The way to make your M16 Halftrack more useable...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

The way to make your M16 Halftrack more useable...

Post by krieglok » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:12 pm

I did a quick and dirty mod (unfinished as of yet) to my new M16. Taking a cue from the FOV M16 and a page from the War Dept Manual of Standard Military Vehicles, I did some cutting with an exaxto and razor saw. I cut out the notches in the side and back to achieve the ability to traverse the gun mount while the gun is pointed up. The real M16 also had hinges on the panels so the guns could be depressed an used on ground targets, as well as a solid back panel with no door. As for now, I will just scribe the seam and make fake hinges, as the cut outs allow the freedom of gun movement I desire...

TJ

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

xd

Post by kevrut » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:24 pm

Wow! That's a cool idea.
I just picked up one yesterday, I'll look into that.
Kevin.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:29 pm

Krieglock:

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but the 21C M-16, is suposed to represent a M-3 which has been converted to a M-16, and the drop down sides weren't present in the M-3.

We told 21C for a long time that they can give us more vehicles by taking existing 21C models and make correct changes like this converted M-3. Somebody listened and we have this M-16 and the changes to the Sdkfz 251.

21C did not make the turret base high enough to rotate correctly. Your modification sure won't be the first of us to cut into the sides, and your mod looks great but 21C is correct with the way the model was made.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:43 pm

That looks awesome! Maybe someone can put up a pattern to make cutting easier? Like print it out and stick it on the side of the M16. I have a razor saw but I think I'd be too chicken to do into it blind.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 pm

I just took a quick flip through the war dept book and I couldnt find any reference to the M3 converted to M16. There is an M13, M14, both being dual .50 mounts with the non cut out sides and the M16 and M17 being the quad .50 mounts with the cut out sides. I am sure the documentation exists for a field expedient conversion though. I really dont need to see it to believe it exists.

The references I found to quad .50 shows cut out sides and the dual .50s have the solid sides. That is the data I collected in a quick fashion to do the mod, rather than do a full length research and conversion to a historically correct model. It worked for me.

My goal was and is, to make a generally correct toy that works is as far as the guns turning and elevating with out binding on the tub sides, thats all. 21st is my lump of clay and I finish the sculpting. I dont think 21st will be insulted. If it isnt your cup of tea, that`s cool with me.

TJ
Last edited by krieglok on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:50 pm

Rowsdower wrote:That looks awesome! Maybe someone can put up a pattern to make cutting easier? Like print it out and stick it on the side of the M16. I have a razor saw but I think I'd be too chicken to do into it blind.
Take a pencil and rotate the guns and see where they will bind. I marked the spots and then added just a little extra. The side cuts were made between the 3rd and 4th rivit from the rear to the point between the 6th and 7th rivit from the front, resulting in a cut about 1 5/8ths inches long. All the cuts are at slightly less than a 45 degree angle. The back door has about 3/8ths off the top edge. The cut out extends another 3/16ths from the opening edges, leaving 4 rivits showing on each side. Hope this helps.

TJ

MG-42

M16 mod.

Post by MG-42 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:01 pm

>>> It's about time somebody already thought about doing this. ..... Nice job krieglok ! .. :wink: + 8)
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:19 pm

krieglok wrote:Take a pencil and rotate the guns and see where they will bind. I marked the spots and then added just a little extra. The side cuts were made between the 3rd and 4th rivit from the rear to the point between the 6th and 7th rivit from the front, resulting in a cut about 1 5/8ths inches long. All the cuts are at slightly less than a 45 degree angle. The back door has about 3/8ths off the top edge. The cut out extends another 3/16ths from the opening edges, leaving 4 rivits showing on each side. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that should do nicely! 8)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:43 pm

Plz see description of the photo of a M-16A1, which was the converted M-3's. Side armor has been removed to show height of turret base to fire over the fixed sides.

TTT

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:37 am

Dont worry, I believed you. I like the modification I did rather than raise the platform, more though. Perhaps on the next one I buy, I will do the conversion to reflect the above photo so the guns will work as they should instead of jamming in the tub like on the 21st model..

TJ

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:35 am

Here are some shots I took of the M16 hybrid I just modified. Enjoy...

TJ

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:39 am

And a couple more...I made the fake hinges using the scrap from the portions I cut off the half track. It didnt dawn on me until I started the other side that I could use the portions with the rivit heads. I filed a seam across the face of them to give them a little more detail. I scribed the seam where the upper plates would hinge at using a knife. A little weathering and there you go...

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:04 pm

That's some nice work!
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:14 pm

Holy cow thats sweet! The raised pedestal lookes like it would work nicely as well. I think Ill wait to see what else you guys come up with before I start on mine.

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:21 pm

Great job! :P

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Krieglok:

Excellent work, your mod looks great.

To all:

Anybody going to tryto make the "bat wing armor shields" as shown in my pic?
I think those armorshields just looks great.

TTT

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:12 am

Thanks for the kind words. I will try the bat wings when I do the rework for the version in the photo above. They look pretty straight forward, being basically flat. They will just take time to file and fit to the contour of the existing armour "breast plate" already on the quads.

TJ

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:08 am

Very very cool.. The faux seam and hinges add a huge level of detail. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:12 pm

My father(he just turned 77) decided to modify his M16. He cut out the side panels, put the notches in and glued them in the down position. He removed the side and back storage racks. and filled in the the back door. He built the two boxes that are fitted on the rear plate. He also cut the mount down so the gun sits lower. He is
also rebuilding some of the finer details on the gun's aiming and firing systems. He did his advanced training on M16's during Korea but went to Okinawa and served on the ground mounted Quad 50. He still has the TM for the quad 50 that includes a section on the M16.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:51 am

grockw...:

Can you share pics? Sounds great.

TTT

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:41 pm

Yes, post shots if you can. Has anybody sacraficed the legs from one of their old figures to get him into the gunner seat? I managed, breaking the sight off in the process. It went back on easily though. I picked up another M16 and I am in the progress of adding to the gun base to get the other version with the higher sitting quad. So far, I found that a plastic can top from a PAM spray cooking oil can is about the right diameter. I cut it down and notched it and the gun sits just right. I will try to finish by this weekend...

TJ

MK
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MK » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:47 pm

krieglok wrote:Has anybody sacraficed the legs from one of their old figures to get him into the gunner seat? I managed, breaking the sight off in the process. It went back on easily though.
I used the series 1 sherman driver since he is skinny enough to slide right in. I popped his legs off at the knees and he fits great. I too broke off the site, but it wasn't broken itself. I just had to pop in back in with some glue. Has anyone been more successful with the larger figures to get them to sit, but not hover in the gunner chair?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:04 pm

I was able to get the body of a BoB tanker figure (with a different head) to fit in the turret seat quite well. The head was the one that came with an XD US Paratrooper that could move up and down.

Image Image

I had to remove the lower legs, which on that type of figure popped off quite easily. It was a very tight squeeze!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:33 pm

I used an first series infantry man. He should nestle down more, but that is good as it gets for now.

The second M16 I bought from WM, was damaged pretty good. The shipping pins were actually sheared off and the one set of road bogies was snapped off. The rubber bands were the only thing keeping it from rolling around in the box. It went back together with some Testors glue and a couple small Kadee screws. They either dropped the container or punted the box around before it ended up on the shelf at WM...Luckily, the quads were perfect and straight.

TJ

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:21 pm

I was planning to take pictures this last weekend. When I got home, Dad had the gun mount out and had the front shield off doing something with the foot pedals. When he is completely satisfdied with everything, I will take some pictures. He iusually builds 1/35h scale models, but this is the most excited about a project he has been for awhile.