This for those that cry about space and prices increase

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

This for those that cry about space and prices increase

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:39 pm

IMHO

Stop it your killing this hobby, all this whining about I don’t have space and small price increase are making the companies that make our beloved 1:18 stuff scared in making the the bigger aircraft. soon all we will have to look foreword to are repaints and more repaints along with a few new liveries from time to time.

If you don’t have room sell some off or put them in storage, as for the price increases, if we want better, bigger ,detailed aircraft, the prices need to come up a bit. Lets not forget about the effect that fuel has on this hobby.

:cry:
Not looking to offend anyone. 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm

LOL, It's more than likely that it is the retailers that are the ones crying about space and price.. They are the ones that have to stock the shelves, and if it is to big or to expensive they will hesitate at making the purchase.

You have to remember that we here on this bbs are a small fraction of the sales for the 1:18 merchandise.
I fly cartoon airplanes

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Ill make room even if it means stacking them up in my closet and putting some in boxes for storage :wink: Bring out the b25 and the mig 21 :mrgreen: Who cares if the bigger aircraft will be a couple of dollars more. :wink:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:23 pm

Space is an issue for me, but I have found that storing some models and rotating the displays works best. I've sold off a few of my repaints and donated a couple to the local veteran's museum as well 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

GAU-8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by GAU-8 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm

if i really want something bad enough. i MAKE room for it. period. :D

bring on the B-17! ill take a flight of them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:02 pm

Agreed......one can become very resourceful if one wants to. I have far more 1/18 planes on display than i ever dreamed possible when i started this hobby nearly 7 years ago and i still have lots of space left.

It may sound laughable but in a few years i even plan to move into a bigger place. I love this hobby and want to continue with it and real estate in Toronto is a good investment, so it's a win-win in my books.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:56 pm

aferguson wrote:Agreed......one can become very resourceful if one wants to. I have far more 1/18 planes on display than i ever dreamed possible when i started this hobby nearly 7 years ago and i still have lots of space left.

It may sound laughable but in a few years i even plan to move into a bigger place. I love this hobby and want to continue with it and real estate in Toronto is a good investment, so it's a win-win in my books.
We're buying a new home next year and one of my priorities is more room for planes on display and storage (oh yeah, and a bigger kitchen!!!! :wink: )

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm not complaining, I just switched to 1:32 and 1:72 and sold everything 1:18 except for my hanging HHH Mustang and Squitch F-86 neither of which I would ever part with. I have an Atlantic Avenger that I plan on selling eventually. I still collect 1:18 figures though, and believe me I had to stare at that Pak40 Hanomag for a good 15 minutes before deciding to pass on it!!:lol:

Getting a bigger place is not an option for me and I'm afraid neither is more storage space. I'm just glad that companies like 21st, Unimax, Dragon, Corgi and others have come so far in making super detailed and affordable small scale aircraft and armor.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Really, do you think the manufacturers pay attention to our whining? Seriously, if they did, we'd have a true 1/18 A-10 right now. I don't think any project has been shelved because someone on the message board complained about running out of room or being broke this week.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:28 pm

Morian Miner wrote:Really, do you think the manufacturers pay attention to our whining? Seriously, if they did, we'd have a true 1/18 A-10 right now. I don't think any project has been shelved because someone on the message board complained about running out of room or being broke this week.
Jason said something about folks compiling about size and cost somewhere in the forum, sometime ago about the F-4.

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:59 pm

caesarbc wrote:
VMF115 wrote: Jason said something about folks compiling about size and cost somewhere in the forum, sometime ago about the F-4.
Figure that...a manufacturer complaining that his customers complain that his product is too expensive.......I've never heard that one before. Consider the source of the one saying we complain and about what.

I think we all have a right to voice our opinion. Do I love, the product that 21c, BBI and Admiral have given us...yes. Do I love the distribution of it...up until recently...no. I still disagree with 21c's decision to give Badcat and some of the other e-tailers exclusives and therefore the right to gouge the customer. Price was, is and will forever be a sensitive issue to collectors who buy these items in the volume that most of us do. If the producers don't like the opinions of their customers, then they should be in a different business.
I personally don't think that the e-tailers are gouging their customers. I believe that a lot of people are getting spoiled with WallyWorld selling items on clearance, which is not good for the hobby as a whole. If ww is selling something on clearance consistantly it means that it is not moving as fast as they had invisioned, which in turn means that they will probably not be carring that item for much longer.

A perfect example is here where I live I have two WW fairly close to my house they both use to carry 1:18 scale planes, now only one does, and if those planes don't move without being clearanced I'll bet you that they won't be carring 1:18 planes much longer either.
I fly cartoon airplanes

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:02 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:Dear Warhawker,
viewtopic.php?t=7186&highlight=
Remember also that competitors produce for mass-markets. When you produce upwards of 50,000 units of one aircraft with multiple paint schemes, you can afford to list the models at a much lower price. Quantity is directly related to production cost.

