BBI AND 21ST MUSTANGS- AGAIN

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI AND 21ST MUSTANGS- AGAIN

Post by mikeg » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:02 pm

I opted to move and rehang my stangs in the basement tonight; noticing once again the differences in quality/construction between the two- this is only my opinion, but being that, I believe it to be infallible, of course.

While I was handling both, the canopy fell off the Ridge Runner more than once, the lower gear covers' tabs do not protrude enough to hold it to the wing, the ailerons and flaps seem to be prone to break before reaching an appropriate position, the lower radiator cover does not move nearly enough- Sure, the gear rake looks great! but damn....oh, and of course the prop is bent quite nicely!!

The BBi- well, the gear rake is not quite right, but gee, let me see---and the rivets dont look that bad either. I'll leave for space for BBI, thank you very much

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:22 pm

I was recently revisiting this issue as well. I think both planes are nice models, but what bothers me about the 21c P-51 (not withstanding the bent props) is the fragility of it. The BBI plane seems to accomplish pretty much the same visual effect with the added plus of being a bit sturdier. Both planes, however, have their good and bad points, which almost seem to cancel each other out as far as which is best. I like them both!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:34 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I was recently revisiting this issue as well. I think both planes are nice models, but what bothers me about the 21c P-51 (not withstanding the bent props) is the fragility of it. The BBI plane seems to accomplish pretty much the same visual effect with the added plus of being a bit sturdier. Both planes, however, have their good and bad points, which almost seem to cancel each other out as far as which is best. I like them both!

I also have the ridge runner and have noticed the said above comments about it,
I also was thinking about getting the Bbi stang but I would like to know first is there any way to fix the rake of the landing gear?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:08 am

BBI has always floored me with their durability inherent with their products. When I first opened my jolly roger hornet I was very happy to know that with a great size and detail, it was still a monsterous beast that could take damage. The P-51 is plenty durable as well. Though the fragility of 21st's offerings in comparison is dissapointing, they still are a lot more durable than model kits, and they are nowhere near as fragile.

It wouldn't hurt for 21st's toys to be more durable, though I do realize they are mainly aiming for accuracy over build quality, while BBI might be going for a balance of both.

Either way I'd still feel better if 21st's products were as durable as BBI's.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

P-51 21st vs BBI

Post by wolf8564 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:02 am

I have a theory about the 21st century P-51. I have noticed that the
FW-190 has all the same shabby characteristics as the P-51. But not all 21st are the same way. Take the Mig for instance its pretty Beefy not as beefy as the BBi F-18 but still Beefy. I think that when 21st has these made that there must be one factory that bids the lowest to make these two aircraft and there tolerances must be much smaller when manufacturing them. I bet that if someone were to check that they would find out that the same factory that made the P-51 made the FW-190.
Whatever the case in my opinion they are both made very shabby.
If I had my receipt I would Take the 21st P-51 back to the store. Very Disappointing.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 pm

There seem to be pros and cons to each, I am happy they produced these and hopefully we will see increases in detail and quality as time goes on.
Todd

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:31 pm

Oh boy. This could be a very sticky subject gents. I will admit the BBI P-51 is more hardy and robust and is not prone to breaking. I to have had difficutly with the 21st Mustang canapy falling off easily and the flaps due have a tendency to break if handled wrong. I also think BBI's Mustang cockpit is far superior to 21st's. Other then that boys I think the 21st Mustang and the BBI Mustang complements each other very well. Each has their faults and are not perfect. I would have a hard time in which one to select if I had a choice because they are both good representations of the P-51, a bird that I love to death. Now if you were to ask me which is better, the BBI Corsair or the 21st Corsair? It would be BBI hands down.

Theres a few other details 21st forgot to put on their Mustang such as the nav lights underneith the right wing, grey landing gear tires (I cant see how they did that) and the bent props, which I hear will be fixed with upcoming re-releases. Simple errors that I'm sure will be corrected in time. It amazes me how as more and more people buy the 21st Mustang they say that the BBI version is the better of the two. I never thought I'd see that. Unreal.

As far as fixing the landing gear rake on the BBI P-51? You cant fix it. Not that I know of anyway. Ask 'yoxford" he may have an idea. :wink: (Thats for you yoxford by the way)

Anyway that being said both are nice with one just a tad better and I'll keep that veiw to myself.

:wink:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

gary1930
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gary1930 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:42 pm

MightyMustang wrote: Now if you were to ask me which is better, the BBI Corsair or the 21st Corsair? It would be BBI hands down.
Where can I get one? I only see the 21st Corsair for sale. thanks.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:49 pm

gary1930 wrote:
MightyMustang wrote: Now if you were to ask me which is better, the BBI Corsair or the 21st Corsair? It would be BBI hands down.
Where can I get one? I only see the 21st Corsair for sale. thanks.

Hey gary,

You can buy a BBI Corsair at Toys Are Us or your local Walmart if your lucky, to find them at Walmart that is. Marines Dream? I've only saw those being sold by on-line retailers. The ones that are at my local Toys Are Us are the new re-paint version BBI put out of their Corsair. Check on-line retailers on the web and that might help you find Marines Dream. But if the paint scheme dont matter check Walmart or Toys Are Us.

:)

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:32 am

Since this is a P51 thread, I just received a Historic Aviation catalog and they are having an exclusive 332nd P51. I hadn't heard of it so may be a few others out there who find this interesting.

This should be the correct link but just in case product code 99236D.

https://www.historicaviation.com/histor ... 20Fighters

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:26 am

I also noted that in the same catalogue :wink: That catalogue is funny as they have a bunch of 21c and BBI items. They don't mention the company, but learned collectors (like the many of us around here) can easily can tell. My only concern with the catalogue is that some items they cannot yet have in stock, like the Flight 19 Avengers, yet they are listed...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:17 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I also noted that in the same catalogue :wink: That catalogue is funny as they have a bunch of 21c and BBI items. They don't mention the company, but learned collectors (like the many of us around here) can easily can tell. My only concern with the catalogue is that some items they cannot yet have in stock, like the Flight 19 Avengers, yet they are listed...

The new Mustang they are talking about is not avalible either. I just called them. They say its coming soon. Why even list the darn thing if they dont have it? God its confusing and stupid at the same time.

:?

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:37 pm

If I am not mistaken, the Tuskegee Mustang is also listed on the Military Toy Shop website. This one is a pre-order item coming in the near future.

zmifinakjq

Post by zmifinakjq » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:42 pm

I picked up my first 21st Mustang recently, "The Flying Undertaker". I haven't noticed its supposed fragility. I have BBi's "Killer!", and frankly prefer the look of 21st's steed. Kudos to 21st for making a Pacific theater Mustang. Pleased with the purchase. Will get "Petie 2nd" soon.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:28 am

Congrats there, M McCracken, you sir, may have found the diamond in the rough there-
The several Flying Undertakers here still have the bent prop blades; amazingly obvious from afar to those of us who have this particular model. Oh, and by the way, be aware, I saw a Petie 2nd for sale at a recent airshow and it had the bent prop also.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:27 am

M McCracken wrote:I picked up my first 21st Mustang recently, "The Flying Undertaker". I haven't noticed its supposed fragility. I have BBi's "Killer!", and frankly prefer the look of 21st's steed. Kudos to 21st for making a Pacific theater Mustang. Pleased with the purchase. Will get "Petie 2nd" soon.

Congrats McCracken. Great choice and although 21st's new tool Mustangs may have "bent" prop blades they are fixable. My favorite of the 21st's Mustangs so far is "Petie The 2nd". That is until I get the Victory Mustang.

:)