Dragon Armor Panther G(60125) Review

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Dragon Armor Panther G(60125) Review

Post by Heer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Introduction: The panther was, by all means, basically the German copy of the t-34. It's sloped armour was directly influenced by the t-34. Nonetheless, it was probably one of the best medium tanks by the end of the war.

The model: This panther's camoflage is heavy and is a bit oversprayed. The heavy camoflage is appropriate, since allied aircraft were always on the lookout for potential victims. I actually found it surprising that it's camoflage was heavier than my normandy tiger. It does not come with an AA machine gun or side skirt, which was normally seen ion many German tanks in normandy.. Dragon did a good job with this panther, and is, I believe their only normandy panther.. The details are excellent, considering that this tank was mass produced. The model also comes witha display case, which is useful, since this tank is more of a eyes-only model.

The tank: Although no information on the tanks division was given I suspect that it is part of the 12ss panzer division (can anybody support this or refute this fact?). It's tactical number, which is "135", suggests this is the 5th vehicle.

Overall: This panther is one of amy all time favorite tank in the dragon armor series. It's price is also affordable, only $11.99. Get it, you won't be disappointed!! :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Dragon Armor Panther G(60125) Review

Post by tparkhere » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am

Great review.

BTW. Where did you get the Panther for $11.99? It took me forever to find this Panther and I had to pay premium for it :?

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 am

I purchased this on ebay a few months ago. I think I paid $6 for the panther, and 6 dollars for shipping. I was actually lucky to find this jem in MIB condition. I have actually been on the lookout for months before I made this lucky score. :)
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi all

Great review Heer, thanks

To say that Panther was a copy of T-34 is a bit of exaggeration. It was samewhat influenced by it, but not too much.

I have seen another photo of this vehicle before, taken in the captured hardware depot somewhere in France, but can't find it now.

It's an unidentified panther, although most sources credit it to 12 SS Pz. Div. HJ in Normandy. Dragons interpretation of the paint job was taken from Aj-Press 8-volume Panther monograph by Trojca. On the photo it looks a bit different and the numerals seem to be fillled not hollow. Nevertheless it's one my fav panthers too :)

Dragons 62005 Panther fought near Falaise in August 1944, so nominally its Normandy veh too.

Cheers

Luke

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi StormyThoughts,

Now that Ii think about it, the panther was mostly a mix of t-34 and german tank designs.

By the way, that picture seems to be exactly the same as dragon's normandy panther. I am guessing that those are British or canadian troops inspecting the vehicle. Here's a link that might interest you and it has more info on 12ss panthers:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +of12th+SS