Sorry if OT, but Hasbro making GI Joe a UN peacekeeper

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

Sorry if OT, but Hasbro making GI Joe a UN peacekeeper

Post by 20july1944 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 am

I'm sorry if this is old news here, but it made me angry, and I think a lot of hate-mail from current or former collectors to Hasbro would do a lot of good.

The below letter was in the Army Times. You may have to search newswires to get the whole story.

(I don't know who wrote this letter, I don't have permission to publish it -- delete it if violates some rule)

I sent Hasbro a hate-o-gram and I urge you to do so as well.

Letters

Reassigning GI Joe

Opening your Oct. 15 issue with the article regarding GI Joe’s “reassignment” in the upcoming 2009 movie had me and several in my unit rolling their eyes. We felt the need to respond to the news of this egregious twisting of an iconic American symbol of duty, honor and courage.

I’ve been a fan of the action figure line over the last 25 years and still clearly remember getting my first GI Joe (the infantry trooper code named “Grunt”) for my birthday in 1982. To no surprise in my family, I grew up to become an infantry officer in our Army.

For many other fans out there, the news of GI Joe’s impending association with some watered-down “global joint ops” organization smacks of blasphemy. GI Joe is and always will be “A Real American Hero.” The toys, the cartoon and the comics were all wonderful machinations of a brilliant marketing campaign on the part of Hasbro back in the 1980s, and it left many wonderful memories for millions of boys who grew up with the small action figures.

But to all the fans of GI Joe, do not lose hope in the movie being twisted into some politically correct mishmash of a sorry action flick.

I was lucky enough to find some free time and attend the national GI Joe convention in Atlanta about two weeks ago. There, Hasbro representatives confirmed that the movie script is still very much in the works. Like any good marketing team, the Variety article was released as a “pretest” to gauge the reaction to that potential story line — the Joes being part of some international “strike force.”

Weak! The overwhelming negative response by hard-core fans on the Internet and at the convention has clearly sent the message to Hasbro that “G.I.J.O.E.-Belgium” is a bad idea. The people at Hasbro do read the forums and articles on the Internet. The concept for the movie, at least this month, is to stick close to the original feel of the comics from the ’80s, with our favorite counterterrorist team going toe-to-toe with Cobra and its evil minions.

I believe the movie ... [will] make fans happy and bring in a new generation of fans to the illustrious story of GI Joe.

So now you know. And knowing is half the battle.
Wehrmacht Toys make me smile!

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:31 am

Yeah, Hasbro got hammered a bit on this topic at the GI JOE convention. They fully well understand that fans do not appreciate this approach. However, what they have in mind is a global audience for the movie and they are worried about how it will play overseas if everything is too U.S.-centric. Personally, I want it to be U.S.-centric but this is not how a multi-national corporation thinks. So, as GI JOE became "Action Force" in Europe, we're likely to see the same thing again. Unfortunately, writing multiple filecards to re-imagine the characters for different cultures or geographic audiences does not translate well to movie-making.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:39 am

GI JOE is a real American hero!

I really don't like any of the changes that happened in the past decades...

I am part of the old GI JOE school....the one with the Fury beard and the Kung Fu grip.....therefore, for me GI JOE is a US ,AMERICAN made soldier!!!

All the cobra and other stuff is a Hasbro scheme to sell a military item to people that do no like military...

why do we need Cobra?....Destro, or any other make believe characters....

GI JOE is about the real American soldiers.....therefore, it should reflect the real soldiers of our nation.

For example, Snake Eyes, even though a nice character does not really exist in the military.....I think more realistic characters in tune with the real military would make a better subject for a true GI JOE.

regarding the topic of the movie, GI Joe should stay focused in the US military because it is a tradition.....

if they want to make a UN group then it would be better to call the movie:

"UN HANS".......

HOOAH!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:46 pm

I'd posted this link in OT. If you read through it, it relates the story of the Marine that Hasbro asked to use for the image and inspiration for the original GI Joe. His only request was that Hasbro keep GI Joe a Marine. That what erks me about this movie.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/10849526.html
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 pm

I grew up with GI Joe: A Real AMERICAN Hero of the 80s fighting Cobra: a Ruthless Terroist Organization determined to rule the world... :D I'm loving the new 25th Anniversary line of Joes.

With the current events of today, it's funny how ahead of it's time GI Joe was in the 80s. A highly trained American force fighting a terrorist organization.