Admiral Toys produces in the tens of thousands less then the competition of any one aircraft, with multiple paint schemes. This is directly related to our cost of production. We must charge more to realize any form of profit. Our margin of profit is much lower then the competitions based on production numbers.

The only time I would see pricing being an issue is if the mass-retailers get cold feat with the 1:18 lines (which they are known to do) and drop the competition from their limited shelve space. The competition will not be able to sell the numbers they are capable of selling in mass-markets to the specialty markets. The specialty markets will not support the distribution of 50,000 units. So the competition will have to lower their production numbers and in turn raise their prices to the retailers and public.

Just my two cents,
Regards,
Jason
Jason of Admiral Toys wrote: viewtopic.php?p=94356&highlight=#94356
I have been up with China today/…today. Between phone calls, I thought I might stop by the forums to see what was divulged. I read this post, and I will only say is: “Obviously the companies are scared of manufacturing large aircraft when the first couple of “true collector's” posts worry about where to put these models." We rely on you collectors. But when you say you have no room…we begin to have reservations. This is not a good sign regarding whether or not we should manufacture large scale models. I personally think that large twins are a hoop dream ((unless you are talking about twin jet engines) this might be a hint)). But if you collectors have no room… what do you think the rest of the casual buyers are thinking?

Regards,
Jason

Coreyeagle48

Price Increases and Space

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:15 pm

In regards to space issues,l unfortunately people are going to say they have space issues. Besides this hobby, many people who collect our stuff collect other things, have children, etc and XD cannot dominate their household. I am sure I speak for everyone on here when I say that each of us at one point has wanted something and has either sold something to make room to get it or simply did not get it because they did not have room. I am very glad people are fortunate enough to have room for everything they desire, that must be very nice. But some of us live in smaller homes, apartments and other places and just don't. If the manufacters are honestly complaining that someone that has made room to buy some of their pieces is whining about space issues, then they should not be in the business.

A very interesting comment on that if we keep complaining, they will keep making repaints. Repaints kind of defeat the idea of space issues. I mean if you have limited space, I'd rather have 20 different airplanes than 12 P-51's and eight different planes. If the makers of these toys are worried about people not buying enough, maybe they should take some chances on new items that may appeal to people who have limited space and want something different. For example, I will not buy three Mig 15's but I would buy one and buy a Skyraider if one came out.

In terms of price increases, I think this summer with the price of milk and corn based products and gasoline rising people expect price increases. That is the nature of our economy right now. I honestly believe that gas companies could charge $5 a gallon for gas and there would be people that would not change their driving habits a bit. Some people are willing to pay anything, and some collectors are that way as well. I'm not saying everyone is, but there are some that are. So I don't think price increases will hurt the hobby on a buyer's standpoint. Price increases will hurt if Walmart won't sell them at that price or they have to run clearences on the items because of low volume. I do think our hobby depends on non collector sales as well, and price increases would hurt that audience more than the collector auidence.

In regards to the F-4 fiasco that took place awhile back between Admiral and 21st, that is really between the companies and for them to work out. If any of the companies is trying to place the blame on this board or the collectors for that situation, they are sadly mistaken. I think I speak for everyone when I say we just want an F-4 in our collection, and we don't really care which one of them makes it. Same with the A-10 and many others.

It seems this hobby has hit a major stall recently. I think the makers have it wrong if they think we are complaining and whining. I think we just want some new product to buy. My opinion of course.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

VMF115

Re: Price Increases and Space

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:28 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:
A very interesting comment on that if we keep complaining, they will keep making repaints. Repaints kind of defeat the idea of space issues. I mean if you have limited space, .
I agree but repaints are cheaper and where the real profits are at, plus you my get new collectors who have room to collect they also they don’t have the pervious paint schemes.

It sounds like a viscous cycle, the old collectors sell off their collection to make room and the new collectors buy it up, along with all the new stuff out there, and the cycle repeats itself…LOL
Last edited by VMF115 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:32 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:In regards to space issues,l unfortunately people are going to say they have space issues. Besides this hobby, many people who collect our stuff collect other things, have children, etc and XD cannot dominate their household. I am sure I speak for everyone on here when I say that each of us at one point has wanted something and has either sold something to make room to get it or simply did not get it because they did not have room. I am very glad people are fortunate enough to have room for everything they desire, that must be very nice. But some of us live in smaller homes, apartments and other places and just don't. If the manufacters are honestly complaining that someone that has made room to buy some of their pieces is whining about space issues, then they should not be in the business.

