M35 Deuce and a half - what do you think?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:27 pm

Unfortunately, when it comes to really big trucks like one of the 7 or 10 ton Prine Movers or cargo trucks, the most valuable thing on the truck is the winch. Tow companies use them, work boats and tugs use them. The bigger the winch the better.

As for duece & a half's the axles are in demand for monster trucks, or even just really big mudders.

It's a shame to send an almost brand new truck to the salvage yard to be scrapped, just to get the axles. One thing I've learned in the 1/1 MV hobby - you just can't save them all. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:51 pm

As someone who has turned over the titles to 7 Fieros to the scrap yard and kept 2 over the years, I know the feeling of "can't save them all". On the other hand, there is a certain comfort in knowing that pretty much whatever breaks, you have a spare... Special thanks to the inventor of the acetylene wrench!
The problem with this monster tank retriever my dad had was that it was also tracked, which didn't make it any more practical or asphalt friendly. Although I could have probably made a killing on the interstates during blizzards, if I didn't freeze to death getting there...
It does seem a pity to commit a deuce to the boneyard, but considering some of the examples I have seen for sale on e-bay and locally, that is the most merciful thing to do. Although your point about historical plates gives me hope that the idea of parking one in the barn for occasional use may be more viable than I expected after all.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:25 am

All this talk about a duece makes me want to go out and buy one. It be prety cool to show up on weekend drills at the NG armoury in my privately owned M35 :lol: But it would be nice to see a 1/18th Vietnam era gun truck to go with the vietnam figures 21stC put out a few years ago.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:00 am

Fiero...:

We talking about this????:

or something bigger?
Now that is some serious hauling. In 1/18? alomg with a 155mm or 8in howitzer?, hell I've seen them hauling cargo in big flat bed trailers.

Be still thy heart.

and Luftp....:
How about the gun truck that was in North Jersey, the last time I saw you.

Come on guys, we just gotta have this kind of stuff :wink:

TTT

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

TRUCKS!!

Post by Panther F » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 am

I think it's time for an M35 or even the Opel Blitz in 1/18th. There just aren't enough trucks to go with all that armor that's has been produced!

Look at 1/32 scale and you'll know what I mean!

Jeff

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:21 pm

TTT, that Tractor is beautifull!
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:09 pm

That is a beautiful tractor!

I just came across this modelling and armor site.
http://tanxheaven.com/
It has a really nice reference photo section that may interest some of you. The model gallery is interesting too.

They have some pics of another tractor, the M6 High Speed tractor.
http://tanxheaven.com/m6-38t/m6-38t.htm
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 pm

Well, I did a little digging (also known as talking to my dad), and it was an M6 38-ton towing tractor. Now here's the part that makes me sick: while the vehicle itself might not have been practical to hang on (especially in the burbs like they are--nobody in farm country like me would care, except the hassle of mowing around it), he also had all the operation and service manuals for it, in nice condition no less. Unfortunately, THOSE got pitched when my mom went on a house cleaning rampage when they moved... oh well... hindsight is 20/20 they say.
Verraten und verkauft,
Verraten und verkauft,
H.R.K 1993

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Fiero...:

Wow, your Dad had the monster of High Speed Tractors. I think the cab sat 11 guys and rear compartments for shells, alot of shells.

Hind sight is wonderfull......about 100 years ago, when I was single and living in Los Angeles I found a M-16 White half-track on a used truck lot. It ran sweet and the price was $1,100. Wow...I lept saying to myself......you are living in a three room apartment and you are 3,000 miles away from home. is this a practical purchase???? Unfortunately I listened to myself and passed on the deal. :roll:

TTT

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:37 pm

TTT: I did the same thing in 1995 with an 1969 Corvette convertible in great shape, priced at $4200.
I do remember looking at that beast my dad had, at the impressionable age of 9, and thinking "wow! wouldn't this be cool to ride in!" These days, I get my kicks with an International 933 and a 1948 Ford 8N Bombardier. Oh well...
Verraten und verkauft,
Verraten und verkauft,
H.R.K 1993