What is your favorite era?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

What is your favorite collecting era/period?

Pre-Roman
1%
Roman
No votes
Napoleonic & Other Empire Wars
No votes
War of US Independence
No votes
US Civil War
1%
Spanish American War
No votes
WWI
5%
WWII
67%
Arab/Israeli Wars
1%
Vietnam/Indochina
11%
Modern Conflicts
14%

Total votes: 81

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

What is your favorite era?

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:22 pm

Fellows I wanted to see the group preferences when it comes to different eras.
Please answer the poll below and feel free to post an explanation/reason.
By the way, not all the eras are presented on the poll, but most major ones are. try to stay within the choices presented.
thanks.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:23 pm

My preferred era is Vietnam!!!
I can't get passed the OD uniforms...hahhaa
granted, I do like modern too.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:25 pm

75th Ranger wrote:My preferred era is Vietnam!!!
I can't get passed the OD uniforms...hahhaa
granted, I do like modern too.
mine too!!!!!!!!! 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:08 pm

WWII is my fave!!!! :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:13 pm

WOW, pretty heavily skewed in favor of WW2 so far. No big surprise there really though.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:19 pm

I like the Vietnam era as well, however the basis of WWII items that can be made is stagering. So, needless to say, WWII for me first then Vietnam 2nd. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:01 pm

I see you left Korea out of the equation. No wonder why they call it "the forgotten war."

C'mon, people, it's the only time in history the UN has found the resolve to actually go to war. Remember the battle of Chosin Reservoir, the Inchon landings, Heartbreak Ridge (no, not <i>that</i> movie) and that all-time favorite Mel Tillis anthem of mine: <i>Ruby, don't take your love to town</i>?

Ah, the good 'ole days when "communist" was a dirty word! You had to be a cripple in a wheelchair to be cheated on by your slutty "signficant other" back then.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:02 pm

As far as collecting goes, my favorite era would have to be WWII, followed closely by the Modern era, and then by the Korean/Vietnam/Cold War era.

Concerning my prefered area of study as a historian, however, it would have to be the US Civil War, followed by WWII and then, oddly enough, by Classical Antiquity.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Mine would be ww2 :wink: Then vietnam. :)

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:30 pm

WWI is my greatest interest :D
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:53 pm

For collecting, I would say WWII hands-down for armor, although most of the aircraft I would like to see built are modern.

As far as 1:1 collecting goes, as well as a special interest for cultural and language research and such, I have to say the "middle ages", including the crusades. Maybe because I have walked through several castles/keeps and cathedrals from the 9-13 centuries, or because I am a former Renn-Faire / AD&D junkie...
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Hmmm is there even anything to collect from Spanish Civil War? I admit I don't know much about it which is a shame.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:17 pm

I'm still deciding on how to vote, as I find it hard to narrow my choice to but one period, however I think in my heart it would have to be late WWII (late 43 to 45).

But more importantly (as "King O' Fools" rightly pointed out) I think the Korean War should have rated a mention as one of the pole options as well as a few other minor conflicts (police actions) of the 50s and 60s.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:42 pm

WW2 hands down. :D

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

ww11

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:45 pm

late WW11

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:03 am

I see you left Korea out of the equation. No wonder why they call it "the forgotten war."
I agree, it would be nice to see the Korean war represented more in model offerings. Part of the problem from a toy manufacturers perspective may be that much of the equipment used in the conflict was of WWII vintage, or at least of WWII era design, and that may make them reluctant to issue more of the same kind of stuff under the label of a different war.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 am

I too would say WWII,then vietnam and modern conflicts.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 am

MIGMADMAVIS wrote:WWI is my greatest interest :D

WW2 is my favorite, but I wish we had more WW1 stuff. 1/18 Spad or Albatross or Fokker DVII ... sweeeet!

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:35 pm

I agree, it would be nice to see the Korean war represented more in model offerings. Part of the problem from a toy manufacturers perspective may be that much of the equipment used in the conflict was of WWII vintage, or at least of WWII era design, and that may make them reluctant to issue more of the same kind of stuff under the label of a different war.
I agree that it is kind of shocking that the Korean War was omited from this poll, and is generally neglected. But thankfully we already have two great examples of Korean war era aircraft in 1/18.(F-86, Mig-15) And I can think of several more which would be appealing and are specific to that era. For example the f9f Panther, which was featured in the movie, "The Bridges of Toko-Ri" and was piloted by the baseball player Ted Williams. We could also dream about seeing the attractive looking Lockeed F-80/P-80 Shooting Star or the F-94 Starfire. 8) Or how about that twin mustang...the F-82! And of course the F-84F Thunderstreak.(In Thunderbirds livery? :D )

newwavepop
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by newwavepop » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:45 am

modern holds no appeal at all to me, i dont know why i just dont think modern millitary looks as cool.and it doesnt feel like the hand to hand warrior honour and tradition is there in modern warfare.
im not entending to offend anyone or insult our troops now and i understand how modern uniforms may be more practical but for me modeling and displaying is for the visual and i prefer older days.
and besides mostly i only collect figures and playsets not vehicles.

i voted ww2 but i would love to see some ww1 and civil war and war of independence.i would love to see more revolutionary and napoleonic war
type uniforms.when a uniform was a uniform.long coats and point hats and long muskets with bayonets.bright and colorful.
lovely displays that would make.
thats the one thing i love about the POTC line some nice captain figures.

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:26 pm

When I posted "I wonder how sucessfull these will be" into the Vietnam figures thread, you guys told me not to be so negative. But when I look at these numbers - I'm afraid these new figures will not be cash cows for 21st. They were'nt in 2002 either.
And again - it is spelled WeHrmacht, guys...

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 pm

WW 1 then WW2. Still working on that A7V. Or at least I look at it when I go out to the shop. :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:02 pm

I am really into WW2 stuff. But I like Korean war era aircraft as well like the F-86. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:39 pm

MandaloreSC wrote:When I posted "I wonder how sucessfull these will be" into the Vietnam figures thread, you guys told me not to be so negative. But when I look at these numbers - I'm afraid these new figures will not be cash cows for 21st. They were'nt in 2002 either.
I think this poll or any poll where you only have one choice can't truly give an indication on how popular or un-popular an era may be (one reason I still have not voted) because by this one vote system you can only choose your number one favourite, personally as I have already stated my favourite era is WWII from late 43 to the end, but having said that I also like early WWII, I also like the late German WWI aircraft and there are even a few aircraft from the 20’s and 30’s that I like the Gee Bee not being one of them.

Almost equally to my late WWII favouritism is my extreme keenness for both Vietnam and Modern. Further if I had the space and money I would also have a Korean section in my collection but as space is already at a premium and funds are as good as non-existent I have to be very careful what I choose to use both of these for and hence I have had to limit myself to just the 3 periods the only exception being my Ju-87 (the space and money issues has prevented a Spitfire and a Emil from joining this lonely individual).

As for the both the American Civil War and the American War of Independence, being a foreigner I have very little interest in either of these two periods, even though as I kid in the late 60s early 70s I had 1/32 sets of both and would spend hours waring on the lounge room floor, that was until I got my WWII guys that is, then all my red and blue coats seemed to just disappear .
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

fuddmiester
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fuddmiester » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Just put one in the box for WWII. May sound weird but it was, at least to me, kind of a romantic era! I get talking to older gent who was in the tail/nose gun of a Fortress and could listen for hours! Be neat to find a place to spend time with these guys and listen to ANYTHING they had to say. My uncle was a medic and hit the beach the after the big rush on D-Day. Pics of the places and the bridges the Germans blew to keep the enemy from advancing....