How Rare is Rare

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

How Rare is Rare

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:14 am

Hi all, I have the oppurtinity purchase a S1 weathered Kepford corsair, but it is a little more than I want to spend. I really like the model and have wanted one ever since I saw it on the 21st website. What I want to know is just how rare are these models? Do they show up on ebay very often? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Cam
I fly cartoon airplanes

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:31 am

Hi!
It the plane in the box?
There is a problem with this plane and it wing hinges.
If it's a loose plane, I would question the seller on the wing hinges.

Boxed it should be okay. Just when you try to fold up the wings you have to be careful.

Rarity? These were plentiful awhile back, but I haven't seen them as much.

Grunt1-
You should look at adding this kind of info to your database.
Rarity
History of the real aircraft/tank/etc.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:18 am

The first Kepford release is rare because 21st re-did it awhile back with better paint chipping and the like.

I think you can call planes that are made rare when they are special runs for companies like Bad Cat. For instance BBI did two P-51 paint schemes for them, Hurry Home Honey and Cripes A Mighty The 2nd. Now those are rare because they were done only for Bad Cat and Bad Cat only. Petie The 2nd the new tool Mustang from 21st is rare because they werent distributed to retailers like Wally Mart and so fourth. 21st is also doing the V For Victory Mustang for us Aces who participated in their contest, now that will be extremely rare for sure because only so many will be made. (I'm still waiting for mine :cry: ). You can consider an aircraft rare when it has a very limited production run or they just sell out and the company that makes them dont produce anymore which I dont think will be the case with the Kepford Corsair but who knows?

8)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

digger

rare

Post by digger » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:23 am

BBI did two P-51 paint schemes for them, Hurry Home Honey and Cripes A Mighty The 2nd. Now those are rare because they were done only for Bad Cat and Bad Cat only.
That's not always so. The HHH Mustang that you say is "rare" is for sale as an overstock item right now at $35. :roll: Not too "rare."

On the other hand SP P-38s were all over TRU but are now pretty rare. It has to do with time, popularity, # produced and a lot more than just if the item was an exclusive. Of course that doesn't hurt - try picking up a Shark P-38 anytime soon. :wink:

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:28 am

just make sure it doesn't have the ultra rare limited edition "silver fingerprint" camo :lol:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:47 am

Really, ALL of these airplanes are "rare". You will only see 2500 or so of each paint scheme for the most part, compared to 5000+ for smaller scales. Eventually, all of the planes will become rare birds as they are bought up. So, when you see a plane that is loading the shelves, remember that they are a one-time shot, and eventually, you will never see them again. It puts a perspective on things......

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

digger

well

Post by digger » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:20 am

I agree for the most part Ski but let's not forget the re-issue of the Winter Stuka or Putt Putt that took a plane from a $200 collector's item to a readily available piece of retail stock. BBI planes especially are prone to multiple runs such as the Killer Mustang, Golden Dragons F-18, etc...

To this day if you want a White 12 109 it is one of the cheapest versions around. That's why I always say collect these for fun and not for investment.... :wink:

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:35 am

Yeah, but now add 20-30 years holding that in mint condition. Time will tell what items will rate "rare" status. Just don't believe ebay sellers when they tout rare and hard to find.

Dave

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:36 am

I bet alot of the planes will be made again when 21st comes out with there Legends Series
Kurt

Lefty
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lefty » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:34 am

I'd say 1 of 200 or 250 is pretty rare! :wink:

And boy does she look great opened! :shock: 8)

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I passed on the S1 Kepford corsair because it was more than I was willing to spend.

Just so you all know I don't collect these planes as an "investment" but because I really like the old warbirds. They end up hanging from the ceiling in my computer room, so that hurts the collectors value right there.

BTW I purchased both HHH and CaM from Badcat and I'm glad I did, and not because they would become worth big bucks but because I think they are neat aircraft with historical significance.

And Lefty that is one sweet stang you have there I am truely jeolous.

Cam
I fly cartoon airplanes

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:05 am

Lefty,

Your Mustang is a beauty and a rare one at that! Dont ever get rid of it.

For Digger,

Ya Bad Cat is overstocked on HHH and Cripes but once they are gone they are gone because they are one time runs for Bad Cat and thats it.

I like the some of you dont look at my planes for the value side I look at them as historical peices that represent a time when the world was at war and freedom was worth fighting for. They honor the pilots who fought and died for what they believed in. So value means nothing to me its what they represent that does.

:)
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

digger

!

Post by digger » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:25 am

Ya Bad Cat is overstocked on HHH and Cripes but once they are gone they are gone because they are one time runs for Bad Cat and thats it.
You are very right - Cripes is already gone!

tracer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tracer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:10 am

Lefty wrote:I'd say 1 of 200 or 250 is pretty rare! :wink:
I guess the 2 Motorworks Corsairs I have would qualify then too. Sure, the plane itself if the same production and the Navy version, but the packaging is what sets it apart. I believe they were only sold in 5 WalMarts nationwide.
Yes Dear, I know you said no more planes, But this one is special!