P-39 Airacobra

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

P-39 Airacobra

Post by Airacobra » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:21 pm

I'm new to this forum but not to warbirds. I have built plastic models for about 25 years and I also build r/c aircraft. Within the last year or so I have started to collect 1/18 scale aircraft, but there is one problem that I have run into so far. It seems that nobody makes a 1/18 scale P-39 Airacobra. There are plenty of Mustangs, Corsairs, 109's and 190's but not very many of the lesser known aircraft. I know they are more recognizable aircraft, but it sure would be nice for those of us who really love Warbirds to have a broader selection of aircraft. Does anyone know if 21st or bbi plan to make a P-39, or P-63 anytime soon? There are a ton of paint schemes to choose from and it has a rich wartime history, well, at least the P-39 did. Since I'm asking, does anyone know if 21st or bbi has any plans for a KI-84, or KI-61, or F-6F, or KI-43? This list could go on for ever, but I think you know where I'm heading with this post. Any information would be great. I'm glad I found this site it is very helpful and interesting.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Welcome!

Post by Charlemagne » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:44 pm

First off welcome to the board, you will find a bunch of knowledgible, helpful, big kids on this site. Your question is one that has been asked many times by most of us at some point and time. The lesser known aircraft will probably be longer and fewer between getting produced in 1:18 scale. The reason is the cost of production and market demand. If you are going to invest a bunch of money to make these then you will need to sell a considerable amount of aircraft to recoup your investment. I know I'm stating the obvious but the point is, that it is safer to build P-51's because they are more well known and the demand should be good versus making a Ki-43 Oscar that is virtually unknown to the general public making them less likely to sell well. There is info swirling around about a possible F6F Hellcat form BBI. Personally, I would love to see a Hellcat and a P-61 Blackwidow. Other than that I don't know of any future new types. There are folks on this board with far more info and insight than me. I'm sure at some point we will see a P-39 as that is in my book as one of the major aircraft of the war and did much damage to German armor in Russian hands. Again, welcome and happy collecting.

Dan

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks for the friendly welcome, I am truly excited to have found this board. Your explanation was exactly what I expected as far as seeing P-39, or any of the other planes I listed. Well, hopefully someone at 21st or bbi will decide to make a few of the lesser know aircraft. The Airacobra is one of my favorite warbirds and it is a challenge to find it in any of my aviation hobbies, at least one with an acceptable scale outline. I'm with you on the P-61 though, that would make an awesome center piece to any warbird collection. And who knows, it is more well known than the P-39 so you may actually have a chance at seeing one some day. There is however, the issue of its enormous size.

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Welcome Aira..., you will find we all have our favorite AC, even guys like me, who will usually stick to ground vehicles.

I think you will find the key to 1/18 AC is the demand of the general toy buying public. As was just said, we would love to see the lessor known warbirds but they are not gonna happen anytime soon.

Sorry.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:01 pm

I am a huge P-39 and P-63 fan. I have a picture of me standing if front of a P-63 that was taken at the Houston air show. With the rear mounted engine, these planes really have a sleek look from the front. I got to sit in a P-63 also, and it is so cool to get in a WW2 fighter using a door. Please someone make a 1:18th scale Airacobra or Kingcobra. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:08 pm

I think Jason of Admiral Toys is hinting a plenty about rarer aircraft being made. I think if a P-39 is to be made (its one of my favorite aircraft) They will do it.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Possiblities

Post by Charlemagne » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:09 pm

I have to beg to differ on the the P-61 being made first before the P-39. As you stated, the size of the P-61 would make it a challenge which is probably why you won't see it as well other birds like the B-25 or the Catalina. The P-39 would be the better candidate as the paint scheme choices would be almost endless and in my humble opinion it is the better know of the lesser know aircraft:). You never know what BBI or 21st will cook up and don't forget the new kid on the block Admiral Toys they just came out with a some great looking 1:18 stuff the F-86 and the Me-262. With three players in the game you never know which one of the them will pull a rabbit or P-39 out of the hat. :D

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Didn't the U.S. sell a bunch of P-39's to the Russians? It would be one step closer to us getting a Russian line of 1/18. 8)

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:04 am

A P-39 and a RAF Typhoon have been high on my list (next to the Macchi and have moved up since they produced the F-86;) ). I am hoping that is we stick around long enough they will get made. I think the aircraft in this scale are going to be a duel between 21st and AT. My opinion is that bbi is out of the aircraft race. But, you never know.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:58 am

During WW2, the US did give P-39's to Russians Lend Lease. The Russians made good use of them against the Germans.

A neat plane, I'd be in line to get one......but then a Black Widow and all the B-25 versions are also high on my list....maybe we can get the "big" guys in 1/32.

