FOV 2011 Releases

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

FOV 2011 Releases

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Read this on the Motor Pool earlier today:

"In a roundabout fashion, we've learned that Unimax' will be offering a number of new diecast toolings in 2011 along with a plethora of repainted products. New to the game will be a US 1-1/2 ton truck and German 4x4 ambulance, both designed for the 1:32 scale crowd. For the 1:72 scale collectors, look forward to wrapping your mitts around a Hetzer light tank destroyer and Czech-built 38(t) medium tank. In the air, aviation buffs will get to play with a AH-1Z Cobra attack helicopter, German Fw 190A fighter and F-22 Raptor Air Dominance Fighter. While images are still forthcoming, you can peruse the entire collection of new recruits in our December 2010 Additions section, which is located within the Product Roundup link....."

Since I am a 1/32 guy, my fellow 1/32 collectors and I can expect at least a 1-1/2 ton truck and a German 4x4 ambulance (The wording above implies there will be more offerings, but probably just more repaints). I'm not too excited about these two vehicles too much though as I have a feeling they are just going to take their Opel and add and ambulance rear section, and then take the deuce and a half and chop off the back set of wheels and make the bed shorter and call it the Chevy 1 1/2 ton. I really think a churchill, cromwell, crusader, hummel, nashorn, jagdpanzer IV, M4A1 sherman, bren carrier, M10, JS-2, t-34/76(All you need is a turret FOV! WTF!), SU-76 or M-13/41 (And much more) would sell better than those two are going to sell. I hope they come out with some new AFVs soon, because I for one am fed up with soft skin vehicles. They could even make a number of new armored vehicles by taking already existing ones and swapping out new superstructures or turrets (M4-M4A1/M10; t34/85-t34/76; panzer IV G-jagdpanzer IV/hummel/nashhorn). As you can tell I am pretty frustrated with this manufacturer.

-Kevin

Dauntless

Re: FOV 2011 Releases

Post by Dauntless » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 pm

I'd like to know more about that GMC 1 1/2 ton. It would be nice if it were a command car. I suppose it'll be like you say, just put a shorter bed on it much like 21st did with the 1:18 Dodge and several different versions of it, including the Patton command car which was cool.
Still I think I'll buy it just to add to the convoy. It'll be different enough and there aren't any other GMC's out there in 1:32 so whatever they offer it'll probably do well.

The Opel Ambulance could be interesting if it comes out in gray first. Probably just a repaint. I wasn't too thrilled with their last one. The 21st blows it away in detail and is still easily available for reasonable prices. Might be better off just buying a 21st Opel and painting some crosses on it.

Thanks for the news.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:12 pm

[quote] Since I am a 1/32 guy, my fellow 1/32 collectors and I can expect at least a 1-1/2 ton truck and a German 4x4 ambulance (The wording above implies there will be more offerings, but probably just more repaints). I'm not too excited about these two vehicles too much though as I have a feeling they are just going to take their Opel and add and ambulance rear section, and then take the deuce and a half and chop off the back set of wheels and make the bed shorter and call it the Chevy 1 1/2 ton. I really think a churchill, cromwell, crusader, hummel, nashorn, jagdpanzer IV, M4A1 sherman, bren carrier, M10, JS-2, t-34/76(All you need is a turret FOV! WTF!), SU-76 or M-13/41 (And much more) would sell better than those two are going to sell. I hope they come out with some new AFVs soon, because I for one am fed up with soft skin vehicles. They could even make a number of new armored vehicles by taking already existing ones and swapping out new superstructures or turrets (M4-M4A1/M10; t34/85-t34/76; panzer IV G-jagdpanzer IV/hummel/nashhorn). As you can tell I am pretty frustrated with this manufacturer./quote]

Just what I have been thinking---have been disappointed with FOV
Nailed it!

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm pretty happy about that Hetzer.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:27 pm

The hetzer sounds interesting. I will be waiting for further news on that tank.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:30 pm

NHoggard12 wrote:
Since I am a 1/32 guy, my fellow 1/32 collectors and I can expect at least a 1-1/2 ton truck and a German 4x4 ambulance (The wording above implies there will be more offerings, but probably just more repaints). I'm not too excited about these two vehicles too much though as I have a feeling they are just going to take their Opel and add and ambulance rear section, and then take the deuce and a half and chop off the back set of wheels and make the bed shorter and call it the Chevy 1 1/2 ton. I really think a churchill, cromwell, crusader, hummel, nashorn, jagdpanzer IV, M4A1 sherman, bren carrier, M10, JS-2, t-34/76(All you need is a turret FOV! WTF!), SU-76 or M-13/41 (And much more) would sell better than those two are going to sell. I hope they come out with some new AFVs soon, because I for one am fed up with soft skin vehicles. They could even make a number of new armored vehicles by taking already existing ones and swapping out new superstructures or turrets (M4-M4A1/M10; t34/85-t34/76; panzer IV G-jagdpanzer IV/hummel/nashhorn). As you can tell I am pretty frustrated with this manufacturer./quote]

Just what I have been thinking---have been disappointed with FOV
Nailed it!
Disappointed with FOV? Then what 1:32 vehicle manufacturer are you happy with?

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Well, yes, FOV is the only 1/32 company with a fairly strong standing.
And yes, they are the only one producing 1/32 armor.
However, I am disappointed with their choices and repaints.
At least we get something though.

