Scale delima

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
bigsarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Scale delima

Post by bigsarge » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:27 pm

How bout some help here guys.I have so much stuff but I am not sure which scale I like the most.1/18th deffinately has the most available with reasonable prices.1/6th seems to be more durable but its expensive to replace.1/32 is a little cheaper but the detail to me is better with the 1/18th and 1/6th.I am trying to decide which scale to stay with.I can pick two scales to keep and the other I will trade or sell on here or ebay.Just wanted some feedback from the forum.Thanks....Bigsarge
positive trade and sale references:
DerVogelfänger,USCGSARdog,KAMIKAZE,parrish333,KWR190,Hworth18,caesarbc,Black Lion VF-213

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:46 pm

No contest, it has to be 1/18, this scale is almost unique to 21st, with no real competition. You have a scale with boundaries which means that there is a good chance you could collect every item 21st has, with extreme detail over the smaller scales & easier to display & store than the larger scales. Besides which we need every trooper pushing for 1/18 to encourage 21st to produce further exciting offerings. Do you feel the pressure?

bigsarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigsarge » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:05 am

No,no pressure but I am trying to decide whether to give up the 1/6th or 1/32 scale.Thanks for the feedback.Anyone else wanna chime in?
DerVogelfänger,USCGSARdog,KAMIKAZE,parrish333,KWR190,Hworth18,caesarbc,Black Lion VF-213

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:56 am

If you've got the space and money, I'd stay with 1/6. Although if your a scale hound - 1/32 is great because you can also mix and match 1/35 scale armour into the mix and have a very broad collection
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:16 am

I have the same dilemma! Lotsa 1/6, 1/18, and some 1/32. My breakdown and logic, if any, is to hide most of it from my wife first!
Although the 1/32 stuff is cheaper and there is alot of accessory and diorama items available on the market the figures do not "pose!" As you age, like me, it is harder to customize these small items. On the other extreme the 1/6 items are very easy to customize, pose, good availability, takes more space, and pose great! I can even SEE :shock: the detail!

Now, that brings me to 1/18. I can see what I am doing, I can see the detail, It doesn't take as much material to customize the vehicles, etc. Availability and price are good. And back to my first concern, it easy enough to hide from my spouse. And when she asks, I tell her I bought it for our son!

It really comes down to your own personal situation! :o
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:57 am

I'm a Star Wars fan and not so much a fan of military toylines. When I felt in love with the XD line, I think I liked it so much because the scale is just perfect and it is (almost) the same scale as my Star Wars figures. I never started collecting 1/6 or 1/32. The figures for 32x aren't poseable (which I don't like) and the 1/6 figures are cool, but much to big and expensive for me. So it ain't easy to decide which scale you should keep. I would think about which scale is my favorite one, how many space for toys do I have and which scale will see the most releases in the future.
I'm glad I don't have to make this hard decission, because I've only collected XD so far.
Last edited by MandaloreSC on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:57 am

Sorry, double posting.

billgiff
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by billgiff » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:26 am

I started in 1/6 in the mid 90's with vintage G.I. Joes, then The Ultimate Soldier, then Dragon, well you get the picture! 1/6 definatley has the best selection and there are a lot of custom pieces to have. $1000.00 on a Tiger I is a little steep for me and it's HUGE!!!!! That's why I sold 90% of my 1/6 and moved to 1/18. Again the stuff is cool and it's more practical for space. You can cram 10-20 1/18 tanks in the same amount of space as a 1/6 tank. :D Of course 1/32 is the biggest space saver! I'm an avid 1/35 scale model builder so I never fell for the 1/32 stuff. I guess it's all the close but not close enough effect. Just like 1/16 and 1/18. After all this babbling, I say stick to 1/18, it's a in-between scale with alot of detail and cool action figures!!!!!!!

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:45 am

Go with 1/32!!!!!
Tons of new stuff out (and coming out) that will probably NEVER be available in 1/18-1/6 and think of all the room you'll have to display it all.... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:59 am

For me 1/18 first and 1/6 a strong second, with 1/32 a distant third..