A very interesting comment on that if we keep complaining, they will keep making repaints. Repaints kind of defeat the idea of space issues. I mean if you have limited space, I'd rather have 20 different airplanes than 12 P-51's and eight different planes. If the makers of these toys are worried about people not buying enough, maybe they should take some chances on new items that may appeal to people who have limited space and want something different. For example, I will not buy three Mig 15's but I would buy one and buy a Skyraider if one came out.

In terms of price increases, I think this summer with the price of milk and corn based products and gasoline rising people expect price increases. That is the nature of our economy right now. I honestly believe that gas companies could charge $5 a gallon for gas and there would be people that would not change their driving habits a bit. Some people are willing to pay anything, and some collectors are that way as well. I'm not saying everyone is, but there are some that are. So I don't think price increases will hurt the hobby on a buyer's standpoint. Price increases will hurt if Walmart won't sell them at that price or they have to run clearences on the items because of low volume. I do think our hobby depends on non collector sales as well, and price increases would hurt that audience more than the collector auidence.

In regards to the F-4 fiasco that took place awhile back between Admiral and 21st, that is really between the companies and for them to work out. If any of the companies is trying to place the blame on this board or the collectors for that situation, they are sadly mistaken. I think I speak for everyone when I say we just want an F-4 in our collection, and we don't really care which one of them makes it. Same with the A-10 and many others.

It seems this hobby has hit a major stall recently. I think the makers have it wrong if they think we are complaining and whining. I think we just want some new product to buy. My opinion of course.

Very well said Cory.

:D :wink:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:43 pm

I think that, for now at least, Admiral is in a slightly situation than the other two, and as a result, Jason may be somewhat more sensitive to the concerns voiced by members of this board. Then again, when I consider the fact that we have about 1200 registered members on this board, and there are maybe 50 of us that post regularly. And of those 50, the vast majority will spend what it takes and do what it takes for a plane they want. Point is, Admiiral doesn't have the luxury of grandparents picking up a present for the grandkids at TRU, or a 7-year old pestering the hell out of mom at WM. They rely almost completely on the hobbyists that shop on-line or at specialty hobby shops. As a result, if we--potentially the most active and involved hobbyists--throw up a red flag, it is of greater concern to a place like Admiral.
Now if Admiral could get into Target, or TRU, or even a place like Hobby Lobby, this could change.

Now about whining about price and space: there are very few around here that do. And if this is in reference to the issue of paying more for the Hellcat if it means getting a more accurate one: again I say: if you want the perfect Hellcat, get one from HpH. I will probably get a bbi Hellcat, but it's not high enough on my wishlist to justify paying much more than $50 for it. Now if it were a true 1/18 A-10 or one of several other planes (B-25, F-4, etc.) and is done pretty well, I will happily pony up $150 - 200 or more and move the Avenger, F-104, and F-86s upstairs.

However, I do NOT want to see a plane canned or a manufacturer's rep stop looking to us collectors for feedback because a very few won't accept that a TOY plane intended for mass market sales doesn't live up to the standards of a museum piece. Simply put, if it's not good enough for that person's standards, then don't buy it. But don't ruin it for the rest of us. As long as these items are marketed as toys and made available to the mass market, they are going to have to meet certain standards for that market, in pricing, durability, and ease of manufacturing. Which means they may not be 100% accurate.

Sorry for the rant, but the whole issue is getting old. Simply put: if you don't like it, don't buy it.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 pm

VMF115 wrote:
Morian Miner wrote:Really, do you think the manufacturers pay attention to our whining? Seriously, if they did, we'd have a true 1/18 A-10 right now. I don't think any project has been shelved because someone on the message board complained about running out of room or being broke this week.
Jason said something about folks compiling about size and cost somewhere in the forum, sometime ago about the F-4.
And you can go back and find how many 21C comments where they could care less about our whining. If they listened to us, would there be a Walker Bulldog, Starfighter, or CIA Huey? And how much of the F4 complaining about prices was based on the retail prices between AT and 21C being something like $40 different.

One thing I notice about message boards is generally everyone complains. Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, etc. "I don't have space for my collection" "I can't find this chase figure" etc. This hasn't stopped Hasbro from pumping out more and more plastic. They know someone out there will buy it. Even better, find the threads when something is announced, how many people is "what a piece of crap" "too big" etc, then once its realeased "BEST MODEL EVER! I BOUGHT 5!!!"

