Saw K&C for the first time in person

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Saw K&C for the first time in person

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:35 am

I visited Sierra Toy Soldier in Los Gatos, CA, and this store is a treasure trove of all cool minatures military.
I specifically went to see first hand the K&C WWII figures and vehicles. All available non-retired sets were on display within glass cabinets. I was allowed to view the figures out-of-case with the assistance of the store owner. To truly appreciate the detail of the figures, I believe that one must ultimately hold the paint-over-pewter piece close to see everything since 60mm is a small height.
I must say that K&C figures are excellent quality, and put Britians to shame. However, I was not impressed with the K&C vehicles, and many of the FOV pieces at the other end of the store seemed more realistic.
Therefore, if I was a K&C collector, I would concentrate on the figures, with K&C buildings as the setting for them.
I was surprised how cool the Egyptian line looked with the temple and statues.
I was also awed by the colors, features, and cavalry of the Napoleonic series.
The one thing that I found disconcerting from a collectors perspective is the fact that Andy doesn't reveal the quantity of a series produced before retirement. The store owners thought the typical number might be 500. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are over #2000 K&C "007" Tigers for the taking. (BTW, I was informed that the K&C vehicles are polyresin with embedded polystone for added weight. I much prefer the diecast metal and plastic of Minichamps).
STRYKER

gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

re: K&C

Post by gk5717 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Stryker, did you see the current U.S. Battle of the Bulge figures? I think those are the very best Andy has produced.
As I,ve stated before, figures are K&C,s specialty. As big a fan as I am I too would prefer 21st or FOV vehicles if that was my main collecting theme.
But as Flammenpanzer stated K&C vehicles just seem to go perfect with their figures.
As for the amount of sets Andy makes I,ve never had a problem getting them as long as you don,t wait until 8 months to a year after it has been retired.

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:53 am

gk5717, I did see the new K&C BOB figures. Amazing product! The jeep looks better than any FOV piece too.
I probally never will take the King and Country plunge, because of the expense and handling "risks" associated with $20 - $50 metal figures.
To properly display these guys, you need to buy or build a special cabinet with lots of room for any future additions.
For now, I just like to view the product, and keep informed of the latest improvements.
BTW, shouldn't the upcoming King Tiger with Porsche turret be included in the Waffen SS series instead of the new Battle of Berlin series? The paint scheme seems nearly identical to that of the Jagdpanther, and I don't know if I like the light shade of (mint) green that Andy has selected.

Eazy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Eazy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:00 am

German camo seems to be a very subjective thing. I agree mint green probably wasn't included amongst German camoflage paint tins but then neither was the slate blue that appeared on the FOV 1/16th King Tiger.

Regardless of accurate colours or not i'm definately going to get the K&C King tiger. I think in a couple of years when it's disappeared from the shops everyone is going to want one!

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:04 am

Hey, check out the excellent photos of the Waffen SS series at this store:

http://www.marchthroughtimes.com/king-c ... SS1944.htm

The K&C figures/guns/vehicles are definitely impressive, and cool looking.
However, the camoflauge schemes on the 1944-45 uniforms seem to be over-the-top. I know the Germans were into camo more than any other WWII military force, but its hard to believe that a squad of Waffen SS would be dressed in mixed fatigues of every camo pattern that the krauts ever devised. I guess Andy is trying to include as much color as possible into the product.

fullyautomatic
Corporal
Corporal

Yikes!!

Post by fullyautomatic » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:08 am

:shock: Did you happen to notice the price on the 88??Holy crap!!The price has doubled and then some in less than a year.I guess get them while you can.I know alot of dealers are out of them.I still think if you do some leg work you will still find one at around a hundred bucks.

Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

yeah ditto

Post by Sniper73 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:35 am

That was my reaction when I was looking around for them. It seems that most places arent selling them for much less than that, but yes, if you look around you will find a couple. I'm holding off on that though. They will make more 88's, I mean Andy's made how many now, 5 or 6 different variants? Im not worried, besides, Berlin is coming out!

PS. I may be seeing them in person today (if not then monday definetely) so I will post about them tonight if I do.

fullyautomatic
Corporal
Corporal

Post by fullyautomatic » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:54 am

They will make more 88's, I mean Andy's made how many now, 5 or 6 different variants? Im not worried, besides, Berlin is coming out!
So far, at least according to my records there has only been three varients of the 88 released to date.A Summer version with an add on set(WS20 & WS21 or WS24 with the two sets combined),Stalingrad the winter set(WS24W) and the latest Tank Killer 88 on wheels (WS57).Rumour of only 1000 of the WS57 sets were made and that is why it is retired already.

gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

German 88

Post by gk5717 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:31 am

Even tho Andy may make another 88, he has a knack of doing the same thing in a complete different way. If you are real familier with his figures many are basicly the same pose but you really don,t notice it.
I too read where there were only 1000 made, not a lot. I wouldn,t pass on this. It is an excellent piece.
For any of you paying attention, my method of contacting all K&C dealers relative to retired items worked. I found all 6 Rev War figures I was looking for.

Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

variants

Post by Sniper73 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:12 am

Fully,

I'm confused, let me run this by you to make sure I don't have my facts mixed up, or maybe I worded it incorrectly.

There are 3 different variants, the newest on wheels, the static version, and then the stalingrad version.

But havent the two prior variants been released a couple times with different paint schemes, I seem to remember from looking at the Sagers Soldiers site, that each was released in a couple paint schemes.

Adding on that, were each of those paint schemes separate releases, or did Andy just split the 1000 or so created between the paint versions?

-Bill

gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

88,s

Post by gk5717 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:02 pm

Don,t know how many 88,s were released by the numbers, but there were only 2 paint schemes, the summer and then the winter. And I,m sure the winter one was less in numbers released.
Some of the early vehicles were done in wood and only about 50 of each were done. Then he reissued some of them in polystone in larger numbers.

fullyautomatic
Corporal
Corporal

Post by fullyautomatic » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:15 pm

Sniper, the two static versions of the Summer and Winter paint schemes are the only ones I know of.I have two complete Summer sets and both are the same paint scheme plus an extra 88 gun barrel.I got this because one set I bought came with a damaged barrel.I contacted K&C and Pearl stated that I was one lucky person because they had one replacement barrel left.The dealer I bought this from paid for it and told me to keep the other barrel for my trouble.A little glue and placing it in an enclosed bunker and I have a coastal 88.Oh and it to was the same paint scheme as the others.
Anyways maybe someone else can add some light on this.I'm not sure if B Sager monitor's this board and Double G visits once and awhile.They should be able to provide the final intel on this matter.....

Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

88mm's

Post by Sniper73 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:38 pm

Here are the 88 variants I was talking about. Maybe paint scheme and variant are the mixup words.

http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-local ... &offset=20
-see ws18 and ws24

http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-local ... &offset=50
-see ws57

http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-local ... &offset=10
-see ws18w and ws24w

I think this is what we both mean, but confusion due to my lack of clarity when describing the 5 88s, becausee ws18 and ws24 were released in two schemes.

-Bill

fullyautomatic
Corporal
Corporal

PAK 40 VS 88

Post by fullyautomatic » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:07 pm

Now you got me confused because it looks like your comparing a PAK40 with the 88.So if thats the case then yes there is Summer and Winter varients of both as the pictures show.I don't think they can be compared as the same artillary piece.I wish the next K&C artillary piece is a Granatwerfer or a 105.Thats my wish list...

Sniper73
Corporal
Corporal

hmm

Post by Sniper73 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:11 pm

Well, that at least explains the confusion.

Isn't a pak40 using the 88mm gun just mounted differently? Or is it a 50mm or 75mm? My mistake either way.

-Bill

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:07 am

Hello again.
Does the K&C WS57 Flak 88 come off the wheels?
Also, I was looking at the photos of the Waffen SS figures at Sager's site, and I noticed that WS49 and WS36 have two pairs of identical sculpts, with different paint schemes (Germans with Panzerfausts).
I thought that once K&C figures were retired, the molds were destroyed.

gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gk5717 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:28 am

The new 88 comes off the wheels.
Andy, and just a few times has repainted the same figure. The 2 you pointed out, also off the top of my head there was a U.S. figure , a sgt. that he repainted a MP.