Quickie FOV 88 review..

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Quickie FOV 88 review..

Post by hworth18 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 pm

I received my Normandy scheme FOV 88mm today from the FlyingMule and I couldn't be happier with it. I own 2 of 21st's versions and they just don't compare when it comes to just about everything. I love all the small details and the fact that the traverse and elevation crank handles actually work! How cool is that? The figures are well done and the small extras that come with the gun are really cool too. My only complaint is that the packaging is probably the toughest I have ever had to deal with when trying to get the gun out. I usually don't have a problem, but this was the exception.
I had been holding out getting one of these, but with the new scheme and the too hard to pass up price on this, I am glad I didn't miss it. :D
Last edited by hworth18 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:59 pm

Pictures please........ :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Here are a few quick pics which really don't do the piece justice.

“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Wow, that is nice. Is that the crew figure that came with it?
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Sabrefan wrote:Wow, that is nice. Is that the crew figure that came with it?
Yes, it comes with four other figures, two loaders, a soldier with a rangefinder and another soldier posing. It also comes with 3 extra shells, a couple of boxes, a piece of fencing, a rubble house corner, street sign and a 55 gal drum. I give it an excellent value for the money.
-Howard Stark

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:46 am

hworth18 wrote:a piece of fencing, a rubble house corner, street sign and a 55 gal drum. I give it an excellent value for the money.

The corner house and barrel comes with most FOV models , I have so many barrels that I could probably fill the 1:32 deuce truck with em

The grey "stalingrad" version of the 88 comes with some sandbags

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:18 am

Love you avatar, hworth!

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:43 am

And its in DAK colors. What more could you ask for. :lol: They did totaly screw up though by not making the crew an Afrika Korp crew.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 am

hotrodrock wrote:And its in DAK colors. What more could you ask for. :lol: They did totaly screw up though by not making the crew an Afrika Korp crew.
Yeah, I noticed the colors were a little "orangy" for Dark Yellow, but mine is going to get a new paint job anyways. I prefer it with a little more color variation to it.
The actual color really is in question, since mine seems to be darker from the wash they use which makes it look more like DAK yellow.
-Howard Stark

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:09 am

Ziegler2112 wrote:Love you avatar, hworth!
Thanks!
I am hoping to get my Yamato in the next month or two.
-Howard Stark

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:09 pm

That is one nice 88. Even though these pictures are urging me to go for the FOV version, I'm still probably going to have to go with the 21st purely because of money, and because I'm not huge into artillery, but I do have an interest in it. It's also an important piece. Since I'm trying to make a set of grey vehicles, I figured I could make a nice diorama with a grey 88 and some supporting vehicles.

I've got the grey Sdkfz. 4, which technically isn't supposed to haul the 88, but we all know sometimes you just have to improvise. I've got a grey 3 ton Opel Blitz on the way, which should make for some good background material. The only other grey vehicle I've got is a Panzer IV at the moment. My 251 is white-washed, so that probably wouldn't work. Speaking of 251s, I need more of those in grey.

Cool pics though, I'd love to get one myself if they'd issue them in action grade. :? By the way, that space battleship kit is impressive. Something definately out there and really nice. When you get it you need to post pics! :D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Are the figures painted in dark blue like the luftwaffe troops that used the flak 88s in Normandy ?

hworth18 wrote: I am hoping to get my Yamato in the next month or two.
What kind of kit are you getting ?

One cool kit that I found on HLJ when I looked at some ordinary yamato models was a 1/350 one with remote controlled turrets and lights (it also includes many smaller ships and figures) . I'm not into scifi stuff but it still looked very impressive and fun to build

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN946749
Last edited by demonclaw on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:28 pm

demonclaw wrote:Is the figures painted in dark blue like the luftwaffe troops that used the flak 88s in Normandy ?
They look to be wearing standard field grey uniforms. But I could be mistaken.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 pm

They are the same figure from the s1 version. They are wearing a green-grey color. I wish they were in the field blue.

Do you think this could pass as an africa 88?

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm

demonclaw wrote:Are the figures painted in dark blue like the luftwaffe troops that used the flak 88s in Normandy ?

What kind of kit are you getting ?

One cool kit that I found on HLJ when I looked at some ordinary yamato models was a 1/350 one with remote controlled turrets and lights (it also includes many smaller ships and figures) . I'm not into scifi stuff but it still looked very impressive and fun to build

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN946749
That would be the one! It's just out of my price range for now, but soon, she will be mine!!! Buuuuuuhhhwwhhhaaaaaa!!!!!

The figures are painted in standard German field Gray. I am also considering painting some of the tunics in the more common camo scheme in that period.
-Howard Stark

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:43 am

hworth18 wrote:
That would be the one! It's just out of my price range for now, but soon, she will be mine!!! Buuuuuuhhhwwhhhaaaaaa!!!!!

The figures are painted in standard German field Gray. I am also considering painting some of the tunics in the more common camo scheme in that period.

You must really love Space Battleship Yamato (or Star Blazers as its known in the west) when you're willing to spend almost 500$ + shipping and import fees :)
NHoggard12 wrote:They are the same figure from the s1 version. They are wearing a green-grey color. I wish they were in the field blue.

Ok , the figure in the picture looked like it had a different paint scheme than the S1 figures so I assumed they tried to make it look like a luftwaffe soldier . Here's a pic of my 88

But even if they painted the figure in dark blue it would still be inaccurate , this is how a Normandy crew should look like

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Glad you like the FOV 88mm gun :D I'm surprised you didn't get the S1 version, as its been out for a while. It is one of my favorite 1/32 scale pieces, and I've had my S1 gun out displayed since I got it a couple years ago. For as tiny as the gun is, it is supurbly detailed - much better than the 21c 32x guns and in some respects, even better than the 21c 1/18 version. Why the 1:18 gun does not have working cranks while a "puny" 1/32 scale model does is beyond me, but that feature just adds to my praise for the FOV 88 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:35 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Glad you like the FOV 88mm gun :D I'm surprised you didn't get the S1 version, as its been out for a while. It is one of my favorite 1/32 scale pieces, and I've had my S1 gun out displayed since I got it a couple years ago. For as tiny as the gun is, it is supurbly detailed - much better than the 21c 32x guns and in some respects, even better than the 21c 1/18 version. Why the 1:18 gun does not have working cranks while a "puny" 1/32 scale model does is beyond me, but that feature just adds to my praise for the FOV 88 8)
I liked the S1 version, but I just couldn't push myself the extra to pick it up. When I saw the deal on the brand new scheme from the flyingmule, I got it dirt cheap ($40) and shipped free, I just couldn't pass that up. :wink:
-Howard Stark

Ziegler2112
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ziegler2112 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 am

What scale and material? I've wanted a Yamato since high school. Not sure if I want to get the large scale model or the diecast version I've seen on Ebay a few times.

Sorry for interrupting the thread. :oops:

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:44 pm

Ziegler2112 wrote:
What scale and material? I've wanted a Yamato since high school. Not sure if I want to get the large scale model or the diecast version I've seen on Ebay a few times.

Sorry for interrupting the thread. :oops:
The model I want is 1/350 scale, but I just bought the 1/665 scale version made by Taito off Ebay and it is an acceptable piece, not as detailed of course, but the look is correct and it will keep me happy till I can get the bigger one.
-Howard Stark