Who Cares?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Who Cares?

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:42 am

All right guys . I don't think this has ever been done. But here is the first who cares list. :shock:

Of all the planes we all love and want the big three to build what is your LEAST favorite :?:
I think you guys know what mine are but in case that you have not been taking notes , I think the Skyraider is on the top of my list on things that are coming out I could care less. :?

The one series that I really do not care for that has been made is the P-47 Razor Back. Although I have all except the checker tail when these came out I was not too excited. :?

So what about you guys :?: :?: :?:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Coreyeagle48

P-51's

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:56 am

Good post!

I have to say the plane I least care about right now anyway would be the P-51 Mustang. It's a neat plane at the airshows, and there is nothing like the sound of that Merlin humming along, but it is a plane that has seriously been overdone by many different companies over the past couple years. I know they are capitalizing on the market so to speak and they know it will sell because it is a popular plane, but everytime they talk about a P-51 repaint I just kind of think "Who cares anymore?" I think now it has become that only Mustang fans or new fans of the hobby are buying them. I personally don't have room for one of each plane I want let alone 6 or 7 Mustangs.

I have to say I felt this way about the F-18 too. Granted, it is a great plane and the Blue Angels fly it, but it just isn't that cool. I know the Navy thinks it is cool but I personally thought and still do that BBI should have made the F-14 first. The F-14 has so much appeal due to the design, raw power and most of all the movie Top Gun. I feel it would have been a huge hit. I saw an F-18 at TRU and was going to buy it actually but then it was just like, it doesn't interest me enough to fork over the dough for it, so I left it go.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:04 am

Corey ,
You are the first person that I have heard say anything deragotory about the 51 :!: :!: :!: Maybe this post is long over do. Let's here more. :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:09 am

Personally I"m sick to tears of the many variations of the Bf-109 or ME-109. The D-9 is there as well. My walmart still has a few that have sat there for ages. They could vanish too as far as I'm concerned. How ever in the future I think I'd like to see an "A" model. The far future that is.

Oh and you can through the Mustang away as well unless you make some air racing versions.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:10 am

Put my vote in for a P-39. I don't understand the appeal of this plane; maybe because I know it was lousy and hardly used by the US, so I'm biased against it, but I just always picture that plane being pawned off in large numbers to the Soviets. I also don't like that car door it had on the side... :D

Plane Nuts
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Plane Nuts » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:10 am

Honestly, I'm not touching this one. If you are not a fan of certain airplanes, that is your perogative. But there are many like me where the airplane is the best thing in the world, and we are not collectors in this genre because we are interested in toys. Having the large scale is the next best thing because Uncle Sam won't let us have the real thing, or that other pe$ky detail gets in the way.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:31 am

Plane Nuts,

Like you I am not even getting into this discussion. You pretty sum up how I feel about it.
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 am

Ca'mon guys lighten up. None of us wish these planes would vanish off of the face of the earth :lol: But we all do not walk blindly through life going along with the norm and do what others do. We all should have our own opinions :twisted:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 am

Ca'mon guys lighten up. None of us wish these planes would vanish off of the face of the earth :lol: But we all do not walk blindly through life going along with the norm and do what others do. We all should have our own opinions :twisted:

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:47 am

Yea, I think this topic could cause some heat on favorite not favorite planes. Someone who loves a plane could get angry. I for one love the P-51D Mustang and F-18 Hornet (two favorite planes).

Coreyeagle48

P-51's and F-18's

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

I agree, we are talking about toy airplanes and not the real thing here. I like P-51's, enjoy seeing them fly, talking to their owners and would kill for a ride in one. They are terrific airplanes. They clearly have many fans because people continue to buy replicas of them and hold them dearly in their hearts and many people work very hard to keep the survivors flying and maintained to airshow worthy condition. I salute these efforts, the people that flew these airplanes, fly them today and the people that built them. I agree with lots of history books, without the P-51 in World War II, we would have been in big trouble.

The point I am making is that I feel that the toy companies in general have overkilled this airplane. There are way too many of them on the market. I'm glad we have these choices, but what bothers me is that when a new company comes along, guess what plane is the first to be made, the P-51 Mustang. I understand it is popular, people buy them, and people are brand loyal and will buy whatever a company makes, but it's just getting to be annoying seeing the same airplane available by every company when I would love something different. Even in the R/C world, every R/C maker has a P-51. I just wish we would see some different things.

I like the F-18 too, but with the exception of the fact that the Blue Angels fly them. I was never much the fan of it. I grew up hearing about the F-14 and love the F-14. I'm not saying the Hornet is not a great airplane, it is, I just like the F-14 better. The only reason I said anything about the F-18 was that it just seemed that when it came out, at least around here, they kind of just sat here for awhile collecting dust. By comparison a bunch of toy F-14's with a little helmet gizmo thing that allowed you to talk to it sold out within a few days. Top Gun made the F-14 very popular, for better or for worse. The F-18 is an airplane liked by the aviation community and the people who fly it and people who follow the Blue Angels, but I wonder of the appeal of it outside our world.

It's kind of like the A-10 thing we have been talking about for the past few days. We love the A-10 here, but does the general public know enough about it to purchase it, or will they simply say "Who Cares?" and keep walking. I think that is why we see the same airplanes over and over again.

