FOV 1:72 figure review

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

FOV 1:72 figure review

Post by Tshintl » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:02 am

A quick review on the newly released FOV 1:72 figure sets. Each set is pictured below so I won't get into the specifics included with each set.

The figures are all made from a soft plastic. The disadvantage to this is that several of their bases were warped and some of the weapons were bent out of shape (some weapons were hard to identify as well). The facial details on all the figures are good. With the exception of a few, the vast majorty had nice poses. The modern American carrying a wounded soldier is very nice.

Some of the figures seemed to be cast in one piece, where others had very visable seams between the arm and body. One figure even had a mold line running down the side that must have been missed when the figures were being prepped. This could be easily fixed if one wanted to spend the time on it.

All figures are painted to a very average level. Some had more attention paid to them than others. One German had the detail but lacked any paint picking it out (i.e. The German shown in the comparison picture having detail on his shirt above his weapon but not being painted on).

Each figure set includes various accessories which are quite nice. Jerry cans, sandbags, and barrels are easily available from over a dozen other companies in 1:72 scale. However the walls, light posts, cart, sign posts, beach obstacles, and rubble are all very unique. FOV would be very wise to produce accessory only sets in the future.

It's hard to compare these figures to others since there are not many prepainted 1:72 figures available on the market. There are dozens of companies that also make 1:72 figures in plastic, metal, and resin, but only Dragon Models has been playing around with prepainted 1:72 figures like FOV. Dragon Armor figures are thinner than the FOV figures and would be about the same height if the FOV figures weren't mounted to bases. The weapons are slightly nicer on the Dragon figures, but detail is about the same on both.

Overall, the figures are nice for what you get. The paint level leaves a little to be desired, but most of the poses are very realistic. The accessories are all top notch and come in very handy for setting up a display or wargaming. The soft plastic is ok for the figures (except for the weapons), but FOV would be better to at least make the base a hard plastic so they don't warp making the figure hard to stand up.

Best pack: Modern Americans (based on the realistic poses)

bboc
Corporal
Corporal

Where can we get the prepainted Dragon 172 figures?

Post by bboc » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:26 am

I didn't know that Dragon made any pre-painted 1/72 figures. Which dealers carry them? Are they still available?

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Where can we get the prepainted Dragon 172 figures?

Post by Tshintl » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:40 am

bboc wrote:I didn't know that Dragon made any pre-painted 1/72 figures. Which dealers carry them? Are they still available?
They're not available by themselves, but come with some of the vehicles. The Dragon Armor figure shown above came with 7 others as "tank riders" and was offered through Cyber Hobby as a limited edition piece. I think it's just a sign of what's to come and suspect next year Dragon will release regular figure sets.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:48 am

One thing I forgot, some of the Germans had the wrong helmet (visible in the comparison picture). The helmets should go down a little on the back half like the modern US helmets, but clearly don't. You can't say they are German Fallschirmjager helmets either as they don't look at all like those (like the Dragon Armor figure pictured above).

Either they were designed wrong which would really surprise me or they were all cast wrong which again would surprise me that there wouldn't be a "quality control" in place to catch something so noticeable. It's one of the most recognized characteristics of the German helmet.

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:56 am

Thanks for the review Tshintl...I just got my figs yesterday (all except the modern US troops). I have to say I do like them, yes the paint is a little on the "rough" side, but all and all for $5.95 a pack, they are nice. I do like the extras they include, like the cart, ruined wall, etc. I might order a couple more to beef up my squads. :)

easy8
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

--General George Patton Jr.