Petie The 2nd P-51D

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Petie The 2nd P-51D

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:37 pm

I finally got around to buying the new tool 21st Century P-51D Mustang Petie The 2nd and I have to tip my hat to 21st. They have done a wonderful job with the new Mustangs. The paint scheme with Petie is dead on the mark and they even did the markings in 1/18th scale! :D The forward rake of the real Mustang is there along with the nose on the prop even being correct. Smooth clean lines of the real Mustang, you name it and 21st got it right. Some of the negatives? Well they could have added the extra plumbing for the drop tanks and so fourth but thats minor and the cockpit could have been done better ala BBI but hey its a HUGE improvement over their first offering. Bent prop blades? I dont have that problem on mine. Pilot? Hes very funny looking I will say that and thats the only really bad thing. 21st could have done better on that.

Now as far as it being "better" then BBI's version? I will say that um.....I will have to say.....yes it is! I know for some that may be strange coming from a guy who was once very pro-BBI. But 21st has done a very nice job with the new tool Mustang, a very nice job indeed. Petie looks as close to the real thing as you can get. Tomorrow after work I'm gonna take it out to my local airport to compare it to the real Mustang they have sitting out there. I have done it already with the loads of Mustang photos I have but putting it next to the in person one will really give me an idea how good 21st did. But so far so VERY good.

I'll give my veiws when I get back from the airport tomorrow night.

Good job 21st because you have made a believer out of me.

Its nice to back,

Steve aka MightyMustang
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:44 pm

I agree with you the 21st Century P-51 is a nice model. My only gripe is the bent back prop blades, but that is no problem to fix. On thing that I noticed right away is they got the tailwheel doors right. They are way to long on the BBI version. Another small detail, but on these models small details add up.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:50 pm

Is the Petie 2nd version of the 21Century P-51 being sold at Wal-mart? There are plenty of the Ridge Runner versions here, but I was wondering about the Petie version.
Paul Hebert

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Hey Sabrefan,

I was told by a Wallymart employee that they will only carry the Ridge Runner P-51 and not the Petie version which I had to get from "Historic Aviation". I picked it up there because they are only 15 min from my house.

:wink:

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

hello steve

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:00 pm

can you post pictures asap

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:36 pm

supersonicfifi,

I dont have a scanner but maybe I could get my step mom to do the honors.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

thanx

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:10 pm

thanx ! since the beginning this model arouse a lot of interest to me because all the previous pictures are with the different proppeller than the BBI one ! i was about to order one but i must check an real stock model ! thnak you - i really appreciate this forum - Philippe

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:45 pm

supersonicfifi,

I will say this and thats that I wasnt a believer or a supporter of the new tool Mustangs in the beginning. In fact I was totally against 21st because I thought that they were just cashing in on the success of the BBI Mustang. Well I was wrong and when you get one, and I suggest you do if you love the Mustang, you will see that 21st did a beautiful job.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Petie The 2nd P-51D

Post by Teamski » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:50 pm

MightyMustang wrote: Now as far as it being "better" then BBI's version? I will say that um.....I will have to say.....yes it is! I know for some that may be strange coming from a guy who was once very pro-BBI. But 21st has done a very nice job with the new tool Mustang, a very nice job indeed. Petie looks as close to the real thing as you can get. Tomorrow after work I'm gonna take it out to my local airport to compare it to the real Mustang they have sitting out there. I have done it already with the loads of Mustang photos I have but putting it next to the in person one will really give me an idea how good 21st did. But so far so VERY good.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No friggin' way!!! I never thought I would see the day....... ;)

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Having examples of both the BBI and 21c version, I still can't say which one is deffinitively better in my opinion. Both have their strong and weak points. 21c certainly gets credit for capturing the oveall look of the plane and having the most accurate design (especially concerning the wheel rake, tail wheel, and wing dihedral). However, the BBI version had the better cockpit detail, figure, the weathering and all the stenciling. It was also a little more solid in construction.

Overall, both are excellent Mustangs and I'm glad to see Mightymustang broadened his 1:18 perspective :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:09 pm

Petie 2nd is only offered on-line and through other magazines and hobby shops. This paint scheme features correct kill marks that are printed directly onto the side of the plane, preventing it from being offered at mass retail. Just an FYI

More news on new schemes should surface in the coming months. For now you have 3 to pick from.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 pm

TKO, please bring on all the Mustang schemes you can, I really like this model. :D
Paul Hebert

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:00 pm

Like this model? Because of it I am now a full fledged believer in 21st. Today I took it out to the airport and they guys out there loved it. I sat it next to the real Mustang and sure enough it was like the real Stallion itself. Only I couldnt fly in it! 21sts New Tool Stallion is a winner no questions asked.

:D

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:55 am

Sorry guys about not giving the update about my trip to my local airport to compare my 21st new tool Mustang to the actual P-51 they have sitting all nice and pretty out there. Actually I brought Petie and Old Crow to compare them both. Heres what I found out.

One. The landing gear and forward rake of Petie are spot on where as Old Crows gear dont have the forward rake and is too thick.

Two. Clean and simple. Old Crow is loaded with rivets on her wings. The real Mustang didnt have these. Petie like the real Mustang is smooth and clean like the real Mustang.

Three. General Shape and outline. Both planes are spot on save for Old Crows rear landing gear doors which are to long and the prop hub which is too blunt.

The guys really likes Petie and one guy said if he had a choice he would have picked Petie for accuracy but he he did love BOTH .

I sold Hurry Home Honey to my freind due to the fact that I love Old Crow from BBI. I love the markings which BBI did get correct size wise and for the simple fact that Major Bud Anderson is one of my all time favorite WW 2 heros. The only bitch I have with BBI is that they didnt put the name Old Crow on the other side of the cowling. Other then that Old Crow is a winner.

As for Petie? 21st has one me over because of how well they re-did their Mustang. The only complaints I have is the tires which to me look grey instead of black and the funny looking pilot.

Overall though I'm glad we have both companies producing Mustangs because they are doing great jobs. Now all they have to do is GET THE AVENGER DONE and come out with a P-51B and my beloved F6F Hellcat.

8)

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

for all the mustang fans

Post by supersonicfifi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:49 pm

another mustang to your collection ?
http://www.petescollectibles.com/displa ... 81302#item

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

photo of real products

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:28 am

:shock: i can't wait to see real picture of this mustang ! (in evry website thes are the same with the highly desirable thin proppeler ... wich is not the produced model !)

so please bring some phots ASAP

Thanx

digger

Petie

Post by digger » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:32 am

I have a feeling the prop is exactly the same in design as on the others - and bent too.

I can't believe we have a whole thread on this bird (and about 6 other Mustang threads) and nobody can post pics for those members that are asking. Civic duty people. This is the year 2006 and digital cameras cost about as much as one of these planes. We're running out of excuses....

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:38 am

Both of my P-51s had bent props. I fexed them and they look great. I would like to know why they would release such a nice model with bent prop blades? :?:
Paul Hebert

tko211

Post by tko211 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:07 am

21st is aware of the prop blades. Mine aren't that bad honestly. Roy said someting to me a while ago about future releases not having this problem and that it would be resolved. Sorry I know it's kinda vague info but that is all I know.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:39 am

I would love to post pictures of my model, but I am not sure how to do it. :roll:
Paul Hebert