I see you handled the 'quote' function properly. :D

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:15 pm

[quote="EnemyAce]Disappointed with FOV? Then what 1:32 vehicle manufacturer are you happy with?[/quote]

Panzerarm Inc.

I've been having to create my own, and if it weren't for serious time contraints I'd probably be satisfied making my own creations. Because I have so little time to dedicate to the creation of my own stuff I have to depend on companies like FOV. But as you can tell, their business model doesn't exactly satisfy my 1/32 AFV craving. Lately I've been buying up a lot of Figarti's 1/32 armor and figures. A little more expensive and some stuff is hard to find, but at least it is something new to my collection.

-Kevin

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 pm

You know, I've recently been eying the old Opel kits on ebay with an urge to make an ambulance. I tried to get a Maultier kit to build an AA platform on back but those are getting almost as pricy as a new FOV piece. Just a question of who will break down and build it first: me or FOV.

One advantage for me with FOV is I don't have to buy them. For birthdays and Christmas they are at a decent price point for some of my relatives who don't want to have to think about what to get me. Frees me up to save my money for model kits in 1/32, which none of my relatives know squat about and quite frankly I'd be scared to see what some of them might purchase.

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:27 am

I'm glad there's some news on the new FOV for next year. The 1 1/2 ton truck seems like a pretty good idea, and hopefully that new ambulance isn't a repaint, they could at least re-tool it a little.

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:09 am

Yeah, at least we still have FOV.
Sometimes, I am just surprised at their releases, especially in the past year; that is all.
Anyway, the only other 1/32 release that I have heard of is another repaint (s4) of the 251 halftrack.

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:31 pm

I think it poor show on FOV on the lack of British stuff being made when you think we were in the war from the start ! :evil:

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:01 pm

uksubs wrote:I think it poor show on FOV on the lack of British stuff being made when you think we were in the war from the start ! :evil:
:( And also how about some WW2 French tanks.I want a FOV Char Bis or a Somua.Every time there is a K&C or Tamiya Char Bis on Evilbay it always gets BIG Bucks.But I'm afraid that most US buyers think there was only America fighting Germany with a little help from Soviet Union for WW2 Europe.Think we have enuff Tigers and Shermans yet??LOL.

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:45 pm

My bet is they went with the 1.5 because the 2.5 was such a big hit. There has been pent up demand for years for a US truck, and I know it sold VERY well.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:28 am

I'm happy to hear new 1/32 vehicles will be available in 2011. I wish they would make a US ambulance similar to the one seen regularly on MASH or in the Dirty Dozen. I agree with many of you with respect to other armor that hasn't been made including but not limited to British, French, Italian.... I guess I understand the infatuation with the Tiger and the Sherman and the Panzer but enough already.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 pm

With what looks possibly like only 2 or 3 releases for 2011, I just don't see FOV releasing anything thats not a more well known vehicle. I would guess they believe that only very hard core collectors are familiar with French, Italian, etc. vehicles. They are going to have to release vehicles that appeal to the widest range of collectors.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:43 pm

Do you think they'll male a 1/72 F-101? That's what I want.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:20 pm

hotrodrock wrote:With what looks possibly like only 2 or 3 releases for 2011, I just don't see FOV releasing anything thats not a more well known vehicle. I would guess they believe that only very hard core collectors are familiar with French, Italian, etc. vehicles. They are going to have to release vehicles that appeal to the widest range of collectors.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. If they are trying to appeal to the widest audience, why on earth would they make something that is almost identical to a previous release (US 1 1/2 ton) and an ambulance. Generally it's the tanks and armored vehicles that appeal to the greatest numbers, especially when taking into account the non-collector demographic. And the future of these vehicles are both pretty slim saying that most people aren;t gogin to buy multiple ambulances and the outlook of repaints for a Us 1 1/2 ton is almost nil. I think several of the tanks I have mentioned, namely the T34-76, would be very simple to produce, and would rake in serious revenue.

-Kevin
Last edited by PanzerArm on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Double post

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 pm

I'd like to see a new T34 or how about an ETO Matilda, a 'Screaming Mimi' Sherman, a British North Africa Stuart, etc. FOV has many options with its current inventory and I am pleased to see something new like the 1 1/2 ton truck. Let's face it, FOV is the only game left in town.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:30 pm

PanzerArm wrote:
hotrodrock wrote:With what looks possibly like only 2 or 3 releases for 2011, I just don't see FOV releasing anything thats not a more well known vehicle. I would guess they believe that only very hard core collectors are familiar with French, Italian, etc. vehicles. They are going to have to release vehicles that appeal to the widest range of collectors.
If they are trying to appeal to the widest audience, why on earth would they make something that is almost identical to a previous release (US 1 1/2 ton) and an ambulance. Generally it's the tanks and armored vehicles that appeal to the greatest numbers, especially when taking into account the non-collector demographic.

-Kevin
They make them becasue they are more recognizable to the general buying public than anything used by the French or Italians. Lots of people who are not real collectors might see an episode or two of some WWII programs on the Military or History channel. They see lots of trucks, Shermans, Tigers, Panthers, etc. How many Valentines, Semovente da 75/18 M40's, or Renault R-35's do you see. None. Unless its a program specifically about North Africa, you won't see many Matildas or Crusaders.