WHAT IS YOUR MAIN AREA OF INTEREST WITHIN THIS HOBBY?

News and Latest Updates on the board!

So, regardless of scale, what is your MAIN area of interest?

Mainly aircraft
36%
Mainly armor
29%
Mainly military figures
7%
Mainly GI Joe and related vehicles and figures
2%
Mainly Star Wars and/or other sci fi
1%
Mainly ships/boats/sea craft
No votes
Don't have a main interest i dabble in more than one area
21%
Other (please post and elaborate)
5%

Total votes: 101

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: WHAT IS YOUR MAIN AREA OF INTEREST WITHIN THIS HOBBY?

Post by granch » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Helicopters. But anything making sense for 1/18 modern days dioramas. What should I vote, if I love my 2 Blackhawks and need 16 soldier figures + 8 crewmen to fill them? Finally, I have a lot of soldiers, it doesn't mean that it's my main area. Sorry not to have the skill for resin cast, so for more background objects, I have to search, trying to work with wood for future buildings and boats and planning to buy bonsaï trees...

rockonmilitary
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rockonmilitary » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 pm

I chose more than one area because i think their is so much stuff in the military that i cannot just choose one but if i had to i would probably choose ships because in along with the army this was one of the many branches in the militaries in the world like aircraft too, but i learned that aircraft were first discovered later after the civil war when the wright brothers took a flight.

WSG1926
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WSG1926 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:00 pm

I collect all kinds of (mostly) plastic figures, accessories, vehicles and terrain with the objective of RECOMBINING them into 'playsets' ... one such homage to the great toymaker, Louis Marx is the ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT set I put together and sold on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466
:P
" ... ye must be born again."

Kambei
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kambei » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 am

In the past I dabbled in collecting more than one genre: sci-fi, Microman/Micronauts, GI Joe, Star Wars. IN the distant past I was an avid Action Man collector. Sadly I passed all of them on a long time ago.

I have given up collecting mainly becaus eof two reasons: The difficulty in obtaining figures in the UK, and most of all: The Price of figures. My main interest these days lies in customising/ I love making customs that have never been produced in 1:18 scale, even better if they have never been made in any scale. I am fast approaching a thousand compoleted customs over teh last 30 years. Over the last couple of years I have been concentrating on creating 1:18 customs of Action Man sets and outfits, and have branched out into military customs inspired by the original Action Man line.

BigMo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BigMo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 am

:p51: Hello all,
Just joined the forum here, I have been a member of the old Flyingmule forum, now I have been with THE DIECAST HANGAR PUB for since Jan 2010, Diecast Aviation Forum across the pond with the same handle BigMo. I have also with Ebay (bigmora) since Apr 1999 100% positive feedback. I have seen a few familiar handles here, most notable Hworth. My interests are many but none compared to 1/48 scale WWII aircraft, just love the things. :mrgreen:

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

I pretty much have everything on your list, a lot of some and a little of others. Check out my "How about showing your collection" post in the 1/18 scale forum section. The proof is in the photos....

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Wed May 13, 2015 6:38 pm

How long has this post been up ?
I like planes and armor about the same.

I grew up with the love of interest mainly because my dad was in the Air Force.

Then when I saw the 1/18th scale Tiger I for the first time I got hooked on armor !!!!

At on time I could not tell the difference between a M-4 Sherman and a M4A1 Sherman .
Now I make the different tanks :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Wed May 13, 2015 7:10 pm

pickelhaube wrote:How long has this post been up ?
Uh, Matthew, it's been up since 2012. You even replied to it then :roll:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Bayoujoe1973
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bayoujoe1973 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:16 am

I joined to learn techniques on making different dioramas. I collected all the great toys as a kid (Gi Joe, Star Wars, He-Man) and still collect as well as costume. Have always had a great interest in war stuff mainly WWII and one of the dios I am wanting to do is a Sherman tank and crew possibly encountering some German armor and crew. I already have the 1:18th Sherman and her crew. I am also working on a GI Joe dio. Have two others that I hope to one day do a 1:6 scale group from the tv show Combat as well as the Firehouse from Ghosbusters in 1:6 scale. My main interest is tanks and artillery with some interest in planes but mainly ground based stuff. Already reading several posts and I am completely blown away by the craftsmanship that is displayed.

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Eddy10440 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 am

Think I've never seen this post before.

I collect only 1/18 scale, WW II exclusively

My main area of interest is 50/50 Armor and military figures, ETO and DAK only.

My favorite era is the Ardennes Offensive.

Note: Don't take me wrong I really like the 1/18 WW II planes very much, but it's either them or me in my house, can't be both at the same time.

GIJosef
Corporal
Corporal

Post by GIJosef » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Let’s do some CPR on this thread, I dabble in military toys in general and 1/18 specifically. I started years ago with simple toy soldiers, then the 1/6 GI Joes from my childhood and eventually downsized to that to 1/18ish figures because of the possibilities that exist with different vehicles, both civilian and military.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:17 pm

I've bounced around too. Being an airplane guy, it was the 1/18 planes at first. Dabbled in 1/32 for the variety. Started to learn more and appreciate ground pounder vehicles thanks to this site. Like many, I started out picking up everything I could find at flea markets, yard sales, Craigslist, Goodwill and such without a true direction or goal. Still enjoy doing custom mods on vehicles. Then I got hooked on the size and scope of 1/6 vehicles and figures. My 1 to 1 military collection dominates my house too which restricts space. Been downsizing 1/18 for a while. Ready to downsize in 1/6 too. I think of it as refining my collection to quality rather than quantity. Then there's my Schleich, Papo and bbi figures and accessories. I'm planning on doing a big castle scene. Despite being financially in a much better place than 10 years ago and retired with time to invest, I refuse to pay the absurd prices being demanded these days for this stuff.
The collection will continue to evolve.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager