Quad Trailer -[ not towable ? ]-

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

Quad Trailer -[ not towable ? ]-

Post by MG-42 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:19 am

Well ,.. I went ahead and took the plunge and bought one of these darn things , w/ a discount + coupon ofcourse.

You can't hook it up ta' nothin' ! ..........

I tried it w/ the M3A3 Half-Track , a Sherman , and last but not least , even the Wc-63 for Christ sake. Even though it's not designed to tow it , cause it's only a 1-1/2 ton vehicle compared to the Quad Trailer rated @ 2 tons.

Sheesh ! * :roll: ... Unless they plan to make a "deuce and a half" or something suitable , to actually tow it with. :?

Makes a nice static piece though. 8) ... all by itself or next to a R x R
=x=x= yard or even an airfield etc,.. something like that. :wink:

Very disappointing ! *

Edit : * We really do need @ least a "deuce and a half" or something , just to tow this darn thing. Excellent for a custom job though , too.

Mitch _ v MG
Last edited by MG-42 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:04 am

I feel your pain, MG.
I'll never understand why MOST armor from 21C won't let you be able to place a figure in a seat with out taking his legs off, spending a lot of time trying to 'wiggle' him in it, breaking off the shift stick or steering wheel...now to see this about the trailer...I'm tired of 'static' pieces...but like you, ...I'll probably end up buying the darn thing IF I ever see one....

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 am

Possibly a hint of things to come...?? We can only hope. :roll:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:50 am

ostketten wrote:
Possibly a hint of things to come...?? We can only hope. :roll:
My pappy once said " if you can't use throw it the hell away"
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:14 am

unless you want oversized vehicles or undersized figures, you'll never be able to easily put xd figures in xd vehicles. Their bodies and clothing just don't wriggle and compress like we humans do.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:19 am

aferguson wrote:unless you want oversized vehicles or undersized figures, you'll never be able to easily put xd figures in xd vehicles. Their bodies and clothing just don't wriggle and compress like we humans do.
Time for gummi-figures!
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

aa trailers

Post by krieglok » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:41 am

The WC63 was used to tow artillery, 57mm AT guns, for example. The cargo weight doesnt really relate to the towing capacity in total. The vehicle could tow the same weight in a trailer and figure the trailer is about another 8oo-900lbs , so your WC63 could handle a 2 ton quad mount aa trailer with no problem...

TJ

MG-42

Quad Trailer ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:47 am

"Really" ,.. I did'nt think it was technically possible. ... huh !

Like I said ,.. excellent candidate for a custom job.

v MG

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:35 am

FieroDude wrote:
aferguson wrote:unless you want oversized vehicles or undersized figures, you'll never be able to easily put xd figures in xd vehicles. Their bodies and clothing just don't wriggle and compress like we humans do.
Time for gummi-figures!
Now that's an ideal!

Just think, it's late at night and you are craving something...
Mmmmm a gummi Otto would taste nice followed up with a bite of gummi paratrooper!

The kids could learn some history and have some snacks at the same time!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:26 am

the other thing you have to consider with towing vehicles and trailers, aside from whether they could pull it or not, is whether they can manage it or not during all phases of transport....eg going up hill, down hill, sudden stops etc. So while the WC63 may have techinically been able to tug the quad trailer along, it may not have been able to do it safely and if not it wouldn't have happened.

For example: technically the M3 halftrack could tow the Long Tom howitzer...it had the strength to pull it. But since it didn't have any hook ups for the air brakes on the Long Tom's carriage, it would not have been able to handle it during braking or going up or down steep hills. Because of that it was NEVER used to tow the Long Tom. The unit would spike the gun and abandon it before they would use an unauthorized tow vehicle to tow it.

I have no idea if the WC63 could have towed the quad trailer or not. I'm just pointing this out as something that may want to be considered if setting up a realistic diorama scene.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:34 am

21st needs to sell an adapter kit for the quad trailer then so we can hook it up to something. :wink:

MG-42

Quad Trailer ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:45 am

aferguson wrote:the other thing you have to consider with towing vehicles and trailers, aside from whether they could pull it or not, is whether they can manage it or not during all phases of transport....eg going up hill, down hill, sudden stops etc. So while the WC63 may have techinically been able to tug the quad trailer along, it may not have been able to do it safely and if not it wouldn't have happened.

For example: technically the M3 halftrack could tow the Long Tom howitzer...it had the strength to pull it. But since it didn't have any hook ups for the air brakes on the Long Tom's carriage, it would not have been able to handle it during braking or going up or down steep hills. Because of that it was NEVER used to tow the Long Tom. The unit would spike the gun and abandon it before they would use an unauthorized tow vehicle to tow it.

I have no idea if the WC63 could have towed the quad trailer or not. I'm just pointing this out as something that may want to be considered if setting up a realistic diorama scene.

>>> Good point ! -----> "aferg". *

Edit :

Good point ! -----> also by "immeww2". *

...... but I doubt they'll ever do that , then again , you never know though. Especially if they find that alot of fans are unhappy about it.

