BBI Sherman

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mondaytanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

BBI Sherman

Post by mondaytanker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:28 am

I noticed a thread comparing the BBI to 21st. But no thread dedicated, so I will try this.

I received my BBI Sherman last night. It was everything everyone has said it would be. It is an awesome model! At $33 from Bad Cat + $10 shipping it is the same price as 21st's M-4 from WM. The detail is exceptional and all the little accessories are just great! Too many to list! But a few worth mentioning are: (2) crates of 105mm HE rounds, the sub-MG (not sure what it is but looks like a Maschinenpistole MP-40), binoculars, ammo cans and loose jerry cans. Markings! Did anyone ever notice there are no markings on the 21st WM M-4? Maybe 21st did this so you could customize them and not end up with a platoon of 5 tanks with all the same number. (Tiger I ring a bell) But who is the commander yelling at? I wanted to put my Patton figure standing in front of the tank and take a pic. I bet the tank commander would get more than a slap for yelling at the general.

I only have a few cons:
Track spacing, the tracks are narrower than the tank hull by allot. Referring to illustrations and photos in my Squadron Signals book on the Sherman this isn't right.
Glossy plastic showing on the castings for the suspension.
The engine detail isn't up to par with the T-34 I saw yesterday. http://tanxheaven.com/t34workbench.htm (I'm kidding) :D

Overall it is a great compliment to the 21st Sherman. I must have another! :D

mondaytanker

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Tinman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:04 pm

Let's hope bbi produces more armor!

Sgt. Stryker
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sgt. Stryker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:09 pm

How is the quality of the plastic? Is it really thin and brittle like a plastic model kit, or is it thick and durable like the 21C Sherman?
Stryker

mondaytanker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mondaytanker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:23 pm

The plastic is very durable some parts are almost rubber like.

After re-reading my first post I realized I didn't give much of a product review.
The paint is of good quality and very good weathering for a mass produced piece. Except, it seems that the components were painted individually then assembled. On the front final drive housing is a seem and the paint on the two separate components doesn't match. You can see this on the pic at Bad Cat's web site. BBI did paint the board that was field installed to carry extra cargo. Also the loud mouth tank commanders teeth are even painted! The descriptions on the ammo cans and crates is also done very very well. I did notice on the Jerry cans that only "US" is stamped, my Tamiya Jerry cans read "USA".
The tracks roll very easily, do to the fact that they are a little loose, and the pitch of the track links is a little long and they don't fit the sprocket very well. The BBI M-1 has this same problem. The detail of the tracks is accented with highlights and looks really nice.
All the hatches open easily, but the driver and assistant drivers hatches don't stay open.
There is lots of detail on the turret. Some small features that may go unnoticed in photos are the spot light and the loader and gunners periscopes are installed, which means the periscope covers are open, a very nice touch. Something that bugged me about the 21st M-4 turret is there is no bottom at the back of the turret. BBI added this.

That is what I noticed after comparing it to the 21st M-4 and photos in my books last night.

I found out what the sub-MG is, it is an M3 "Grease Gun", (per Bad Cat's description)

mondaytanker

shorty
Corporal
Corporal

Post by shorty » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 pm

i think the bbi tank is really good but i didn't like the winter camo paint, respraying it in olive drab makes this tank look even better i find....though it took a while to strip all the gear off

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wife test

Post by lablksmith » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:41 pm

:shock: My wife "accidently" knocked my die cast 21st Sherman off the table onto the floor last week. Not a scratch. Yesterday she "accidently" knocked my BBI Sherman off the table onto the floor. Again not a scratch. So,floor test, even :!:

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Weights

Post by lablksmith » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:18 pm

Hope not on purpose, but you never know. The BBI is not die cast but it is well made. I weighed the Diecast 21st Sherman and it is 2pounds.
The BBI is 1.5 pounds. The original 21st Sherman is 1.25 pounds, or there about.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:20 pm

AND the 4 105mm rounds in the two cases are removable. Each is painted and lettered with so small letters I can't read it all.

The BBI comes with so much lose stuff you can make a diorama by itself (the commander, grease gun, field glasses, gas can and the two cases with the 4 105mm shells, and two .30 cal cans and two .50 cal cans).

I am impressed and I'm not easily impressed......by a toy anyway.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:46 am

Hello guys,

I receive mine today and after reading comments about it, heres is my + and - points :

POSITIVE : accessories, welding effects, engine, stuff here and there on the tank, markings, hatches details, paints and cast markings (no such one on 21st Sherman) on hull, turret, hatches, gun mantlet and suspension.

NEGATIVE : norrow tracks (just compare with pictures and 21st one), hollow hull above tracks, sprockets and tracks don't fit very well, seam on gun and too tick protection for headlights.

Maybe is there a way to use tracks, suspension and sprocket from 21st Sherman to fit to the BBi one.

Anyway, it's a good model to upgrade. I hope to see in a near futur a Sherman with the cast hull and a Jumbo version.

phil