Need an honest opinion

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Need an honest opinion

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:17 pm

Ok, so when I went "AWOL" as Teamski put it, I didn't entirely give up on 1/32, I did keep some stuff. I kept those pieces that I'd spent the most tim on, especially the Panther. I also kept Harry's Kingtiger and stug, and a few others. Well, in the spirit of maybe slowly beginning to re-collect what I'd sold, I asked my step-dad to pull my stuff out of the attic. He'd insisted on putting them up there so my room didn't look all cluttered with the boxes sitting in one corner. Well, as soon as I ask him does he tell me that they "melted". I don't know what melted means, as I didn't get to look at them, but apparently it was bad enough to warrant my step-dad throwing them away. I guess he felt guilty as he was the one who insisted on putting them there and offered to reimburse me. Now, I am beyond mad right now, if they were just stock I wouldn't be nearly as mad, just get them replaced, but they weren't and I don't know what to say. I don't even really remember what I kept exactly, besides the big pieces.Any idea as to how I should deal with this?

Kevin

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:38 pm

Well strike that, I guess it's really funny for my step-dad to mess with me on Father's Day, especially after I get him a card and that cool laser leveler. I feel like the biggest dope. He had it all along, sitting in the garage, not melted at all. He did admit to dropping the box though, but that isn't a big deal. And for all you dads out there, don't do something like this to your kids.

Kevin

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:01 pm

Glad to hear your back Kevin.. That's definitely a BAD father's day prank... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:53 pm

Is it common for things to melt in Phoenix area attics?
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:06 am

I really don't know, although when my step-dad said that they did, it didn't seem too unreasonable. I could see that maybe on really hot days, some things might, but generally I think insulation does its job and keeps things from getting to that point.

Kevin

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:05 am

PanzerArm wrote:I really don't know, although when my step-dad said that they did, it didn't seem too unreasonable. I could see that maybe on really hot days, some things might, but generally I think insulation does its job and keeps things from getting to that point.

Kevin
insulation also keeps the heat in, especially where theres no air moving. If it's an older attic, you may only have vents at either end of the roof, newer homes have ventialltion fans that circulate air and vent the hot air. As far as diecast melting, thats a bit unlikely but if you had plastic model kits, it's possible for the material to warp not necessarily melt. So if the pieces had plastic components, it's possible they could have warped, but thats repairable with a little hot water. I did make the mistake years ago by storing my plastic model collection in a rental storage unit that wasn't climate controlled, and did notice some warping on kits that had large pieces (fuselages/wings) off the sprues, but they were easily repaired. Needless to say, all my plastic models as well as my diecast and HUGE 1:18 collection, are now stored in two climate controlled storage units, also makes it more comfortable on those hot summer days when you have to check inventory or just organize a bit. :-)

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:24 am

I have stored plastic models, kits, made models and all sorts of 21C tanks for years, literally, in a storage on a hill in North Carolina with no damage to anything. I don't think anyone really has very much to worry about. Just my 2 cents....
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:12 pm

I can see where it would be possible, that Arizona sun beating down on an unvented attic would create a lot of heat. The diecast metal would just conduct the heat and put added weight on the plastic weight bearing pieces, causing them to sag.

I'm afraid it's a "living at home" tradition. Dads step on things or put them where they'll be ruined, while Moms break them while dusting/cleaning (and then throw them out since they're "ruined").