P-39 fans should check out the old movie "Air Force", made during early WW2 about an early version B-17. Kind of hokey and full of propaganda against the Japanese with things that just didn't happen, but Hollywierd is Hollywierd but some great shots of P-39's taking off and being moved around and worked on. Not the usual models, real shots of real P-39's. Good shots you just don't see every day.

OK, Admiral, let's see a P-39 and OK, 21C, how about some P-61's and B-25's or B-26's or a Mosquiro and Me-110 in 1/32??? :wink: Can't sit on your laurels after the Avenger, let's start a roll.

And guys, if Admiral is going to make some of these "lesser known" (to the public) warbirds that we drool over, it is up to us to support Admiral in the only way, that really counts, with the wallet. I'm not a plane guy, but I'll start in order to see some of the lessor known warbirds.

TTT

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:28 am

Good point Trucks. In a previous post I basically wrote a longwinded diatribe about how/why the phantom probably wouldn't be built at 1:18. Admiral is new and if there was ever a way to kick the doors down and take over the neighborhood, the F-4 would be it. Again, if they could get it right they'd be a force (the force) to be reconed with. That would be nice to see for many reasons.

As for the P-39, I can't see why it wouldn't be built in 1:32. There's the Macchi which at first made me scratch my head. Cool airplane for sure but not on the list of more popular aircraft. P-61- cool no doubt but the combination of size and appreciation doesn't make it very likely at 1:18.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:26 pm

Trucks, I strongly agree with you in regards to supporting any of the companies that stick their necks out to make the lesser known aircraft. This may or may not ever matter but here is a short list of the planes I would leap at the chance to buy in 1:18 scale.

1. P-39 Airacobra (Of Course)
2. P-63 Kingcobra (Of Course Again)
3. Ki-84 Frank (Arguably one of the best fighters of the war)
4. Ki-61 Tony (or even the Ki-100 version)
5. Hawker Hurricane (At least I have never seen one in 1:18 before)
6. Hawker Typhoon or Tempest (Ground and pound baby!)
7. P-61 Black Widow (Who wouldn't want one?)
8. La-7 (Very Cool)
9. Ki-43 (I believe there were more of these than any other Japanese fighter during WWII)
10. FW-190A (Enough with the D9 versions already)
11. Mig 3 (Very nice looking Russian fighter)
12. Vought Kingfisher (very first plastic model I built with my Dad so it's near and dear to me)

OK, so it's not quite a short list and there were several more that I would add, but I'm sure you all know how that goes. Anyone else have a list of favorites they would like to share? Who knows, maybe someone important is actually watching and listening to what we want here.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:26 am

The toy makers read what we have to say. Whether they are willing to risk considerable money to design, produce and market some of the planes on our list of "must haves"is another story....

When there comes a time in the future when a manufacturing system can produce these planes in a small run, say of 500 pieces to sell to us collectors, and allows them to make some money, we are not gonna see these planes, or vehicles for that matter.

As a vehicle guy, my list of planes is short:

Avenger (Flight 19 or Papa Bush version or Atlantic with depth charges)
Mosquito
All versions of the B-25 from the Toyko raid version up to the 75mm cannon and version with no nose, just mg's.
P-61
PBY
B-17

OK, OK, so one is a done deal, just waiting, again, and some will never be made in 1/18 (didn't the PBY have a 100' wingspan :roll: ). But this is a short wish list from a vehicle guy.......now my list for vehiclkes is longer.

A sample:

King Tiger (both turrets)
Elephant
88mm with the big 7 ton half-track
Opel Blitz truck
M-24
M-18 Hellcat
M-10 Tank Destroyer
M-36 Tank Destroyer
M-26
M-19 twin 40mm AA
57mm anti tank gun
CCKW
4 ton Wrecker
7 ton cargo truck
Pacific Dragon Wagon wth trailer
155 Long Tom
M-5 and M-4 High Speed Tractors
M-88 Tank Retriever
Ontos
M-100 Cadilac Armored Car
M-114 Armored Recon (one of my personal, all time great vehicles)

I'll stop now, but I'm just getting warmed up..

TTT

Flytiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Flytiger » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Just a little historical perspective on what some of the Russians nick-named "The Iron Dog."

Yes, they used the P-39's. Nearly 5000 of them and another 2400 P63's. But compared to the rugged little Polikarpovs, Lavochkins and Yaks they were used to having around, the P-39 was repair-prone, and the nose gear was to put it mildly, delicate. Yet, some of their greatest aces spent a lot of hours in them.

The Russians had a tendency to throw sheer numbers of everything at any fight, whether everything they threw was working well or not, and their pilot losses were astronomical.