Your choice for a new model Century Wings 1/72 aircraft...??

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.

Choose a new model Century Wings 1/72 aircraft

S-3 "Viking"
21%
F/A-18 "Hornet"
No votes
EA-6B "Prowler"
7%
E-2 "Hawkeye"
50%
T-45 "Goshawk"
No votes
T-2 "Buckeye"
No votes
Other
21%

Total votes: 14

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Your choice for a new model Century Wings 1/72 aircraft...??

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:26 am

Interest in collecting 1/72 scale diecast airplanes seems pretty strong among our members here, and growing all the time. The offerings from Hobbymaster and Century Wings seem to be among the nicest and most popular. I think most would agree the models from Century Wings are top notch in most every respect, but IMO the problem with CW is not the quality of their products but the limited number of aircraft types. Outside of the newly released SR-71 "Blackbird" CW offers just 4 types, all of them US Navy carrier based jets including the A-7, F-14, A-6, and F-8. These are all really nice models, however CW has kind of beaten this horse to death, and there are only so many repaints of the same bird many of us can afford (or want) to collect at $60-$80 a pop on average. If you could choose a new model for Century Wings to produce, what would it be, and why....?? I've compiled a short list of possible candidates, all of which are carrier based jets in keeping with what sems to be the CW product focus. I realize the E-2 "Hawkeye" is not a jet per se, but it is a turbine powered carrier plane, and I think it would make an awesome model, although probably expensive, so I decided to include it with the rest. It will be interesting to hear what you guys have to say.... 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

ostketten

Re: Your choice for a new model Century Wings 1/72 aircraft.

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:26 am

drat...double post :lol:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:34 am

SU-25!!! SU-25!!! SU-25!!!

Pretty please with cherry on top!:) That would definitely drag me on the dark side! :mrgreen:

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 am

StormyThoughts wrote:SU-25!!! SU-25!!! SU-25!!!

Pretty please with cherry on top!:) That would definitely drag me on the dark side! :mrgreen:
While it's an interesting choice, and I did include an "Other" option, I do have a couple of slight issues with the "Frogfoot' as a choice..... First, it's not a US aircraft, and second, it's an entirely ground based plane to the best of my knowledge. Much more likely we'd see the SU-25 from Hobbymaster than we ever would from CW me thinks.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:12 pm

OSTKETTEN:

I voted for an EA-6B Prowler which would be a great follow-on to CW's A-6 Intruder. If I voted "Other", it would be an RA-5C Vigilante.

Strictly speculation on my part, but I hope/think HM will eventually release a Vigilante. Other collectors, including me, have been requesting an HM Vigilante on the diecast message board for a long time.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:01 pm

dragon53 wrote:OSTKETTEN:

I voted for an EA-6B Prowler which would be a great follow-on to CW's A-6 Intruder. If I voted "Other", it would be an RA-5C Vigilante.

Strictly speculation on my part, but I hope/think HM will eventually release a Vigilante. Other collectors, including me, have been requesting an HM Vigilante on the diecast message board for a long time.
Great post on both counts. The "Prowler" is an obvious logical progression of the CW A-6 Intruder, and the only reason I personally chose the S-3 "Viking" is that it would be an entirely new CW model, and it's always been a favorite of mine. You are absolutely right about the "Vigilante" though, it would be a fine choice for a "new" CW aircraft, and I don't know why I didn't include it in the poll.... doh!!

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 pm

ostketten
nice pick i like that EA-6B DIDNT THINK OF THAT ONE
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

snake

Post by snake » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Good thread ostketten.

Have to go with the R/A 5C Vigilante. It would fit perfectly with CW other releases. :wink:

And it is just a great looking aircraft. Would prefer CW to do this, rather than HM.

Another great choice, in my opinion, would be the U2. CW has already done the SR-71, and this would be a great companion to it. 8)