Battle damaged aircraft??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tracer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Battle damaged aircraft??

Post by tracer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:04 am

I know a few of you guys detail your planes, and I've heard mention of displaying them in dogfights with each other. My question is has anyone added bullet holes down a wing or across the fuselage of their plane? Any pictures?
I'm sure this could be done with a heated sewing needle.

P.S. I found my way over from GP's site :lol:
Yes Dear, I know you said no more planes, But this one is special!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:09 am

Haven't attempted that yet, though if done correctly it would be cool! I once thought about getting an XD plane for cheap at WM (one that can easily be replaced) and attempting to hit it at the right angle with a shotgun blast (from relatively long range so there is more scatter from the pellets) to simulate heavy flack damage :P . Thats just a crazy idea and I'd probably just end up destroying the whole plane...

Just1more
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Just1more » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:08 pm

I've done it with a small heated nail, with some practice you can get 'impact buldge'? I'm not sure if that is what you call it but I tried to mimic shots being fired from the lower right rear of my P-47 and I think they came out pretty good. If I can take pics of them I will post it.

David

dangaroo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dangaroo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:00 pm

tmanthegreat, that's actually not a bad idea because if use a hot nail or pin on the canopy, it just doesn't seem realistic, but shooting at it with a shot gun or pellet gun (with pointed pellets) at long distances makes the holes nice and clean with some small cracks for the canopy only. The hot nail works fine for the rest of the plane.
Danny

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:03 pm

A small drill would work too. The heated pin can cause too much distortion if you are not careful.

TJ

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:22 pm

unfortunately i think a shot gun blast would crack large chunks of plastic rather than make lots of chewed up looking holes. Would still be kinda fun to do though, especially if you had the plane hanging from a tree. :D

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:39 pm

I wish the tons of CIA Huey's in my area would drop to $7 as have in some areas coz I'd definitely buy some & experiment with several different types of arms!!! :mrgreen:

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:03 pm

I got a Stuka for $25 that was trashed... The canopy's smashed incredibly, but I found every shard of it... Beyond that the plane's actually just complete and in good enough shape... Oh the one prop's snapped off.

It's a complete plain though (the pig one), and I was pondering doing a plane that crash-landed... Maybe the wheels snapped off in the trees on its way down for a bellie-landing. I saw something similar with a German fighter shot down with Russian film crews filming around the discovered wreckage. That was a model diorama I saw at a hobby shop that closed down around my area. Very cool...
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:02 pm

Why not try something like this:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/markltuc/i ... wn4_BW.jpg

This is an abondoned Wulf found in April '45....be a good project to do on 'black 12' when it comes out...

tracer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tracer » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:54 am

aferguson wrote:Why not try something like this:
:lol: :lol: I could just toss one on the floor and tell both of my daughters, "I'ts ok to play with" Then it would look like that.:lol: :lol:
But then maybe I shouldn't based on the post by KAMIKAZE
Yes Dear, I know you said no more planes, But this one is special!

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Shotgun Blast

Post by corpbob » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:39 am

The shotgun blast idea will only destroy the airplane. The plastic doesn't have enough tensil strength to allow only a hole, so the plastic will shatter. Now if the planes were aluminum, that idea would be sweet.

mburduck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mburduck » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:11 am

I've thought about adding battle damage to a plane or two but can never quite bring myself to do it. I suppose I'd first need to experiment on a "lesser" model and master the technique.

A bubble-top P-47 with some neat battle damage would look just great. And of course we can assume that the plane brought its pilot home safe and sound....

Mike

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:59 pm

*BUMP*

I think I might try this with a saudern iron. Might even give you that burnt detail when being hit by ammunition :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:02 pm

Some model makers who want realistic bullet holes and battle damage take a dremel or just sandpaper and sand the area behind where you want the bullet hole to appear. If you sand it right you will get the plastic very thin without distortion. Then take an xacto knife and very carefully cut a small hole on the other side and wiggle it slightly, you get a great looking bullet whole. For Flak damage do the same thing but over a wider area after cutting open the whole use some tweezers to peel back the plastic in a flower shaped pattern around the whole and paint the inside area aluminum. It involves taking your plane appart but the results are stunning.

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:14 pm

attempting to hit it at the right angle with a shotgun blast (from relatively long range so there is more scatter from the pellets) to simulate heavy flack damage

I like the shot gun ideal . 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm

i believe that's been tried. Fun, but i think it just shattered the model..

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:32 pm

Me too!