reviews of new D Day figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

reviews of new D Day figures

Post by Fitzystigertank » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:49 pm

I got all 6 figures for xmas and i like the new articulation. you don't really need the molded arms that carries the guns. the accessories that come with them seem pretty nice. the faces are really silly looking. looks like they had to much sun.
ok heres what my main gripe and pet peeve is. WHATS THE DEAL WITH RANKS!!! i mean come on. you call him a private and he has sargent or col. insignias on his sleeve. I put all my american figures up on display and noticed that the BOB figures are all Lt's. its not just 21st BBI does it too. on the new army guys the captain who has the insignias on his helmet is supposed to be a major. its not like i can switch arms to match ranks but there mostly all wrong.
well i just hope that before the rest of the new figures come out they think of fixing this problem.

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: reviews of new D Day figures

Post by digger » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:24 am

Fitzystigertank wrote:I got all 6 figures..you don't really need the molded arms that carries the guns...
I have to disagree, I love the molded arms. They are better proportioned and look better than t he arms with a bunch of joints. The articulation is obviously a must but I would hate to lose the molded arms.

I agree the gear is nice but I don't like how the US guys are virtually identical from the waist down.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:24 pm

The articulation on the figures is much improved, and they also sit quite well. The US tanker figures squeeze nicely into the confines of the M-41 interior, even better than the origional BoB US tanker figures. The accessories are great and I am especially fond of the opening binocular case! My favorite figures in the new series have to be the German figures. Since the D-Day figs showed up in my area, I've bought a bunch of the Germans, but only four American figures. The US figures (except the tankers) seemed more redundant to me, considering the S1 XD troops and the BBI infantry figures.

As with the above comments, I'm not too wild about the headsculpts, but I can live with them. A little more variety in the faces would have been prefered, especially among the German heads, which are the same on the two current figures. The biggest complaint - for me - concerns the pegs that attache the heads and arms. They can only be used on the new figures as is and are not easily swappable with other XD figures, like the BoB and Paratroop figure heads & arms were. Without shaving down the pegs, the custom possibilities are somewhat limited with the new figures.

All in all, they are good figures, but I hope 21c will release figures from other nationalities (ie British and Russian troops) for their next wave.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:50 pm

You can use the new arms on old figures, but its a one shot deal - you have to cut the pegs on the new arms to shorten them, and drill out the holes on the old body. They're still articulated, but you can't really switch the arms on teh figure anymore.

As for the heads, I wish they would go back to flesh-colored plastic and loose the dark washes. I ended up repainting my German's head with a flesh paint more to my liking.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

MG-42

New D-Day figures ?

Post by MG-42 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:59 am

...... and the national insignias on the helmet of the "Parade Dress Enlisted Man" is totally out of scale. Just like they did with the "SchutzStaffel" helmets. ... They got the "BoB II" guys helmets "spot-on" though. :oops: = :roll: .... Other than that ,. besides the other krauts camo being "unknown" ,. are ok to me. ... Repaint or camo the helmets and correct the camo'd guy. :lol:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:04 am

Since we're on this subject, I have a question. Does the German parade soldier have the gear that hangs off his back? (breadbag,gas-mask cont,cantene,etc) I haven't seen these figures in the store yet and I was just curious about this figure since you can't really tell from the images from 21st. Thanks guys!! :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:08 am

i believe this will answer your question.

http://www.sshqdb.com/coppermine/displa ... =355&pos=1

MG-42

Parade Dress Enlisted Man

Post by MG-42 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:21 am

tosborne3 wrote:Since we're on this subject, I have a question. Does the German parade soldier have the gear that hangs off his back? (breadbag,gas-mask cont,cantene,etc) I haven't seen these figures in the store yet and I was just curious about this figure since you can't really tell from the images from 21st. Thanks guys!! :D
>>> No ,.. but the other (camo'd) kraut does ,.. but instead unlike (S-1) ,.. the new one has holes in it to attach the canteen,.. mess kit etc,.. this time. :wink:
... v MG
Last edited by MG-42 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:27 am

Thanks, I guess it's fairly obvious that the gear isn't supplied here, I was wondering beacause this soldier has the gas mask strap across his chest. :? It doesn't matter though I'll still pick up loads of this figure when I find em. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 am

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:11 am

Strange situation, isn't it? We were told that a wave of 18 new XD figures is on the way. We've seen images of 17 of them and now 6(?) figures have been released and we have now idea in how many waves these 18 will come, when we will see wave 2 and which figures will be in wave 2......

:wink:

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:35 am

More importantly, when will the online retailers get them? I've been breaking my neck going to all these different walmarts in columbus and haven't seen a single figure. Geesh!! :(

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:12 am

I was lucky to find the 3 or 4 that I did here. If you do get to find some on the shelf, you'll be lucky to get just one as it seems each WM only gets ONE case to put on the shelf.
I'm HOPING smalljoes.com will get these figures!!!

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:37 am

Going to try another wally tonight so I'll just keep my fingers crossed... Wish me luck :D