Franklin Mint sale

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
scwarlord
Corporal
Corporal

Franklin Mint sale

Post by scwarlord » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Franklin Mint is offering the M1A1 Abrams and the Humvee for 60% off. Would these be good deals? Or will the excess stock be sold off to Tuesday Morning and be available at a lower price?

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 am

I just ordered the Franklin Mint 1/24 scale Sherman M4, I've wanted one of these for a long time.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Franklin Mint sale

Post by trex0770 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

scwarlord wrote:Franklin Mint is offering the M1A1 Abrams and the Humvee for 60% off. Would these be good deals? Or will the excess stock be sold off to Tuesday Morning and be available at a lower price?
Awesome deal! Here's mine:

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:08 pm

That Abrams seems pretty bland looking, no? Even the rubber part on the road wheels is sand colored. :?
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Rowsdower wrote:That Abrams seems pretty bland looking, no? Even the rubber part on the road wheels is sand colored. :?
That was the main criticism about this piece when it first came out that FM couldn't paint the road wheels.. :roll:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 pm

hworth18 wrote:That was the main criticism about this piece when it first came out that FM couldn't paint the road wheels.. :roll:
Looks like they didn't paint a lot of stuff. Does FM still use waterslide decals on it's aircraft? I had a FM P-38 and the decals were all flaking off. Even 21st used pad printing. Oh and the nose gear collapsed on it's own one night. I've had a few other FM models and considering the prices they ask, IMO the quality just doesn't measure up.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm

scwarlord wrote:Franklin Mint is offering the M1A1 Abrams and the Humvee for 60% off. Would these be good deals? Or will the excess stock be sold off to Tuesday Morning and be available at a lower price?

Well 60% off is quite a bit.I am not an expert on Franklin Mint.
I do have about 10 of them.Mostly bought when I first started collecting.

Not sure if you would be able to get it cheaper than 60% off,even with a large clearout.

I say "Go for it!"

scwarlord
Corporal
Corporal

Franklin Mint sale

Post by scwarlord » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought the vehicles. I also added the USS Missouri model. The 1/24 Sherman was not available for the discount, so I passed on it.

As a kid I recieved the pewter FM Civil War set and the FM pewter US Soldiers set with the display. I cringe to see how much they cost in the early 80s and how little they can recoup in current dollars. So much for "real collectibles" as investments.

I guess if I'm not happy with them I can always send them back.

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 pm

scwarlord wrote:Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought the vehicles. I also added the USS Missouri model. The 1/24 Sherman was not available for the discount, so I passed on it.

As a kid I recieved the pewter FM Civil War set and the FM pewter US Soldiers set with the display. I cringe to see how much they cost in the early 80s and how little they can recoup in current dollars. So much for "real collectibles" as investments.

I guess if I'm not happy with them I can always send them back.
I have the Mighty Mo from Danbury Mint and it's awesome! Post some photos when you FM model arrives please.