Made in China Toy recall, could this hit 1/18th :?:

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Made in China Toy recall, could this hit 1/18th :?:

Post by Spudkopf » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:44 am

I was just wondering if the Mattel crisis could be more wide spread and effect our 1/18th manufactures? :(

Maybe this has something to do with some of the issues (troubles) hinted at in some other posts.

Just some food for thought!
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

Recall ?

Post by MG-42 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:51 am

Nahhh ,... better hope not. ... :wink:

They're referring mainly about the dangerous levels , and amount of lead , used in the paint.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:20 am

Best thing is NOT to chew on the your XD.:lol:
(It's the 11th commandment: Thou shall not chew on XD)

There could be a potential problem with a company like 21st Century or Admiral being made to do a recall and possibly put them out of business.

From the posts that Jason has made, I really feel he is a peron that would not let something like this happen because of his constant involvement in the process. 21st Century would also be one to have someone on site to do the same in China.
Mattel having so many different lines of toys - I can see problems developing in Q/A.

BBI being bigger could weather the storm of a recall.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

MG-42

Recall ?

Post by MG-42 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:25 am

..... I'll 2nd. that ! ... :wink:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:09 am

I did see, in a news report, a picture of these lead painted toys, that included a WW2 era Jeep, couldn't tell scale. :(

Whatever the maker, just keep your toys away from the crumbsnatchers....you guys kissing your planes are already brain damaged :lol:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:I did see, in a news report, a picture of these lead painted toys, that included a WW2 era Jeep, couldn't tell scale. :(

Whatever the maker, just keep your toys away from the crumbsnatchers....you guys kissing your planes are already brain damaged :lol:

TTT
the Jeep is from the movie Cars serie. So no trouble for us XD collector :wink:

phil

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 am

But.... the S2 Otto is so DELICIOUS! I just can't help myself.Image
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 am

I don't think we have anything to worry about fellas. If you look at it statistically, how many toys are made in China? The odds are definitely in our favor. Not that it couldn't happen, but I seriously doubt it. Besides, how many of us would give up our XD if they had a recall on it anyways? Not me! :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:05 am

tosborne3 wrote:I don't think we have anything to worry about fellas. If you look at it statistically, how many toys are made in China? The odds are definitely in our favor. Not that it couldn't happen, but I seriously doubt it. Besides, how many of us would give up our XD if they had a recall on it anyways? Not me! :D
If one of the items were found to contain lead then the company that produced it would have to recall all of that model. A very expensive endeaver when you are talking about thousands of items distributed all over the world.

Now it would be up to each individual if they wanted to return an item they already owned, and possessed, but the stores and distribution centers would not have that option they would have to return said items.
I fly cartoon airplanes

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:11 am

Yea, I need to stop licking my models. All that lead in the paint is really making me dizzy. :)
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:30 am

Personally I need that lead to coat my head so "those people" can't read my thoughts with their mind control machines....GO TO WORK....PAY YOUR TAXES.....WATCH TV REALITY SHOWS.......VOTE DEMORATIC.....DESTROY YOUR GUNS.....etc.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:Personally I need that lead to coat my head so "those people" can't read my thoughts with their mind control machines....GO TO WORK....PAY YOUR TAXES.....WATCH TV REALITY SHOWS.......VOTE DEMORATIC.....DESTROY YOUR GUNS.....etc.

TTT
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man that's just what I was thinking!
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 pm

Lead containing paints on Chinese made products is a BIG concern, and this situation could potentially impact 21st Century, BBI, Admiral, Hobby Master, and FOV/Unimax just to name a few. I'm not speculating whether or not any of these companies products use lead containg paints, but it's certainly a possibility, and it's worth checking into. It should be noted that you do not neccessarily have to put a piece of a model in your mouth to be at risk for exposure to lead, if you handle a lead painted surface and don't then thoroughly wash your hands before eating or smoking, then you are ingesting lead, even if it's in very small amounts, nevertheless, ingesting ANY quantity of lead is not a good thing for anyone, but is particularly dangerous to children.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:02 pm

tosborne3 wrote:
Threetoughtrucks wrote:Personally I need that lead to coat my head so "those people" can't read my thoughts with their mind control machines....GO TO WORK....PAY YOUR TAXES.....WATCH TV REALITY SHOWS.......VOTE DEMORATIC.....DESTROY YOUR GUNS.....etc.

TTT
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man that's just what I was thinking!
I guess if they take our lead tainted XD away we can always go back to sniffing glue or paint. :oops: Oh sorry I guess that would be me.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:06 pm

I saw a bit on TV, the use of lead in paint creates a very high gloss or luster making toys very attractive to kids.

The xd are a flat paint, so might be using a different paint mixture entirely.

Didn't Jason go in detail on a prior post about the paint process?

DH

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:59 am

From what I've seen over here in the uK, t seems to be just one or two factories that had a problem with paint.

Another load of toys have been recalled due to the way magnets were attached inside them - seems that the magnets may, possibly, come loose so the manufacturers decided to do a recall rather than risk the bad publicity from some unfortunate kid swallowing one - that is, NO magnets actually have come loose, this is just a precaution.

What was the old saying, "Fast, cheap, usable - choose two and forget the third"...

Jeff (Rowse. Schnell, schnell.)

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:31 pm

I dont think it will have much of an effect on the 1:18th stuff. It just seems bashing "Chinese made", is flavour of the week. Here in New Zealand the media (like always) have blown it all out of proportion. But now some people are mega paranoid - it's like..."you've been buying Chinese made, probably your whole life but now all of a sudden your going to act all concerned pffrrtt"... :roll:. Maybe the "west" are now paying more attention because of the 2008 Olympic games being held in Beijing- i dunno. Put it this way - this isnt the first time a product has been recalled and it certainly won't be the last - from China or any other manufacturing country / company.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

sicqnus
Corporal
Corporal

Post by sicqnus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:59 pm

I would never let a child suck my planes... not even play with them. Damn Gremlins ! Keep your GI-joes.