CORGI's new ownership doesn't stand behind

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

CORGI's new ownership doesn't stand behind

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:48 am

I have recently had a very poor interaction with CORGI's new owners, Hornby.

I purchased, on eBay, a Corgi Sopwith Camel several months ago. I did not open the package until a few weeks ago and discovered a manufacturing defect- the outer wing struts were never installed. This was not something a seller would have noticed and no one would expect. So I emailed the USA distributor on the West Coast. No answer.... Then I emailed CORGI, direct. Corgi Direct will only stand behind product they themselves sold. So far not doing too well.

Finally I contacted CORGI itself. I was informed by their new owner, HORNBY, that they do not have any "spares" - meaning "parts for this" lying about, they did not and therefore, will not make it right.

Personally I am appalled at their failure to stand behind their product and am disappointed that this old and venerated company has been taken over by a business who will not do so if it is not convenient. I suppose if the parts had miraculously been laying around the office I'd be asked to pay for shipping to the US. (sarcasm)

My Sopwith Camel:

Last edited by ltcbj on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

panzertruppen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by panzertruppen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:09 am

This is absolutely stupid from Corgi. How could they even package a model without a key feature. I must say this is shocking. :shock: Also, it looks like a Lewis gun is meant to be mounted on top of the wings (there are 2 slots that looks like they serve some purpose).
"The engine of the Panzer is a weapon just as the main gun."

Major-General Heinz Guderian

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: CORGI's new ownership doesn't stand behind

Post by uksubs » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:29 am

ltcbj wrote:I have recently had a very poor interaction with CORGI's new owners, Hornsby.

I purchased, on eBay, a Corgi Sopwith Camel several months ago. I did not open the package until a few weeks ago and discovered a manufacturing defect- the outer wing struts were never installed. This was not something a seller would have noticed and no one would expect. So I emailed the USA distributor on the West Coast. No answer.... Then I emailed CORGI, direct. Corgi Direct will only stand behind product they themselves sold. So far not doing too well.

Finally I contacted CORGI itself. I was informed by their new owner, HORNSBY, that they do not have any "spares" - meaning "parts for this" lying about, they did not and therefore, will not make it right.

Personally I am appalled at their failure to stand behind their product and am disappointed that this old and venerated company has been taken over by a business who will not do so if it is not convenient. I suppose if the parts had miraculously been laying around the office I'd be asked to pay for shipping to the US. (sarcasm)

My Sopwith Camel:

Well I had a problem with my 1/32 Mosquito & I have get service from corgi spares
If you go on Die-cast forum you can find there contact number

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:03 am

It looks like Corgi-Spares has been taken over by Hornby-We-Don't-Have-Any.

I did check out DieCast Forums and emailed them.
Last edited by ltcbj on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:41 am

ltcbj wrote:It looks like Corgi-Spares has been taken over by Hornsby-We-Don't-Have-Any.

I did check out DieCast Forums and emailed them.
My parts came from Hornby :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:47 am

Not cool on Corgi's part, but I can see where they are coming from. That plane is small and cheap - not like the larger planes - and the company reps may not want to go through the trouble to replace it. It has also been out for a while. I got that same plane in the UK in early 2003, so the aircraft is at least five years old.

Now, when I got it in 2003, the plane had a missing wing strut as well... but I was able to exchange it for another at the Modelzone store where I purchased the first :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:58 am

Unfortunately I purchased it on eBay months ago. Don't even remember who I got it from.

You casually look into the box and don't notice that the struts aren't there. I looked and it looked okay. When I took it out it took me a moment or two to realize they were missing.

I can't really imagine that Hornby would necessarily have the parts laying around, or even available. But to just brush me off really sucks. I consider that poor customer service. I know I'd offer something of equal (low) value if I were running the company. Just for good public relations. I sent them the pictures too, they know it is their responsibility. They just refuse to live up to it.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:02 am

I got my email to diecast-forum(s) back as undeliverable as well.

This isn't going well at all.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:06 am

Hello, you should try with your seller usually they can get something done.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 am

Wonderful. Another company "cutting corners." :roll: :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: CORGI's new ownership doesn't stand behind

Post by skypirate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:31 am

ltcbj wrote:So I emailed the USA distributor on the West Coast. No answer.... Then I emailed CORGI, direct. Corgi Direct will only stand behind product they themselves sold. So far not doing too well.

Finally I contacted CORGI itself. I was informed by their new owner, HORNBY, that they do not have any "spares" - meaning "parts for this" lying about, they did not and therefore, will not make it right.

Sorry to hear about that. I would say a fair solution would be for them to send you a complete replacement, split the shipping cost and they sell the defective unit at a loss.

At least there was some communication. Forces of Valor never responded regarding the broken stand on my ME-262.

