Corsair recommendation: BBI vs. 21C

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
olifant
Officer - Brigadier General

Corsair recommendation: BBI vs. 21C

Post by olifant » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:05 pm

I am looking to purchase a Corsair and would like to know which is the better model; BBI or 21C? If you could weigh in and assist me in my choice I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:29 pm

Do a search on this subject, it has been addressed. I happened to be drawn back to this topic a couple of days ago. I like the durability of the BBI one- the wing folding mechanism and how it lays close to the fusilage The 21st later kepford and boyington corsairs are nice to, but figure out the hinges and their screws before breaking the wings hinges and 21st's wings stand straight up folded. The BBI wing flaps function also, unlike 21sts.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Being a much younger model for me the details on the BBI version are a lot more refined.

I only have the BBI example myself and can only comment on some of its issues, the two that really stood out for me and lead me to correct them, where the incorrect rudder and tail wheel shapes, I beleive also that at least on of the HVARs under the wing is in the wrong postion but so far I have managed to ignor this fact, I am sure that one of the real F4 experts out there can point out many other flaws. For me the BBI version just looked a little better over all.

And as mikeg stated I'm also sure there was a thread that went over this very subject in some detail.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:31 pm

I would go with the bbi version. It is more detailed, and the wings can be easily folded up. But with the 21st century one wrong move and snap! Plus there are more different bbi corsairs to choose from than the 21st century :wink:

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:49 pm

I still see the BBI daisy june? and the one with the square white tail emblem intermittently around here- I have'nt seen a marines dream lately, though

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:53 pm

I am a big fan of the BBI Corsair. My Marines Dream Corsair remains one of my all time favorite 1:18th scale models.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:03 pm

You should also consider how you will display the Corsair. If you are going to hang it from the ceiling with the gear down, you will find that 21C (IMO) did a better job with the gear/gear doors. So, looking up at it, you might want to go with 21C. If the plane will be displayed low (e.g. on a desk, shelf, etc.) where you can see the detail up close, I think BBI would be the better choice.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:24 pm

I have to say I like th bbi version better. As mentioned above, it is more refined and has those awesome flaps (as painful as they are to position)

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Charlemagne » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 pm

I pretty much agree with the comments above. I own a 21C Corsair and I like it but the wing folding issue has always annoyed me and having seen the BBI version up close and if I had to do it over again, I would go with the BBI version.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm

BBI version hands down 8) The overall level of detail is far superior to the 21c 1:18 version, the mould of which is going on 5 years of age now. I have the "Marine's Dream" version of the BBI Corsair and, like Saberfan said about his, it tops out as one of my favorite 1:18 planes. I've also been very tempted to get the "Daisy June" plane as well, with its neat late-war paintscheme. If you want to get a Corsair made by 21c, get the 32x version, but leave the 1:18th Corsair for your collection to BBI :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone. TMan, I have plenty of 1/32 Corsairs but only room for one in 1/18th. That's why I want to choose the best of breed.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:39 pm

Damn, thanks to this, I had to stop by a TRU that still has the daisy june (with square H on tail) and the marines offering and looked both over again. It was nice to look again, but not enough oomph to buy another, and the donald duck still looked at quick (quack) glance to much like "killer" to purchase another.

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:14 pm

As mentioned above, Bbi hands down is the better Corsair, both in terms of fit and finish.

tmanthegreat

Re: .

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 am

mikeg wrote:Damn, thanks to this, I had to stop by a TRU that still has the daisy june (with square H on tail) and the marines offering and looked both over again. It was nice to look again, but not enough oomph to buy another, and the donald duck still looked at quick (quack) glance to much like "killer" to purchase another.
The same thing happened to me. The "Daisy June" scheme is looking very nice and tempting, but I must resist the urge!! Then again, I have five P-51s from all manufacturers, so why not add another Corsair? It is most certainly worth it for the $40 price :wink:

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:29 am

For me the best is the BBI Corsair. The detail is incredible, you cant get any better for the price. My Marines Dream Corsair is an eye catcher for anyone who comes to my house. It always gets top comments, even over my beloved Mustangs and Hellcat! If you going 1/18th go BBI. If your going 1/32nd go 21st. But in my opinon BBI rules the roost as far as the Corsair is concerned.

I will say though that I do like 21st's Bunker Hill Corsair. Thats an awsome paint scheme.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Which Corsair is better

Post by JOC » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:30 am

I also agree the BBI Corsairs beat 21st models hands-down. Moving flaps not withstanding, you would think that 21st would finally drop their piss-poor wing hinge design for their Corsairs. One or two times of moving the wings and they are toast.I know that you should loosen the hinge but BBI at least has a decent hinge that will last. If 21st can do a complex hinge movement on their Avenger, why can't they do the same to fix the Corsairs? If the New Boyington version with ground crew comes with the old version of hinge, I would certainly pass up that one. Not worth the hassle of trying to add or decrease tension on the very flimsy non efficient design. JMHO.
JOC

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:04 pm

Well I gave in and got the "Daisy June" variant of the BBI Corsair, thanks in no part to this thread :wink:

The plane had been tempting me for a while, and combined with a coupon and the somewhat dropped store price, I only paid $35 for it 8)

I like the all-blue late war paintscheme, as well as the nose art. Its not as flashy as Marines Dream, but it is accurate. Also, the cannon barrels to convert it from an F4U-1A to an F4u-1C are a nice touch as well :wink:

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

First off I think it is high time that 21st re-do their Corsair and add a removable engine cowl, gun lockers a detailed wing fold and proper landing gear with proper tire width, and an improved cockpit, flaps with full range of motion….ect

I think that the legend series should have an aircraft with that much detail.. :wink:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:48 pm

VMF115 wrote:First off I think it is high time that 21st re-do their Corsair and add a removable engine cowl, gun lockers a detailed wing fold and proper landing gear with proper tire width, and an improved cockpit, flaps with full range of motion….ect

I think that the legend series should have an aircraft with that much detail.. :wink:
VFM115,

That would be nice to see but I dont think that will happen anytime soon.

:wink:

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 pm

MightyMustang wrote:
VMF115 wrote:First off I think it is high time that 21st re-do their Corsair and add a removable engine cowl, gun lockers a detailed wing fold and proper landing gear with proper tire width, and an improved cockpit, flaps with full range of motion….ect

VFM115,

That would be nice to see but I dont think that will happen anytime soon.

:wink:
A guy can dream. 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:34 pm

I just bought the BBI Hellcat and have fallen in love. This is only my eight in 1/18 but beats the bejeesus out of my 21C AC. Next in line is the BBI Corsair.

Is the Corsair wing hinge similar to the Hellcat? I find the Hellcat design very good and sturdy. The wing looks great both folded back and in (mock) flight.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:44 pm

Well, of course, the BBI corsair is next in line- hopefully accepting every comment in this thread, so far..
Similar in the fact they both fold, but the BBI corsair is much simpler- just pull them out to unlock the wings and they fold freely to the appropriate position- unlike the risk involved every time you move 21st's offerings. And you dont have to remove the wings on the corsair to raise and lower the landing gears (like on my hellcat).
Oh, by the way, I damaged two, (2) 21st different corsairs- the brit, and first kepford before I tried adjusting the screws, and even now I dont even mess with the 2nd kepford and boynton versions- they're always hanging.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:32 pm

I hear that. The BBI Corsair (Marines Dream) is excellent in every way for me. The Hellcat? I have had no problems with the landing gear as others have and I just love it, in fact its now my all time favorite 1/18th aircraft. 21st does come close to the BBI Corsair with their 1/32nd Corsairs though I will say that. I hope down the road BBI releases a 1/18th Minisi III Hellcat and a Corsair wearing the markings of the famous VF-17 Skull And Crossbones Squadron.

:D

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:15 pm

I've had reason to rethink my derisive comments about 21st corsair hinge assemblies. In the midst of redecorating the XD portion of the basement, I finally needed to make more room for my hanging AC. I've always thought that 21st would only fold to a 90' angle- not close to the canopy (not even considering breaking). Simply taking the wing off the hinge assy, pushing it further inward, and then snapping the wing back on produced the proper angle. On my first 3 planes, I had various levels of damage (we can't all be geniuses can we?). Even the cracked and broken hinges would still hold the wings steady. I used individual pieces of old aged plywood to display them on the walls, leaving more ceiling space for the fixed wing aircraft. Overall, the 21st system works in the extended as well as wings up modes, so what if the wing can't be moved up and down at the same time? Six corsairs, two avengers, and one hellcat take up a lot less space on the wall than they do hanging from the ceiling.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:32 pm

I have the bbi Marine's Dream Corsair and love it--one of my favorite WWII era aircraft. At the same time, I will admit that I have never seen a 21st Corsair in real life. I don't know if they were simpy that rare, or the distribution system was really that bad, but they have never appeared in any WM or TRU in my AO.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993