Hobby Master model decision

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
hawkonevoodoo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hobby Master model decision

Post by hawkonevoodoo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 pm

I was just informed by Hobby Master that they have resisted any changes to their 1/72 tanks as long as possible but it just became a matter of economics. Due to a labor cost increase of 25% and a material increase that happened months ago they were unable to sustain the extra expense any longer and were faced with two options, increase the cost of the tanks so they would retail for $25 US instead of $19 - $20 US or reduce the metal content. Since other companies have been using more plastic and some using nothing but plastic Hobby Master came to the conclusion that the reduction in metal was the lesser of two evils. Hobby Master will still provide us with excellent looking models with great detail and value. Also if there are models that absolutely require metal chassis’ because of design or for manufacturing purposes than metal will be used. It really will be a tank-by-tank decision. At this time this will not affect their 1/48-scale tanks. They want you to know that they regret this measure and hope that you will understand the reasoning behind it.
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."
- Winston Churchill

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Boo. :(

Still looking forward to that JS-II!

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:48 pm

Personally I don't see this as any big deal so long as the quality and detail stay the same. Plastic fantastic 8) Don't know if HM does this or not, but there is at least one manufacturer that puts weights (presumably steel) inside the body to give the model a hefty feel.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:54 am

As mentioned, if the quality continues to be the same, thats not that big of a deal, especially compared to Dragons pieces which are at that price point or slightly above, and they don't have trouble selling pieces left and right, not to mention HM has a different nitch, and not really doing the "mainstream" pieces helps as well.

ltcbj

Admiral Toys

Post by ltcbj » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 am

Apparently Admiral Toys ahs taken the middle road. They are both raisning their prices (to ~$45) and reducing their metal content. Their line of Pz-IIIs has been largely (90%) metal but will be mostly or all plastic in teh next round. They also claim limited runs of 600 a piece, world wide. Their detail and quality will have to be extraordinary though to create demand at that price point.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:53 am

$45? Really? Sheesh.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

ltcbj

my sources

Post by ltcbj » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:43 am

say- YES
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!