Two of my favorite tanks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Two of my favorite tanks

Post by MandaloreSC » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:20 am

I'd like to show you two of my favorite tanks of all time. It's the german FLAK-Panzer Gepard and the famos Leopard II. Both are early versions. I'm sure you all know the Leopard 2, but I think this early version from the 80s looks even better than the modern variant.

It seems that the XD planes are much more succesful then the tanks. If XD tanks were very strong sellers, maybe there would be a line of the worlds most famos tanks. I think these two tanks would be a good choise for a line like this. The design of them is so cool and I try to imagine how they would look in 1:18 on my desk with some cool figures. But I believe something like this will never happen. There aren't so many guys like us around and XD could be more succesful. Also it seems that only tanks that have been involved in wars seem to be interesting to 21st Century toys. How do you like them? And would you want them in 1:18 on your desk?

Big Duke 6
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Big Duke 6 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Agreed !! :lol:

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:56 pm

Manda...:

Your Leopard might get poduced in 1/18 some day, but not much chance of your Flak-Panzer. If it was WW2, I'd give it a chance, as just a neat looking vehicle, but not much interest in German post war vehicles except among German collectors like yourself.

My 2 cents.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:37 pm

That Flakpanzer looks pretty cool, but I agree with TTT that we probably won't see it in 1:18 anytime soon. There is however, an old GI Joe vehicle that came out in 1989 that bears an uncanny resemblence to that Flakpanzer. The vehicle was called the Equalizer and was a very detailed tank for its time.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:16 pm

Tamiya makes a 1/16 Leapord II A6 remote control tank. But it isn't cheap. Around $900.00. Here is some info:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_ ... d_tank.htm

Here is Tamiya's 1/16 Geapard:

http://www.finescale.com/FSM/CS/forums/ ... wPost.aspx

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:56 pm

@Threetoughtrucks: I know. Well, it's what I said. The Gepard won't ever see production, because it wasn't involved in WW2. I think for the same reason the Leopard 2 won't ever see a XD version, too. But I believe it's not only german fans who would want them.

@tmanthegreat: I think I know this GI Joe tank. It's a pretty cool vehicle. Maybe it would be a cool part for a custom. Thanks for this idea!

@grockwood: Thanks for that links. Both are really great model kits. But I couldn't afford them and I don't collect 1/16. Over here, there are some pretty cheap R/C tanks in 1/16 available. Most of them look cool, but I don't collect stuff like that. I don't like it when I can't combine ground vehicles with some cool figures. But thanks again for those links, the pics are pretty cool.
[/quote]

SuRrEaLNJ
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SuRrEaLNJ » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 am

Id love to see a leopard in 1:18. Might make up for not bein able to afford the tamiya one.
[color=red][url=http://www.surrealnewjersey.com][size=200]SURREAL NJ[/size][/url] Historical, Abandoned and "Haunted" Locations. Based in NY/NJ
[/color]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:22 am

scratchbuilding is your best bet for subjects like those. By using paper models as a starting point it's a lot more feasible than you might think.

Most paper armour models are 1/25, you simply scale them up on a photocopier or computer and either build it and paint it or use the paper model as patterns for cutting out in plastic. Still a lot of work and ingenuity required but very doable if you want the models badly enough.

I've done a KV-2 that way and am half way through a Male Mk IV. After that i have about ten kits waiting in line to be built, including an M13/40, Matilda, Merkava, Japanese HaGo tank, Autoblinda AB41, ISU 152. Leopold railway gun, among others.

They're work to put together but very satisfying to have, when done.

http://www.papermodelstore.com/product_ ... cts_id=912
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:50 pm

I'm still waiting for 21st to make the Jagdpanther in 1/18th. Those modern tanks though would be nice in 1:18th. :D :D

MandaloreSC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MandaloreSC » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:47 am

immeww2 wrote:I'm still waiting for 21st to make the Jagdpanther in 1/18th. Those modern tanks though would be nice in 1:18th. :D :D
yeah - a Jagdpanther would be damn cool! There are so many cool WWII vehicles that 21st could make. A King Tiger, Jagdpanther, Kettenkrad or a Panzerspähwagen 222 would be my first choise.