I will continue to buy every 21C vehicle that is released in 1/18. I'll pick up some 1/32 when 21C makes something I really like, not in 1/18 (like the M-24 Chaffee and the 88mm gun and 7 ton half-track).

I don't care for 1/18 figures, too toy like with the joints shown. With 1/6 figures you can hide the joints (for the most part) and kitbashing is another field alltogether. You can go expensive or inexpensive, whatever floats your boat, with all the different manufacturers making uniforms, equipment and weapons you can kitbash really nice stuff. Run out of money while not finished with a figure? Just put it on the shelf until you have some more disposable money.

1/6 vehicles are great with the number and quality of stuff that is out there. There is even a "population" of guys that will build whatever you want, if you have the bucks to spend, and of course the room to display your toys.

For my money, 21C makes the greatest 1/6 vehicles. Scale is a little off on some pieces, but the sturdy construction and super prices more than make up for it. There are better vehicles around, more detailed and 100% true to scale but you can pay almost $1,000 for an accurate CCKW, up to around $10,000 for a metal RC Tiger or more for a metal RC 7 ton half-track and 88mm. If Tigers are your game, you can get a realy nice FOA Tiger for $650 to $800. A sturdy, accurate model.

I don't have any of the expensive models, I drool over, but I have about 40 1/6 vehicles, everything from bikes up to tanks. Some were very reasonable in price (thanks to eBay and board members who have found stuff for me). I also have a small collection (less than 60) of 1/6 figures. Not a big collection by any means. Some of these 1/6 guys have hundreds of 1/6 figures and dozens of the big vehicles. To each their own. I have more than I can handle, I have a whole area of unfinished vehicles, just waiting for me to find the time to make them look good, but every time I think I will get a break, something new pops up and just screams "TTT, buy me, buy me". They really do....I try my best to help my little toys and dollies find ahome with me.. :roll:

Room for 1/6? Sure they take room. I have my toys and vehicles everywhere from my enclosed front porch and living room, and dining room to my bunker. Does Mrs. TTT complain? Only when she sees another big box delivered and she rolls her eyes and says "Where are you going to put this one?" A little advance planning comes to the rescue. A this moment, I'm waiting for another Sherman tank, that popped up at a price I couldn't pass up. I already have one not finished but this Sherman will become a Ruskie Lend Lease Sherman....somewhere.
Gotta enlarge my bunker.......or find a bigger house. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

1:18 all the way!! I dropped all other scales altogether when it started to get really out of hand. 1:18 is my passion....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Go 1/18th! Its the only way to go.

:wink:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

bigsarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigsarge » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:49 pm

WOW!!!!!You guys are great.OK so if I go 1/18,who might be intrested in some trading or buying of 1/32 planes and some 1/6th vehicles and figures????

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Best bet for the 1/32 stuff would be to post a list of what you have (makes sure to state whether it's new in unopened box or loose) on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. A lot of us have extra items in one scale and a want list in another scale.

This is what many people have done when they realized they ran out of space or interest in a particular scale.

As for 1/6th, it probably makes sense to post that list on one of the dedicated 1/6th forums (no harm posting it here too) because that would probably attract much more interest.

I'm not a 1/6th'er so one of those guys would need to suggest the best site for that.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:38 pm

I love the XD it is my fav. I have some 1/6 stuff because people gave it to me. And, I have the 32x planes in my classroom. I am getting too lazy and too busy to make 1/48 models anymore. I love I can just go buy a cool 1/32 model ready to hang from the classroom ceiling and strafe the student body. Oh well. I guess I am just a nut who loves toys.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:48 pm

MandaloreSC wrote:I'm a Star Wars fan and not so much a fan of military toylines. When I felt in love with the XD line, I think I liked it so much because the scale is just perfect and it is (almost) the same scale as my Star Wars figures. I never started collecting 1/6 or 1/32. The figures for 32x aren't poseable (which I don't like) and the 1/6 figures are cool, but much to big and expensive for me. So it ain't easy to decide which scale you should keep. I would think about which scale is my favorite one, how many space for toys do I have and which scale will see the most releases in the future.
I'm glad I don't have to make this hard decission, because I've only collected XD so far.
I'm sort of reverse, my first toy collecting was diecast cars in 1/18 Maistos from KayBee, and then soon I released I was buying a lot of 1/18 cars to sort of replace my Matchbox cravings when I was a kid. Now 99% is 1/18 XD, and similar plus the diecast cars.

And when I saw a poster here had Starwars figures in his F-18, I realized all those SW figures and vehicles would "match" sizes, so I have been buying tons of SW stuff in the 4" sizes while awaiting for new XD,AT,BBI 1/18 pieces.

Love that TIE Bomber.

DH

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1:18 is a Nice Compromise

Post by parrish333 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:09 pm

For me this question comes down to your priorities - is it figs or vehicles?

For many, figures are at the heart of any great line of toys. 1:6 obviously offers outstanding detail in this regard - removable uniforms, opening pouches or bags or holsters, uber-articulation, etc.

For others, it's all about the vehicles. Figures going in or around them is really a second priority. For these folks, 1/32 or smaller is great because you can assemble an army of tanks or a full squadron of planes. The detail is still pretty good at the vehicle level, and there's so much variety. Plus, if it's all about the vehicles, you gotta save space somehow! These people really don't mind that the figs in this scale have poor detail or no articulation.

And for so many of us, we just can't decide between the figs and vehicles! We want a halftrack, but we want it loaded up with detailed figs. 1:18 usually provides just about as perfect of a compromise as you can get between the two. Any smaller of a scale and the figs start to really lose articulation and detail. Any larger of a scale and the vehicles get prohibitively large in size and cost.

So I say if you find yourself caught between worlds, 1:18 is the way to go!

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Well put parrish, Kenner knew this decades ago and the formula just keeps on working. :-D
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:24 pm

bigsarge:

I've been very happy focusing on 1:18 and mixing in a limited selection of 1:32. Overall, I prefer 1:18 but there are items in 1:32 that we may never see in 1:18. 1:6 is great, but due to space limitations I've shied away from it. Not to sound like Goldielocks, but 1:32 is too small, 1:6 is too big, and 1:18 is just right. My 2 cents!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:01 pm

For me it’s 1/18th.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:03 pm

For me it’s 1/18th.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:07 am

Well for me I must admit I used to run both 1/18th & 1/6th together though space started to drastically disappear.
Then when we found we were expecting our 2nd child a few years back I decided then one scale & that HAD TO BE 1/18th scale.

I think with the detailing we see from BBI & XD,the Articulation we see from Microman,the Cloth uniforms & accessories we see from ScopeUK (just need to clone him & get a factory working on the clothes),1/18th truely is the Scale that Beats ALL others.

Add that 1/18th has the Biggest range of Aircraft,vehicles,weapons,accs to go with Articulated figures that truely Say`s it all IMHO.

Ja
Steel Bonnet

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:33 am

I broke my own rule just recently about focusing on 1:18 and some limited 1:32. Ordered 1 each of the 1:6 Roman Legionary and Greek Hoplite, Ignite brand figures from BadCat. Be interested to see what they're like when they get here. I'm a sucker for ancient warriors....

bigsarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigsarge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:31 am

I started selling off my 1/6th items.I think I will keep my figures as they seem harder to replace than the vehicles.Thanks for the input from everyone.If you are intrested in any particular 1/6th vehicle,let me know and I will see if I have it.....
Bigsarge

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm

1:18 all the way!!!!! 1:32 is growing however... I suspect this line is going to become more and more tempting as the bigger subjects become available. At some point a 1:32 scale bomber is going to become VERY hard to pass up. So my advise is to sell off 1/6th... sell it for big bucks and bankroll your expanding 1:18 and 1:32 collection.