But, I'm also of the opinion that alot of our "Would you buy this?" polls do more harm that good. How many have some obscure equipment, and everyone says "I'm all over that!" You wonder if it did see the light of day, and someone saw it in the store, would they actually buy it?
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:51 pm

FieroDude wrote:
Now about whining about price and space: there are very few around here that do. And if this is in reference to the issue of paying more for the Hellcat if it means getting a more accurate one: again I say: if you want the perfect Hellcat, get one from HpH. I will probably get a bbi Hellcat, but it's not high enough on my wishlist to justify paying much more than $50 for it. Now if it were a true 1/18 A-10 or one of several other planes (B-25, F-4, etc.) and is done pretty well, I will happily pony up $150 - 200 or more and move the Avenger, F-104, and F-86s upstairs.

However, I do NOT want to see a plane canned or a manufacturer's rep stop looking to us collectors for feedback because a very few won't accept that a TOY plane intended for mass market sales doesn't live up to the standards of a museum piece. Simply put, if it's not good enough for that person's standards, then don't buy it. But don't ruin it for the rest of us. As long as these items are marketed as toys and made available to the mass market, they are going to have to meet certain standards for that market, in pricing, durability, and ease of manufacturing. Which means they may not be 100% accurate.

Sorry for the rant, but the whole issue is getting old. Simply put: if you don't like it, don't buy it.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Getting something done right the first time would not cost a few grand. :roll: Doing the wings and landing gear would cost what, an extra dollar to each at whole sale price even if that. How much does the AT Me-262 cost? I was hoping that the Bbi Hellcat would have been somewhat as detailed as that bird.
The hellcat could have been a great 1:18 bird but now its ok. I do say the rivets detail is outstanding.

The Bbi hellcat should be better or just as good the AT me-262. The main reason, Bbi has been around for a lot longer time then AT, they should have the experience to turn out a better bird at aprice we can all agree on.
Last edited by VMF115 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:59 pm

I just hope Jason comes back around and talks to us. He was one guy that got me excited about 1/18 scale planes because he was really excited about his companys products. Hey we all complain about space, price, accuracy, and why it takes so long to get the products to the market. The one thing we all share is a love for the hobby, and I think that will get us through this kind of funk we are in now. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:00 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:In regards to space issues,l unfortunately people are going to say they have space issues. Besides this hobby, many people who collect our stuff collect other things, have children, etc and XD cannot dominate their household. I am sure I speak for everyone on here when I say that each of us at one point has wanted something and has either sold something to make room to get it or simply did not get it because they did not have room. I am very glad people are fortunate enough to have room for everything they desire, that must be very nice. But some of us live in smaller homes, apartments and other places and just don't. If the manufacters are honestly complaining that someone that has made room to buy some of their pieces is whining about space issues, then they should not be in the business.

Well said! That deserves a.. Image
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:01 pm

Good comments MM. Very good comments.

The difference between Hasbro and 21st and the gang is that Hasbro has the fortune of owning the movie rights to those figures. Star Wars is just such a part of American culture that if you put Star Wars on it, someone will buy it. It is the same as Disney. It seems anything related to Disney or has Disney's name on it will sell in the store. I think between Disney and Star Wars, that was half of my students lunchboxes last year:)

With our hobby, there is still a limited market, meaning, only certain people do buy it. People who are history buffs, aviation buffs or like miltary items are buying these items. Then we have people who are buying these items as a gift for these people as well. I think very few children are running into Walmart to find an F-86 and say they want to take it home. They are busy looking at Hot Wheels cars. And why do Hot Wheels cars sell? Because they are still 89 cents, it's a quick impulse buy and parents are more willing to buy that than a $30 airplane, especially for little kids.

I agree Admiral might be in a sensitive situation, and I greatly respect Jason for working so hard to start up his own company like he did. However, despite what the forum may say or do, his company still has to put out product in order to make money and stay in business. It is the only way he will stay in business. I think he has great ambitions to produce some very unique airplanes and he should work hard to follow through with them. He shouldn't worry so much because the Dauntless and Skyraider would be so unique and they would sell. They will not sell though if they aren't available to buy. Simply put, all three of our companies have to have product out to stay in business, and as some have said, it must be desirable product people know and are willing to buy.

I hope all three companies stay in business and continue to offer fantastic WWII replicas of very important airplanes. I haven't bought any in awhile but as soon as I finish my degree and have extra cash, I'll be catching up:)

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Why is every time some one say they wanted some short of improvement people lash out and say these are not museum pieces, if you want a 100 % accurate, go buy an Hph…. All I want to see is a decent landing gear with the right sized scale tires and decent folding wing, is that asking for to much? And if they did make it, will it cost a lot,,,I bet no it would not. :roll:
I have been waiting for a long time for this bird and I feel I have been let down, and I know I am not the only one.

This all I will say about the hellcat,,and yes I get it.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:29 pm

Sabrefan and Fiero Dude, I like the way you guys think. I'm with ya. :wink:

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:33 pm