JJ Designs 1/30 Knights of the Sky Fokker Triplane Review

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

JJ Designs 1/30 Knights of the Sky Fokker Triplane Review

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Greetings:

I have always had a love for World War I aviation. As a young child in grade school, my grandfather built the stick and tissue models of World War I airplanes and hung them in his woodshop. We also made yearly trips to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome and watched the World War I reproductions they fly in their weekly airshows. When I was in fifth grade, we made wooden Fokker Triplanes in his woodshop. These two models are still in my collection today and I view them as my favorite pieces along with a B-17 we made as well.

As a result, my eyes always go to World War I pieces. For me, I like a larger model in my collection, and in terms of World War I, there just isn't much out there in a larger scale unless you want to build it. Being a school teacher, I don't have the time to build as I used to. The Corgi World War I fighters caught my eye but I never managed to buy one and after having bad experiences with the large scale Authentic Models pieces, I moved away from those.

I recently found out about the John Jenkins "Knights in the Sky" series of World War I airplanes the company is doing. Upon going to the Sierra Toy Soldier website I saw that two of the airplanes had been released, the Fokker Triplane and the Sopwith Camel. The Fokker Triplane has always been a favorite of mine, so using some gift money from Christmas, I went ahead and purchased it and the Sopwith Camel.

The Fokker Triplane is 1/30 scale and both models arrived in plane, very sturdy white boxes. The boxes actually come wrapped in white tissue paper to protect them. Upon opening the box, I was immediately impressed. Using special cut foam padding, John Jenkins designs makes sure the Fokker Triplane is secured for shipping. The plane is very well protected and I imagine this generous and wonderful packing is included in the price of the model. For me, getting a model in top condition is always exciting and it is expected, there is no excuse for it today. I can't complain here, John Jenkins does an incredible job on the packing.

This is a view of the model out of the box. For the Triplane, John Jenkins chose to model the red Triplane flown by the Red Baron. The model is finished in a bit of a darker red than the bright red models you usually see. I believe the darker red to be more accurate. The model is nicely weathered and reflects an appearence that would be typical in the field. The model is made from mixed materials including metal, resin and some plastic components.

This is a view from the side. The model features some wonderful details including the foot steps and wing skids under the bottom wing. Markings are crisp and look good.

A view from the front showing the propellor and engine. Rigging wires are present where they would be on the Triplane and seem sturdy and strong. Engine detail is nice and presents nicely (on the Camel, the rotary engine turns with the prop). My only complaint here is that if John Jenkins was using mixed media, a wooden propellor would have been awesome!

A view from behind. The wing markings are interesting as the top crosses have actually been painted over to the new style, just like they would have been in the field.

Another view of the triplane. Cockpit is nicely detailed with a compass, control stick and wooden seat. Given the price of the model, a pilot would have been a nice addition though I am sure I can find a suitable candidate in my parts box.

View of the model with its weathered red finish. In my opinion, and seeing the Corgi models, I like this model a bit better in the finish department. I think it is a more authentic appearence for the plane. The Corgi models are nice but look too new. These aircraft were used in the field, sat out in the elements, and weren't the cleanest running machines in the world. I like the used look.

For comparison sake, a Fokker Triplane reproduction in the "Red Baron" color scheme. This one is owned by the Great War Flying Museum in Canada. Someone needs to tell the pilot to ditch the radio and the sunglasses though. :)

Overall Impression: A very nice model long overdue as a "built" plane in this scale area. I like the detail and the finish. Overall fit, scale appearence and quality is excellent. The nice job in packing certainly goes a long way to impressing the purchaser, as it shows this is a company who takes their product and its quality seriously. The model is very lightweight and must be handled carefully, a forgetful swing of a hand and this would go "flying" off a shelf. For the price, a pilot to fly it would have been a nice touch. A wooden propellor would be quite neat as well. For those that do not build and can pay the price, this is a worthy addition to a model airplane collection.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: JJ Designs 1/30 Knights of the Sky Fokker Triplane Revie

Post by 456THBG » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks for the post! The Fokker Triplane is probably the nicest version, in any scale, that I have seen...I'm sure the Camel & upcoming Spad will be the same.
However.....
Close to $200 each is really heavy! I'm getting ready to spend just slightly less than that on Corgi's new 1/32 Mosquito, so my 1/32 budget for 2011 is going fast!
Anyway, those are extremely nice models & as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.
Thanks, again, for the post & in-depth review :D

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:55 pm

CORYEAGLE48:

Nice photos of an impressive model. I'm not impressed with Corgi's World War I planes because of their toyish appearance and lumpy styling, although I have several from Corgi and Carousel 1. I've been hoping Admiral would release its 1/18 Camel and Triplane, but that doesn't appear likely.
The price of the John Jenkins planes are along the lines of Collectors Showcase armor---I might buy one if I find the right price for the right model.
Unfortunately, for $200, John Jenkins should include a pilot.

KSaint
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KSaint » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:13 pm

You might want to check out the SIerra Toy Soldier site again. Coming out in February is the next plane, a Nieuport 17 flown by Canadian ace Billy Bishop. There is also a ground crew for the triplane.

I've talked to John Jenkins and he hasn't decided yet about making pilots to sit in the planes. He is making standing pilots. Currently he only has Capt Roy Brown.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 am

Greetings

Pass along to John that I love both planes a lot and will get the Nieuport. I hope he keeps making different planes and they don't do too many repaints. Just looking at the numbering system they seem to be using, I'm thinking it will be a 10 plane series. Hope they are all different planes. I really don't need 5 Triplanes, but 10 nice WWI models of different planes, I'd go for that.

The pilots in the cockpits aren't a big deal to me. Would be nice but not entirely required.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Those are very nice, Corey. 8)

Pretty expensive, but the detail and weathering are great. And although I am not knowledgeable about WWI models, not sure if anyone else does these in 1/30 scale.

They look to be a true collectors model. But I tend to agree for $200 it would be nice to have the pilot included.

Thanks for posting this, and congrats on your beautiful model. :wink: