New FOV- Too Expensive???

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

New FOV- Too Expensive???

Post by Teamski » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:08 am

I'd like to get some of the new FOV stuff, but I think they are way too over-priced. You figure that the 1st series collector's grade tanks maxed out at $25 and now you have to fork out $35 in the face of $40 WM XD tanks. I really want that T-34, but with the price so damn high, I'll definately pass on it and stick with my main baby, XD............

What do you think?

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:55 am

Ski,
I agree, they are pretty pricey, but if you really want one, I'd be patient and maybe catch one discounted on EBAY sometime down the road.. :)

In all honesty, the new pricing was the main deciding factor in getting out of the 1/32 scale stuff.. That and the fact that Unimax never fixed the Tiger I's problem.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:34 am

Considering that a $32 Jagdpanther costs the dealer roughly $22, it doesn't leave much room for the dealer to discount does it? Blame Unimax.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:46 pm

I felt rather guilty given that the price for the FOV T-34 (with shipping) was around $45.00!!

To justify the expense, however, there were several factors I took into consideration. The tank is in many ways superior to any 21st 32x vehicle - it has awesome weathering, more metal in the construction, and a plethora of accessories. Also, all the hatches open, including the engine hatch, which exposes an engine!! A seat was included in the driver's hatch as well. There are all sorts of grab-irons and fuel drums fixed to the tank's exterior.

To give potential buyers a clearer description of what all this package entails (and why it may be worth the price), here's a list of the features:

Vehicle:
Roling treads, turret, main gun elevation, swiveling machine gun, fixed accessories

Opeining hatches:
Commander, Loader, Driver, Engine, gas tank

Accessories:
Commander figure
ruined building wall
2 oil drums
2 small crates
1 large crate
4 jerry cans
2 tow cables
2 small canvass rolls
1 medium canvass roll
1 large canvas roll
1 canvas sack
1 spare track
2 radio antennas

The fact that the tank was so well detailed is probably the reason for the price increase. My only complaints (and very minor at that) are that the tank needs another crewmember and it would be cool of a figure could have been placed sitting in the driver's hatch. All in all, it is worth the price, especially because its the only T-34 out there thats not in kit-form!

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

New FOV-Too Expensive???

Post by donnieboy » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:11 pm

Teamski:
I know you're not a millionaire but I think the prices for the new FOV tanks are reasonable, given the level of detail and number of moving parts and accessories. Before FOV came on the scene I bought several 1:35 Panther tanks and JagPanthers from Minichamps (a European company) and they cost a cool $125.00 or so each! Now I feel like a minichump! :(
Go Starbuck!

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:47 pm

Donnie, if you want to unload some of those Minichamps pieces, let me know.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:01 pm

I just associate size with $$$ value. $35 is just too much for me to get an FOV vehicle. I picked up the Tiger diorama for $40 a while back and that IS a value. I'll just have to wait for WM to carry them or SBP to put them on sale. And YES, I know, they will be gone before that happens, hehehe...........

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

more money yes, but more model!

Post by binder001 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:52 pm

I finally picked up my new FoV Pershing. Yes it costs more than the Sherman, but I got much more model, and I'm not just referring to the size of the beast.

This model is clearly taken from the 1/35th model by Tamiya. I has stuff like the "kick guards" over the periscopes and some other little details that just weren't there on the first run stuff (at least the Allied stuff).

I'm very very glad that I got this one. One thing about buying almost entirely US stuff - there's not a whole lot to get every year.

Looking forward to seeing their M3A1 halftrack APC, and hoping for some WW2 trucks.

Ultimate1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ultimate1 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:30 am

I see where your coming from Ski. I happen to think the Hobby shop versions are well worth the money when you consider the weathering and detail thats put in them. I build 1/35 kits, and the kits alone are 35-40 bucks a pop. Then factor in your time in building, weathering and all. I think the price is reasonable, although I haven't bought any yet.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:45 pm

I purchased the Panzer IV and the T-34 at full price(unfortunately) :( .
I'd like to see some action grade versions of these tanks.The T-34 was
perfect.The Panzer IV had way too dark a paint sceme for my taste and the mounting of the side skirts was a pain in the ass!

Mark
Last edited by KAMIKAZE on Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a legend in my own mind.

hawkonevoodoo
Sergeant
Sergeant

FOV too expensive

Post by hawkonevoodoo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:54 am

I'm just new on this board so I don't want to make any mistakes and post something that I shouldn't. If anyone is interested they can email me ( [email protected] ) and I will give them a link to a site that I deal with for FOV. It has the best prices I have found and no, I don't own or have any thing to do with the business other than buying from them as a collector. I just thought this is what these boards are about, passing on information to members. If there is an appropriate spot here please let me know and I will post the link there.
Happy collecting!!!
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill