Why an FOV Pershing?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
zzzippper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Why an FOV Pershing?

Post by zzzippper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:30 am

It just seems so historically insignificant. I look for the more famous tanks and the Pershing barely made it to the show.

Opinions on why you want it or why FOV made it? There are so many others I'd like to see.

Thanks

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Why an FOV Pershing?

Post by demonclaw » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 am

zzzippper wrote:It just seems so historically insignificant. I look for the more famous tanks and the Pershing barely made it to the show.

Opinions on why you want it or why FOV made it? There are so many others I'd like to see.

Thanks
It did see a lot of combat in Korea so its not just a ww2 tank . A better example would be the Jagdtiger that only served during the last months of ww2 and saw very little combat , but that haven't stopped model makers from creating models of it in every possible scale (with Unimax being the most recent one) .

the bottom line is that when it comes to model collecting any cool looking tank will be appreciated

AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:58 am

there are many tanks that didnt add much to the war effort that have been made. The Pershing is significant that it was the first true heavy U.S. battle tank. I feel its an important model.
how many Sherman's can you have in a collection?
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

Just received my new Pershing & the level of detail is terrific...The mud spalter on the fenders & tracks looks really authentic & it's just an overall cool looking tank.
I wanted it because I needed it to complement my 1/32 FOV armour collection...I didn't think I would ever see a Pershing as they had been OOP for a while!
Couldn't be happier :D

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:50 am

I'm pleased with this one as well. For whatever reason, I did not get the initial release back in 2004 (though I got most of the other tanks from that year) and later regretted it. It seems that those few years ago, FOV was really going all-out with their tanks in terms of the sculpting, weathering, and all the details. Tanks like the T-34, T-72, Challenger, Jagdpanther, Pershing, etc. really set the bar for FOV vehicles in my opinion.

I do not think that the Pershing is an odd choice in the least. While they did barely see action in WWII, where they were used in that conflict, they proved to be nearly the equal to the German heavy tanks. The M-26 also saw extensive use in Korea which gives the model some versatility in terms of the historical era it represents and what it can be displayed with. Also, it looks pretty cool as well :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 pm

I would like to see a Comet tank or the ww2 centurion tank made by fov in 1/32 scale :lol:

zzzippper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zzzippper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:50 am

456THBG wrote:Just received my new Pershing & the level of detail is terrific...The mud spalter on the fenders & tracks looks really authentic & it's just an overall cool looking tank.
I wanted it because I needed it to complement my 1/32 FOV armour collection...I didn't think I would ever see a Pershing as they had been OOP for a while!
Couldn't be happier :D
I agree with the "how many Shermans" comment! I will probably get the Pershing just because I missed out on so many others that are now OOP. I too wish they'd come out with more Brit tanks, especially the Matilda, though Brit armor in general didn't look like much until the Centurion IMHO.

I've had to go to 21st Century for pieces like the Hetzer and 38(t).\

It just seems to me that there are others (even Shermans) they could have come out with: Sherman 76mm, Firefly, etc. Even an M3 Stuart.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:29 am

I CAN AGREE WITH THAT!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 am

I could see doing a M26 rather than the M41 like 21st did early on. The M26 made it to combat in two wars while the M41 was a "Cold War orphan", not seeing service in any major conflict, but being there in the event of a war with the USSR. Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Cold War weaponry. I wish someone would do a Nike Ajax missile in a collectible size. It is an era that is lost to most people with WW2 and VietNam being defining wars

I think the M26 was a great model but the FOV version was never a favorite due to its flimsy suspension. I recently worked on one of my M26s trying to shore up the weak front idler and found the running gear seemed to be a cheap polycarbonite plastic that is brittle and not very flexible. I have relegated both of my M26s to the display shelf due to their fragility. If 21st had done a Pershing it probably would have been more to my liking.

TJ

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 am

krieglok wrote:I could see doing a M26 rather than the M41 like 21st did early on. The M26 made it to combat in two wars while the M41 was a "Cold War orphan", not seeing service in any major conflict, but being there in the event of a war with the USSR. Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Cold War weaponry. I wish someone would do a Nike Ajax missile in a collectible size. It is an era that is lost to most people with WW2 and VietNam being defining wars

I think the M26 was a great model but the FOV version was never a favorite due to its flimsy suspension. I recently worked on one of my M26s trying to shore up the weak front idler and found the running gear seemed to be a cheap polycarbonite plastic that is brittle and not very flexible. I have relegated both of my M26s to the display shelf due to their fragility. If 21st had done a Pershing it probably would have been more to my liking.

TJ
I sold y FOV Perishing after I got the Tamiya already built on as it was miles better

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I have the Tamiya Pershing kit. One of these days I will get around to building it!

TJ