I guess if there's a lesson to be learned, we need to remember that much of what we buy are limited run collectibles. Examine the product immediately, thoroughly, as stock and replacement parts disappear quickly.

So, right now. their excuse is they can't help you because they don't have the parts.

I would keep those emails from Corgi, watch them carefully for any future releases of Sopwith Camels and should there be an upcoming release, remind them that they will have the parts and firmly request they provide you the missing parts or trade you the new release for the one you received.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am

Good suggestion there skypirate. I am saving the emails in case I ever write a book.

You should see what I have from eBay!

Unfortunately, as noted, I bought this months ago, it passed a cursory inspection and I do not remember who I bought it from.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 pm

I have to agree with Corgi on this one. You bought it on Ebay, why would they warranty something sold "as is" and was released at least 5 years ago according to another poster above. In my opinion this is something that would have to be taken up with the seller, not the manufacturer (as with anything else sold on Ebay). Unfortunately the seller probably won't want to do anything since it's been over a month since you got it. It's the buyers responsibility to check things immediately after getting anything off Ebay.

If you were to have purchased it from an authorized dealer and brand new, then sure Corgi should stand behind it. As it stands, for all everyone knows the Ebay seller broke it by accident, lost it, etc., before selling it to you. You take a chance buying off Ebay for this exact reason.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:24 pm

A few months ago, I bought a discontinued, hard-to-find Dragon Wings F-16 Fighting Falcon "Wolfpack" on ebay (not an authorized dealer) that was listed as factory sealed. But when I got it, the pilot was missing from the accessory tray and the tape enclosing the pilot was clearly twisted off to allow it to be removed. The seller said he couldn't find a replacement pilot and only offered a refund if I shipped it back to him. I emailed Dragon Wings and they replied that they would send me a replacement pilot if I sent them proof-of-purchase. I emailed them my ebay purchase confirmation and I got my pilot a week later.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 pm

panzertruppen wrote:This is absolutely stupid from Corgi. How could they even package a model without a key feature. I must say this is shocking. :shock: Also, it looks like a Lewis gun is meant to be mounted on top of the wings (there are 2 slots that looks like they serve some purpose).
The 2 slots on top of the wing are actually "windows" and are for pilot's view.

I disagree in that Corgi has no responsibility here. It's quite clear from the pics the struts were never installed. The ebay seller didn't manufacture, package, and disperse this item...Corgi did. :wink: The age of the item though I think is what kills it. This is a Showcase plane correct? These are planes Corgi started making from Lledo's Bygone Days of Aviation series released several years ago.

Corgi has a long loyal fan base. If this is a sign of things to come with customer service they'll be a hurtin' unit as a company in no time...

panzertruppen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by panzertruppen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 pm

vmf214 wrote:
panzertruppen wrote:This is absolutely stupid from Corgi. How could they even package a model without a key feature. I must say this is shocking. :shock: Also, it looks like a Lewis gun is meant to be mounted on top of the wings (there are 2 slots that looks like they serve some purpose).
The 2 slots on top of the wing are actually "windows" and are for pilot's view.
My mistake.
"The engine of the Panzer is a weapon just as the main gun."

Major-General Heinz Guderian

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:41 pm

I was very disappointed at Hornby's response. Obviously.

I really expected that I would get better than "too bad."

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Ive never had a problem with Corgi,but i do buy from a good dealer
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:10 pm

I guess the product loses its warranty when sold by a out of channel retailer.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you can fabricate and paint those struts out of Evergreen styrene?

Those missing parts are clearly manufacturer's defect. You probably would have gotten a replacement part if this is a newer-released item.

Look at the bright side. At least they didn't lie to you and tell you that they'll mail you those missing parts asap, then you wait weeks for those parts to arrive, then when the parts never materialized, subsequent emails to them, are ignored completely.

*cough*stupid21stcustomerservice!*cough*

:lol:

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:10 pm

I see that you have been hurt before....

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 am

ltcbj wrote:I see that you have been hurt before....
Not quite, but after being in the pre-built model hobby for a while now, I learned to rely on myself to correct any factory defect that I *could* fix, and not rely on companies to do the right thing and fix their booboo.

It's less stressful that way. :)

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:20 am

I am simply annoyed that a supposedly respectful company, especially one with as long a history as CORGI, has been taken over by some uncaring petty bean-counter types whose basic response to a problem of their own making is "bloody tough luck there- fix it yourself. We're too busy working on profits...."

I remember when companies would respond, if they couldn't fix the problem, with some offer of something. Not this "don't let the door hit you on your way out" answer.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:36 am

And this is new in packaging. It is not like it has been played with for five years.

It is ultimately the manufacturers responsibility and they are denying it.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:32 am

I reported a defect form FOV and all I got was a lousy catalog...they said they don't send replacements or will not compensate ...worse this was a discontinued item..... :cry:
sorry don't let the door hit you on the way out............I got the feeling from them.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!