.... and I really hate to sound like a "whiner" here too ,.. but @ $29.99 or just a little less , it's still like a "cold slap on a freshly , clean shaven , face". *

...... and to think , + I even bought another one to give away as a gift , too.

v MG

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:14 pm

uhmm why won't it tow it? not speaking about real life but is there a not a hole in the hitch or a tow hook on the trucks?

The german h/t have to be slightly modified at the hook area. Just by looking at one, you have to cut off the molded in lock bar and then us a small drill bit ( hand turned) to drill a hole where the molded in lock bar was and then all you need was small thin steel rod and remake the lock bar.

Of course just for display purposes.

That is my impression just looking. As my US trucks are all packaged I haven't seen the tow hook area. or a quad trailer yet...

DH

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey, maybe it is time for bendee figures like Gumby,
Todd

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:04 pm

The Dodge 1 1/2 ton truck had a "normal "towing load of 3,500 lbs. Practical use showed it could easily exceed that load. Besides the trailer the truck had a "payload" of 3,300 lbs including personnel.

Years ago, I was with a group in a Manhattan parade when our M-3 White half-track blew an intake gasket. We hooked up a chain to our 1 1/2 Dodge and not only pulled the half-track weighing nine tons, through the 20 block long parade but the big Dodge pulled the half-track back to Staten Island, stopping only once while I ran interference with my CC, blocking side street traffic. The Dodge only gave up once, on a steep hill on Staten Island and I jumped out of my CC to hook another chain from the big Dodge to my CC and we both pulled the half-track over the hill. And me with nobody to take pics.........oh, the horror.

Another time, I was buying a M-37 (6,700 lbs) and we brought the 1 1/2 ton Dodge to tow it home. Two hours pulling my M-37 at balls to the wall highway speed, which for the 1 1/2 ton Dodge is around 45mph and never a whimper from the big Dodge. And remember we're talking about a 60 rear old truck here, imagine if it was new... 8)

A trailer, even a big trailer with the quad .50cal........pleeeaaaase. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:38 pm

Official ratings often have a major fudge factor built into them vs. reality. I know I pulled a U-Haul trailer from central KY to MI with my Isuzu Amigo, which has nothing more than a 120 hp (ok, closer to 180 hp when I got done) 4-cylinder and a 5-speed. The truck has a rated towing capacity of 1000 lbs. The trailer was a dual axle 5x8, loaded to the gills and weighng in closer to 3500 lbs. The truck never even grunted, and stopping wasn't an issue, either. Now I wouldn't have tried taking this combo through the Rockies, but across Indiana? No problem. I also have used it often enough to pull start my International front end loader, which weighs in around 3.5 tons (and usually in 4WD on snow or mud, which really pisses off my dad since his Ford F-250 4WD can't do it--it's all about weight distribution and gearing). So while the rating plate may say no--the vehicle just might be able to handle the load--it's only regulations that make it impossible.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:54 pm

BTW - Finally found my bible, and the M17 4 wheel trailer used with the quad .50 had a weight of 4,500 lbs....empty.

They did have available, a tiny 2 wheel trailer with little baby wheels under the quad .50 that was pulled by a Jeep. I've seen this trailer different places but find no mention of it in my "bible". Maybe it was post war?

TTT

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:25 pm

That stinks that you cant tow the darn thing :( You think they would make the hook larger like the pak 40. I can easily fit the hole of the pak 40 on any hanomag without customizing :wink:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

link

Post by krieglok » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Check out this link. I think it is what you are looking for...

https://www.infantry.army.mil/museum/ou ... 12.7mm.htm

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:31 pm

My Dad's TM on the Quad 50 shows that little trailer. Dad said in Okinawa, during the Korean war, they used them to relocate the gun mounts. They used the jeep to move them but had to go slow since the trailer didn't have springs and would start bouncing around if you went too fast.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 pm

If I remember correctly, the trailer with the little wheels has the wheels lay flat on the ground to allow the quad to be fired. It makes sense to have the little trailer to move around the quad. Think of the amount of ammo that is needed for normal operations as well as the crew, a 3/4tn or larger truck wouild be needed just to transport the quad, ammo and crew. Besides the gunner and a NCO gun chief, we're talking about three or four guys just to keep the guns fed. Those "tombstome" drums, when loaded, are heavy and bulky, and somebody has to keep reloading the drums between fire missions. I have only fired a single Ma Duece and it was just awesome. I can't imagine firing four together......WOW..

TTT

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

guntrucks

Post by krieglok » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:12 pm

I have seen photos of duece and a half gun trucks from Vietnam and they had the quad trailer set in the bed of the truck. The wheels fold out of the way so the unit sits flat...Check this out...

http://www.guntruck.com/ReviewM35A1Nancy.html

TJ

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 pm

Very cool. :D
Darren

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:32 pm

here's a video of a quad .50 firing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seitcE7Tf1I