FOV 1/72 Armour

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Philip
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

FOV 1/72 Armour

Post by Philip » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Does anyone know if the FOV 1/72 armour can be purchased separately? Onsite Diecast is requiring them to be purchased in lots of 12! Other websites are saying they will be "grouped" in pre-determined numbers. Diecast Direct is the only place that I have found that you can pre-order them individually. What have you guys heard?

Thanks,

Philip

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:57 pm

That sounds somewhat bizarre.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:28 pm

Probably a guarantee to the retailer that they will move them.. What better way to sell them than by the case..
I am sure you will be able to buy them even preorder them closer to the release date.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

FOV 1:72 Armour

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:36 am

Hi,
We have them available for sale by the individual piece, at least for now. The problem is that Unimax is not making them available as open stock like they do with the 1:32 scale vehicles. Instead, dealers have to purchase them by the case of 12 and we haven't been told what the assortment breakdown will be given the fact that there are 8 vehicles in the assortment.

That means some vehicles will inevitably sell out faster than others and dealers may be stuck with overstock in other less popular items. So, if there's one King Tiger tank in the assortment (popular vehicle) and say two Churchills (less popular), dealers must make a decision to keep bringing in excess merchandise to sell a handful of the more popular vehicles. Pretty bizarre logic on the manufacterers part but they're loathe to offering more and more individual SKUs given the size of the ever-expanding FOV range. I can understand their hesitation to stock more individual items but retailers are going to balk every time they have to consider bringing in more stock.

Cordially,

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Mass Marketers

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:21 pm

My understanding is that Unimax believes that the new 1:72 line will have the bulk of its sales through mass marketers like Walmart or Target. And since unlike FOV 1:32, there will be no seperate enthusiast/action lines, they are doing assortments that meet the big buyers requirements, as the big box stores won't do multiple sku's for multiple $10 vehicles.

I also have a hunch that the traditional big sellers - German Tigers - might not be quite the big seller as they could have been due to Dragon having flooded the market with various Tigers already. Though with a different outlet/audience, and the apparent insatiable demand for these I'm probably wrong.

Bravo_26
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bravo_26 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:32 pm

Does anyone know if the 1/72 FOV line Tanks will have moveable treads or static like Dragon?

Thanks.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

FOV Armor

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:50 pm

Hi Bravo,
No idea as yet since we're only working from illustrations at this point and sketchy information. Just a guess but they'll probably feature vinyl treads and moveable turrets/guns given the inexpensive price points. If they can produce a sharp-looking 1:72 scale vehicle that resembles their 1:32 scale brethren, then this series will do well at retail.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:26 pm

I think the German Tigers may even be bigger sellers than the Dragon line, for the reason being, more people will see them.

Realize that only people who are interested enough in the Hobby, know about Dragon Armor. They're pretty hard to find if you compare it to products distributed via Mass Retailers like Target, Walmart, and Toysrus.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

hawkonevoodoo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Mass Marketers

Post by hawkonevoodoo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:20 am

EnemyAce wrote:My understanding is that Unimax believes that the new 1:72 line will have the bulk of its sales through mass marketers like Walmart or Target. And since unlike FOV 1:32, there will be no seperate enthusiast/action lines, they are doing assortments that meet the big buyers requirements, as the big box stores won't do multiple sku's for multiple $10 vehicles.

I also have a hunch that the traditional big sellers - German Tigers - might not be quite the big seller as they could have been due to Dragon having flooded the market with various Tigers already. Though with a different outlet/audience, and the apparent insatiable demand for these I'm probably wrong.
According to Lisa at Panache Place (the U.S. distributor) there will be two lines for the 1/72, just like the 1/32. I received an email on March 4 with this information. I guess we'll just have to wait and see which is correct. Lisa also said that she will have the FOV website updated with the 2005 1/72 by the weekend of March 12th.
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill

Jorg
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jorg » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:52 am

MichToy is taking preorders on the pieces seperately.

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:10 pm

Aren't the enthusiast editions of FOV simply the stock versions with "mud" splattered over the paint?
BTW, the paint colors and application seem to have improved for the FOV 1:32 vehicles from series I to series II & III. Therefore, I am expecting good quality for the 1:72 product line. We'll have to wait to see about the metal to plastic content. (Too bad FOV isn't offering a "normal" M4 Sherman in addition to the "mine-roller" version)
Stryker