This movie has got to keep GI Joe American, wether it is based on the original GI Joe or the GI Joe from the 80s.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

alf
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by alf » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:03 pm

So, as GI JOE became "Action Force" in Europe
To be precise at least in france Action Force was a brand name with it's own 1/18 mold (poor articulation like SW) and around 82/83/84 (i don't remember I was a kid) they mixed their line with the GI Joe one but still under the AF brand.

A year later AF disappear from france, and you could buy GI Joe branded figs and watch the TV show instead. It wasn't "A real american hero" but "heros sans frontieres" (read heroes without borders/without fontiers not sure of the good translation but pathetic anyway )

And so far I remember in france, every GI joe figs came with a filcard giving the birthplace and it was from town all over the world (and I think it's the same for every translation they did). btw why the orignal Dusty hold a Famas ? ;)

the old school GI joe from WWII was clearly american and I won't deny GI Joe is an american creation, but the ones fighting cobra could from my point of view easily be an international force (and it was back in the 80' outside USA).

Question from an european joining the GIjoe story in the 80', Don't you think when coming to 1/18 inch, the link between this new toy line and the orginal was only it's brand name (Ok despite Duke who could be the original GI Joe)?

Man do you realize these toys make us see/feel the same thing differently ? it's scary.
Last edited by alf on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:20 pm

I thougt political discussions aren't allowed in this forum. I can't write my opinion about this without getting political.
And again - it is spelled WeHrmacht, guys...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:36 pm

GI Joe lovers are like Sherman tank lovers....both are very zealous about defending the object of their passion. :)

I don't think there's any need for political views to enter a discussion about 4 inch toy figures. There's enough ire in the world; no need to get worked up when talking toys.....though i've done it myself on occasion. :oops:

I'm sure the GI Joe fans are and will continue to let their feelings known and the movie makers will make the final decisions after considering all factors involved...and if that means a change, well, change isn't always a bad thing....sometimes it just takes a little getting used to before you can appreciate it.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:13 pm

It's an American thing! Those of us who have served and fought for America get it especially well. :wink:

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:12 pm

they have a message up on the Hasbro site saying that G.I.Joe will be based in America at the "PITT" and will be the Joe vs. Cobra story, with Duke having the qualities of the original G.I.Joe.

just to calm fears.
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:03 pm

Jolly Roger wrote:they have a message up on the Hasbro site saying that G.I.Joe will be based in America at the "PITT" and will be the Joe vs. Cobra story, with Duke having the qualities of the original G.I.Joe.

just to calm fears.
Here's a link to that:

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm ... F95750D7E9
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

longrifle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by longrifle » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:10 am

you all forget guys.....the UN ownes the United States now...well for the most part

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:58 am

longrifle wrote:you all forget guys.....the UN ownes the United States now...well for the most part
...actually, its the other way around :wink: The US is the LARGEST contributor to the organization in terms of money and material. Afterall, there is a reason that the UN headquarters is in New York City. If the US decided to back out, the UN would cease to exist as the quasi-effective organization it currently is.

So, in other words, the UN doesn't own the United States - the United States owns the UN 8)

Therefore, in my opinion, GI Joe should remain American and it looks like Hasbro may have gotten that message. No reason why GI Joe can't enforce international law, maintain the peace, etc. while battling Cobra. Besides, Hasbro is a large enough corporation that it could bully Paramount to get what it wants :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:21 am

I, like many of you guys here agree that GI-Joe should be known as an American hero. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it should be. Why does Hollywood always feel the need to go and change an icon from the past? I'll tell ya why, $$$$$. That's why. If they can get international sales that's all they care about. Well, I guess we'll all just have to bite the bullet and see how this turns out. I guess when it's all said and done we may get some cool toys from it, but who knows? :)
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:34 am

I know what you're thinking... The people of Srebrenica will be sorely disappointed now that G.I. Joe won’t be sporting an elegant sky blue beret to complement his truly gorgeous fashionista attire. :roll:

ExtnsvEnterprise
Corporal
Corporal

Post by ExtnsvEnterprise » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:57 am

Before the anger and potential hysteria continues any further; here's a press release from the big H in Rhode Island...http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm ... F95750D7E9
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people...

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:54 pm

I loved the show when I was a kid...BUT I look at it now and I realize that the show really sucked!! Im not baggin on the Joe crowd cause I still collect the figures but if the movie is anything like the show I think it will be crap! If it's like the comic books it will be better. I know I will get flamed for this post but I really hope they make this a realistic movie and not some fantasy.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:00 pm

popeye357 wrote:I loved the show when I was a kid...BUT I look at it now and I realize that the show really sucked!! Im not baggin on the Joe crowd cause I still collect the figures but if the movie is anything like the show I think it will be crap! If it's like the comic books it will be better. I know I will get flamed for this post but I really hope they make this a realistic movie and not some fantasy.
I agree with you on the comic vs. the cartoon. The comic was by far the best and it had a storyline. I'd rather see the movie follow the comic book rather than the cartoon too. Actually, I don't know how it could follow the cartoon since there wasn't much if any story line to it.... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:18 pm

The cartoons were really nothing more than 1/2 hour commercials to sell the figures and toys. I agree that the comics would make a much better basis for a story line. I have always loved the GI-Joe line and I hope that they continue it for many years to come. I only hope that they don't mess up the story so bad that it hurts the collecting base that keeps so many people buying the toys. I understand the need for updating a story, but they should try to keep it as close to classic as possible. :roll:
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:55 am

I think we're missing the point a bit here; GI Joe is a real American hero - how many other nations have called all their soldiers "GI"s??

But setting aside an attack of over-reaction, why should the movie not be about a multi-national organisation? There are nations outside the 50 states who have suffered more international (as against "domestic") terrorist attacks than America even if they were not beamed directly into millions of homes worldwide.
Sure, let the team leader be an American but it would be nice of the general American public could be made aware that other countries are doing their part in the War on Terror as well - someone in Washington (DC - yes, the American CAPITAL!) actually asked my aunt how she had got to America - her exact words were "You flew here? You have airports in England?"; she was NOT joking, she really did not know England has airports.
I've seen "news" channels in Florida (one of the world's greatest tourist "communities") where an hour-long program (well, aside from the commercials) consisted of 55 minutes of news about the US and 5 MINUTES about the rest of the world.

Oh, and that furry beard and kung-fu grip? Didn't Joe get those about the same time as Hasbro bought up the Palitoy company over here in England? Palitoy, the people who made the "real" Action Man 12" doll for boys (the same Action Man who has mutated into an over-muscled, tanned and um, Americanized pale imitation of his former self... :( )

Don't forget that this board is not a good representation of the world's population in general - we are all here by choice, drawn together by our mutual interest in scale models (or toys if you want). But even here - amongst "friends" - we get into arguements about things purely because of where we live, and the "our way is better than your way" effect. At least we can show each other where we have got the wrong impression - most people still rely on someone else - their "local" news editor or their government - to tell them all about the world.

Besides, the movie industry has spent far too long rewriting history so that America gets all the credit for everything it will make a pleasant change for them to start redressing the balance a bit!

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant, but it annoys me that so many people seem to think everything about their country is so much better than the rest of the world. And I do not mean to imply America is the only country to do this - everybody does it (except the English, cos we obviously are the greatest! :twisted: :twisted: )
Now if you will excuse me, I need to go find a rock to hide under 'til the storm I just started blows over.

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back So Soon??!?

Post by jeffrowse » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:03 am

Um, me again, I just tried to find out more about the new film on the IMDB (International Movie DataBase) website and found this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093066/

SPOOKY!!

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:09 am

Don Johnson, of Miami Vice and A Boy And His Dog, voicing this!!!! OK the reptiles now make sense. Tho I really do like A Boy and His Dog, had'a be one of Jason Robard's last performances.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:30 am

jeffrowse wrote: Oh, and that furry beard and kung-fu grip? Didn't Joe get those about the same time as Hasbro bought up the Palitoy company over here in England? Palitoy, the people who made the "real" Action Man 12" doll for boys (the same Action Man who has mutated into an over-muscled, tanned and um, Americanized pale imitation of his former self... :( )
I believe you are way off on this. You should read the following link about Action Man and his origins. (Click on the History link on the left side of the webpage) This does come from a UK based website so I don't think you can say it's an American website distorting the truth. The Action Man line (1966) came from the US GIJOE line (1964) introduced two years earlier.

http://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/frameset/frameset.html

Lastly, GI JOE is a A Real AMERICAN Hero. GI Joe is an American concept.

Last I checked, the name of the movie is going to be GI JOE, not Action Man/Action Force. If it were Action Man or Action Force, let them change it. You don't see them changing James Bond to another nationality do you?
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:26 pm

Birddog wrote:Lastly, GI JOE is a A Real AMERICAN Hero. GI Joe is an American concept.

Last I checked, the name of the movie is going to be GI JOE, not Action Man/Action Force. If it were Action Man or Action Force, let them change it. You don't see them changing James Bond to another nationality do you?
That deserves a big honking....
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.