stuka wings removal

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

stuka wings removal

Post by nooker21 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:12 pm

I can't remember if someone mentioned this before, but what's the best and safest way to remove those wings? I recall how difficult it was to get them on in the first place, and I don't want to break anything when I pull them off...

Thanks,

Michael

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:22 pm

The best way, considering how they went on, would probably be to hold the fuselage in one hand and pull on the wing with the other and work the wing off by pulling it back and forth. I would recommend removing the landing gear strut, bombs and the airbrake and try gripping the front of the wing when pulling so as not to damage the flaps. Good luck!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh man, don’t do it unless you absolutely have to. My S1 Stuka started to come apart when I tried. I left it be. That’s one plane that doesn’t want to go back in the box.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Ok, I'll bite. Is that a common practice; to take the plane apart and put it back in the box for storage until the next time?

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:55 pm

I’m not sure what nooker21’s reasons are but I tend to rotate my collection from time to time. I have a small space to display. After a year or two and some new releases I get board of the old and want something new. That Stuka is just real hard to dismantle. I have a few other Stukas as well but there all staying in there boxes until I get a larger place to display them all.

Sentinel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sentinel » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:25 pm

It's been a few years, but I did dismantle one to send to my brother.

First, it really helps to have another un-assembled Stuka to see exactly where the wing's locking tabs actually engage the body (or vice-versa). By knowing these spots, I gently eased the wing away from the body to create a thin working space. I inserted a thin, blunt knife in the slot to push down on those various locking tabs to free them up.

To my was of thnking, this was a much more desireable method than just forcing the plastic pieces apart - possibly with some bad results.

It wasn't exactly an easy job, as some tabs re-engaged while I was working on others, but overall it eventually worked out perfectly and allowed an equally perfect re-assembly job by it's new owner.

HTH :)

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Would someone be so kind as to post or send me a picture of unassembled wing root for the stuka so i could see those tabs? I'm going to need to ship mine and I don't want to break it before I get it in the box. I don't think I'm even going to try and take both wings off, but if I can get one off that would be a much smaller package to ship...

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:18 pm

Here you go..

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

lsc1002
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by lsc1002 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:01 pm

I just recently removed the wings from my winter stuka using a painting edger. The tool is about 12 inches long with a thin metal blade. I simply slid the blade between the wing and the fuselage pushing down and out at the time, the wing popped right with no fuss. It did not leave a single mark on the wing, fuselage, or the tabs that connect the two. I have used other tools in the past but they all left marks on the plane. I will post pictures of the tool when I get the chance.
"Tigers!?.....Where did the Tigers come from!?!"

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 pm

I have never tired to take apart a Stuka. Based on the photos and the post I don't think I will even try!

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 am

thanks grunt, for the pics. I'll be delicate and hope this whole thing works out without any hangups...