This is an expensive hobby

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
zzzippper
Sergeant
Sergeant

This is an expensive hobby

Post by zzzippper » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:57 am

I'm considering moving into 1:72 bombers, mostly because they aren't offered in the larger scales and display space. I did a quick seach on Flying Mule and just the "must haves" added up quickly. That didn't even include a B-29 or any of the single engine bombers like the Avenger and Helldiver:

CG-US33315 B-17F Flying Fortress Diecast Model, USAAF 91st BG, 324th BS, "Memphis Belle" - AUG PRE-ORDER $124.99 $124.99
CG-AA34002 B-24D Liberator Diecast Model, USAAF 93rd BG, 328th BS, "Ball of Fire The III" $149.99 $149.99
CG-AA38804 Do 215B-5 Diecast Model, Luftwaffe, Battle of Britain, 1940 $79.99 $79.99
CG-AA33706 He 111H-4 Diecast Model, Luftwaffe III./KG 26, Eastern Front, 1942 $99.99 $99.99
CG-AA36707 Ju 88C-6 Diecast Model, Luftwaffe 4./KG 76, Taganrog, Ukraine - AUG PRE-ORDER $79.99 $79.99
CG-AA32609 Lancaster B.Mk I Diecast Model, RAF No.617 (Dambusters) Sqn $149.99 $149.99
Total: $684.94

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 am

Diecast can get expensive in a hurry, no doubt about that, and Corgi is considered to be one of the top quality lines. I believe that one or two of the models you listed may be available in plastic from one of the usual suspects, barring that you might consider one of the other diecast manufacturers that have the same models, and that would perhaps save you some. The other thing to consider is you are looking at full retail prices, don't get me wrong the Mule is a good outfit that I've bought from before, but you could probably fnd most if not all of the listed items thru ebay sellers for considerably less, but it will require some time and patience. As an aside, if you don't mind paying retail you'd be hard pressed to find a better selection and prices than Aikens Airplanes. They are great people to deal with and often have free shipping, check them out if you haven't. http://www.aikensairplanes.com/
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:21 am

ZZZIPPPER:

I buy most of my diecast from Diecastairplane.com. They offer 10% off if you use the promotion code (August code is "HOT") and free shipping over $100.

Link: http://www.diecastairplane.com/

snake

Post by snake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:07 pm

ostketten wrote:Diecast can get expensive in a hurry, no doubt about that, and Corgi is considered to be one of the top quality lines. I believe that one or two of the models you listed may be available in plastic from one of the usual suspects, barring that you might consider one of the other diecast manufacturers that have the same models, and that would perhaps save you some. The other thing to consider is you are looking at full retail prices, don't get me wrong the Mule is a good outfit that I've bought from before, but you could probably fnd most if not all of the listed items thru ebay sellers for considerably less, but it will require some time and patience. As an aside, if you don't mind paying retail you'd be hard pressed to find a better selection and prices than Aikens Airplanes. They are great people to deal with and often have free shipping, check them out if you haven't. http://www.aikensairplanes.com/
Ostketten is exactly right.

I love the Mule.A great outfit, that is very professionally run.And their pre-order prices are hard to beat.

But their prices of older releases, are pretty high.You can almost always get these for quite a bit cheaper on Ebay.But patience is a virtue.

Sometimes the Mule offers sales as well.I bought a HM 1/32 Dauntless "Lexington" for $50. :shock:

There are other great dealers out there, and sometimes they have fantastic deals as well.It does pay to shop around.