A question on buildings and their scales

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

A question on buildings and their scales

Post by bird » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:44 pm

Not sure if this goes here or not, if not pls move and forgive.
I've been looking at buying some buildings for sometime for my ETo figs and making a diorama (which would be my first)
So far I've looked into playmobil and found that it'd take too much work for me to get it right.
I've seen mentioned in a couple of threads that 1:16 scale railway buildings seem to do the job. Is this scale N scale.

This leads to a few more questions that i hope you can answer
- what is the best scale to go with my 21C figs
- what brands are good
- what are the names of these scales
- any online store reccomendations
- besides railway buildings what is another good source of buildings and structures, brands, companies, scales, any idea's I haven't considered

any help would be appreciated 8)

tankduel
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by tankduel » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:53 pm

Bird, first things to get are the 21st Century farmhouse and hayloft . :D

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:57 pm

After you pick those up, take a look at some of the Pola and Piko G Scale buildings. Just about any G Scale buildings will be close enough to work.

Here's an example:

G Scale is actually 1/22.5. I'm not aware of a standard model railroad scale that is bigger.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Pola buildings are the best. I have a waterwheel building that looks great with the German soldiers! Some boardmembers have also had luck with Playmobil buildings. They make a Victorian era dollhouse and some older German style buildings. In my opinion, they are a little on the small side and look a tad bit toyish, but they can be obtained easily!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:57 pm

Few items:

- N scale is 1/160 - way too small.
- "G Scale" refers to track, not scale. "G scale" trains and equipment can vary anywhere from 1:20.3 scale to 1:32 scale.
- Piko and Pola buildings are made to go with LGB equipment, which is 1:22.5 scale. Alot of board members have had good luck with these.
- Playmobil works well, but will need some paint and replacing/living with clunky parts for some detail items.
- I haven't found any sources for buildings, but a better source would be any models made for British 16mm (1:19 scale) trains.
- Take a look around a train store for buildings. I think Aristocraft makes some as well, but they never are clear on scale. take a 1/18 scale friend for input/sizing.
- There are several small manufactures of 1:20.3 buildings for trains. They are general western US look, and very expensive.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:06 pm

Here's the web site of one garden railways magazine I get

http://www.trains.com/grw/

Look around. You should be able to find some building construction ariticles, and some vendors with buildings. Being in Australia, I would recommend trying to contact a garden railroad club. They may be able to point to in the direction of good overseas suppliers. Case in point - outside of England, very few people have any information on 16mm modeling and suppliers.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

mrkisskissbangbang
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mrkisskissbangbang » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:39 am

I have a few G-Scale Piko/Pola/LGB and Aristocraft Buildings along with the 21st Century structures. I occasionally cruise the second hand stores looking for other suitable buildings. They are out there at very reasonable prices (cheap). But these buildings require painting weathering and texturing. Look for the Ghostbusters Firehouse, Arnold's schoolhouse, Spawn playset....etc
I also like the buildings from Playmobil. But they also require a bit of work to make them look more realistic.

One thing to consider about the G-scale structures is that they are expensive if you purchasing brand new. As mentioned, make sure to get the 1:22.5 scale as it is the closest thing to 1:18.

If you need some G-scale walls and culverts, Columbia Junction makes some neat stuff. I hope they start making bridges in 1:18 scale too.

Can't forget about the Build-a-rama building ruins.
Cheers
Last edited by mrkisskissbangbang on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:37 am

Here's a good site for 16mm stuff. Lots of links to 1:19 scale accesories, figures, etc.

http://www.16mm.org.uk/index.htm

But I did find these few buildings. Might be useful for ETO diorammas.

http://www.modeltown.co.uk/link.html
http://www.cptees.co.uk/handcrafted_pottery/index.html

And since they are for 16mm, they should be closer in scale to 1:18 figures that the LGB,etc stuff.

bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bird » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:43 pm

thanks guys i appreciate the advice