big IF all the way around, but we can only hope.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat May 07, 2011 1:14 pm

I agree with the above statement that there's not a lot of variety with BBI 1:32 models, but these are the best engineered and best detailed 1:32 aircraft outside of the premium diecast collectable realm.

In terms of "best engineered" it would have to be the Dauntless. It combines the best combination of working features with detail and durability. I like the working landing gear, sliding canopy, elevating guns, bomb trapeze, pilot figures, and of course, the supurb level of detail. It may not have all the moving control surfaces that other planes in this scale have, but this actually makes the model sturdier and does not detract from the plane. I think BBI would have been wiser to have gone with a more popular early-war Coral Sea or Midway scheme on the Dauntless (especially as this was their only release) but the plane still looks good and represents an aircraft based on the famous carrier Enterprise and taking part in the important battle of Truk Lagoon.

My favorite aircraft, however, is the F-4 Phantom. The detail is superior to any of the BBI 1:18 jets (and most 1:32 models as well), it is large for a 1:32 aircraft, and it simply looks flashy in that early 1960s VF-84 livery. It is also the only pre-built Phantom model in a scale larger than 1:48.

The Wildcat is great as well, though its probably the most plain of the bunch in terms of looks and detial.
However, the Wildcat has the most interesting history behind it of all the BBI aircraft - It was flown by USMC Col. (then 2nd Lt) James Swett during the Battle of Guadalcanal. Flying that aircraft on April 7, 1943 (on his first combat mission) Swett was credited with shooting down 7 Japanese Vals and 1 probable before being shot down himself by both enemy and friendly fire - an action for which he received the Medal of Honor.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat May 07, 2011 1:52 pm

I would love to see a repaint for the Dauntless in pre to early war blue and yellow colors like the 1/32 (I think) Hobbymaster version.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:40 am

I will vote for the Dauntless as well. Mine was flawless in detail and coincidentally I can tie it in with the heritage of my 5 yr old daughter. More on that later. However I gave mine away to my pastor because his father was a radio/gunner on a Dauntlless in WWII. He had a memorial display in his office dedicated to his fathers military service and no accurate representation of the Dauntless. He was thrilled to have received it and I was blessed to have given it. He also has a display of his own service awards from "nam". It is quite impressive as well for he was a platoon leader in unit that was all but wiped out. He was shot , stabbed, blownup, but still survived to become a pastor.
Now for my daughters association with the BBI Dauntless. Her mother was born and grewup on the island of Fefan which is one of the islands that forms the lagoon of Truk. My daughters Great-grand mother was forced to be a concubine of the Japanese garrison and her great uncle is half japanese. The island is littered with war relics and even the school playground had a destroyed tank on it. Her Aunt owns part of the property that alledgedly had a cliff overhang /cave that the japanese would hide their airplanes in. Prior to the American invasion the Japanese blew up the mouth to the cave to hide planes and equipment. The jungle has since reclaimed the land. To this day it remains sealed and untouched. Their family believes theres a treasure of things hidden, but it is a very poor family and it would take an excavator to uncover whatever is there. She once gave permission for a man to try to open the cave. He had a very small bulldozer that he was going to use but it broke down just trying to build a path to the site and now it lies abandoned. Who knows what really is there but its intreging to think about. Thats the story told to me and I'll pass it on so my daughter will know about her diverse history.

Eric

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun May 08, 2011 10:41 am

Great stories Tanker. I'll bet there's something of historical and monetary value left in that cave. I would love to go to Truk. Have you been there? Have you ever seen a flying fish?

I was born on Kanton in the Kiribati islands east of there in the Gilberts. While my nurse mother and USAAF father went to work, I was taken care of by Detana and Tetoa, Kiribati natives. Wonderful and kind people, from what I remember as a tot.

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 pm

No I have not visited there. Someday? I have been to Philippines and Hawaii so I leapfrogged it. You have a uniquie heritaqe also, Dauntless. No to the flying fish sighting. Thanks for your interest in my stories.

Eric

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun May 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah Kanton atoll (Abariringa now) was abandoned by PanAm with the jet age, and US, Great Britain and Australian contingents left too. We even had Japanese neighbors. So many people from other countries, nothing to do but celebrate every holiday from each one including the natives. You can't even get there unless you're on a special expedition or chartered boat. Even the few remaining natives have it hard. Afraid I'll never see it again. :cry:

Truk on the other hand is a well known war relic diving destination and a large lush island.
I don't think I'd ever come back if I went. It's cool you have relatives there, and a very good reason to visit. I'd find a way to check out that cave if you could. Probably expensive just to get out there though.

I wonder if there's a few SBD's like the BBI Enterprise version we got in that lagoon too?

snake

Post by snake » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Remember your pastor story, Tanker. Very touching. :D

Limited choices, and they are all good.

Wildcat is the weakest. Like the Dauntless, but also have the superior HM versions.

Have to give it easily to the Phantom. A truly unique model, that wish BBI would do in some other schemes.

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:31 am

I would love to have the Phantom, hope they will remake it in the future.