I don't say "Who Cares" to any real airplane because they are all so cool, and everyone here has favorties. But for toys, sometimes I do, simply because they have had so many replicas of that particular plane.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:19 pm

I personally love my Bf-109G's, although room constraints don't allow for many, they are the most numerous XD plane I have.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:21 pm

I'm sure it's not the TC's intent but this topic is pure flame bait and I'm not touching it. 8)
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Rowsdower wrote:I'm sure it's not the TC's intent but this topic is pure flame bait and I'm not touching it. 8)
I agree
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:35 pm

I think its fair that one should be able to express their opinion about which aircraft they like and do not like. No one here is saying that the P-51 was the crappiest fighter ever made (quite the contrary) just that the market does have a number of them out there and given that most of us only have the potential to buy one or two repaints and not every bird in the collection...

There have been some 1:18 planes that at first I thought I wasn't going to get, when lo and behold, some weeks or months down the road, they wound up in my collection :wink: The BBI Corsair is my case in point as I held off getting one as I thought my 21c plane was sufficient. I eventually broke down and now I'm quite happy with my "Marines Dream" Corsair! The same also happend with my 21c F-86. When that came out, I really didn't care for one as my AT example was good enough in my opinion. After listening to the positive reports and seeing pictures of the 21c F-86, my opinion changed and now I have one in addition to the AT jet.

I think a better topic may be: Which aircraft of those that have been (and will be released) were you most excited about 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:53 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I think its fair that one should be able to express their opinion about which aircraft they like and do not like. No one here is saying that the P-51 was the crappiest fighter ever made (quite the contrary) just that the market does have a number of them out there and given that most of us only have the potential to buy one or two repaints and not every bird in the collection...

There have been some 1:18 planes that at first I thought I wasn't going to get, when lo and behold, some weeks or months down the road, they wound up in my collection :wink: The BBI Corsair is my case in point as I held off getting one as I thought my 21c plane was sufficient. I eventually broke down and now I'm quite happy with my "Marines Dream" Corsair! The same also happend with my 21c F-86. When that came out, I really didn't care for one as my AT example was good enough in my opinion. After listening to the positive reports and seeing pictures of the 21c F-86, my opinion changed and now I have one in addition to the AT jet.

I think a better topic may be: Which aircraft of those that have been (and will be released) were you most excited about 8)
Very well said, thats how I feel yes it was great to get the Mustang and 109. But I feel that there are just too many of them right now. I didn't think I'd want anymore F-18's but I did buy a red devils version too. Remember when you ate to much candy on Halloween and got sick? It is the same thing to me, but I know in time I'll want more.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:00 pm

To be 100% honest there really isn't a single WWII aircraft I wouldn't buy, but there are ones I would prefer to see made first. I understand how someone could get sick of all the P-51 and 109 repaints, but since they still haven't released any of my favorite paint schemes for either of those planes I say keep them coming. If you don't like them , don't buy them, that's what I do.

P.S. Yes, the P-39s combat performance wasn't quite up to par with the likes of say, the Hellcat, but it was still a awesome looking aircraft with a very deep and varied history throughout WWII. Plus, who doesn't love an underdog?

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:30 pm

For me (and this is about the 1:18 scale airplane only) it's the Atlantic version of the Avenger that I just could not get excited about. I've looked at it again and it doesn't do anything for me. Even on clearance at $25 I've passed on them. It's the paint scheme in this case, not really the plane. The gray and white paint just looks dull to me on this plane.

On the other hand, the Pacific colors on the Avenger look great. Looking forward those releases.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:40 pm

Airacobra wrote:
P.S. Yes, the P-39s combat performance wasn't quite up to par with the likes of say, the Hellcat, but it was still a awesome looking aircraft with a very deep and varied history throughout WWII. Plus, who doesn't love an underdog?
I agree with you no matter what the performance of the P-39 was I'd really like to see one just because it is so cool looking.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:03 pm

well
i think this could be a good thing, a couple of years ago i complained about 21st doing the Mc-202/205, :shock: then i started doing research on it.
now i love it also :D . so this might make other people start thinking about likes and dislikes.
PS i can't wait for Skyraider, i saw them in action in VN.soo....
if it has wings or rotors i love it :roll:
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:41 pm

What about WW 1 planes :?: :?: Any fans out there or could you guys care less
And again this is not a test don't take this too seriously :lol: . The anti XD patrol will not come knocking at your door. :D

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:50 pm

I think if the P-51 and older aircraft where made with more detail, opening gun lockers, removable engine covers, other then that I don’t need another p-51 one is good enough.

Unless they have that detail, then I would buy one, or two.

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:53 pm

How about a reverse spin, if I may....one airplane that there have NOT been too many of is...

the P-38!!

dV
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 pm

der Vogelfänger wrote:How about a reverse spin, if I may....one airplane that there have NOT been too many of is...
the P-38!!

dV
Its not a bad aircraft but the mold is a bit dated.

To me it’s not the aircraft itself but how the model is made and detailed from the Toy Company

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:01 pm

The one plane that I just didn't get very excited about is the P-40. I bought one, but haven't bought anymore. And I am a sucker for repaints. It just doesn't have that much appeal to me. Also, the Spitfire has very little appeal to me. I would be more interested if they did a later version. I only bought the D-Day Spit.