BBI F-15C Cockpit

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI F-15C Cockpit

Post by ostketten » Wed May 17, 2006 6:17 am

Anybody ever seen one of these??..... http://www.modelshipbuilding.com/eaglecockpit.htm
I know it's not 1/18th, but I couldn't think of a better place for this to go. Anyway, it looks pretty cool, but it aint cheap at $139 plus shipping. I wonder if these will be available at TRU stores at some point??

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Wed May 17, 2006 9:08 am

A certain Modellers "attic" in the UK has a few of these in - as noted, they're 1/6th not 1/18th but look pretty darn... um, pretty.
As for the male pilot figure, there's a reason he looks like the president - he is!

I've seen something on another forum ( :oops: am I allowed to admit that here?) where someone has used one of these as the cockpit for his 1/6th-scale jet-powered Eurofighter...

Oh, and typical innit - over here it's £150... :cry:

Jeff.

"JSF doesn't fly - it's so piggin' ugly the Earth won't let it land!"

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed May 17, 2006 9:51 am

BadCat has that thing also, It's nice, but it is kind-of useless in my opinon, I would think they rather build the whole plane then... 1/6 F-15.... yeah, why not make it 1/18? :cry:
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed May 17, 2006 10:05 am

I agree Moth, why not make a 1/18th scale F-15 Eagle. That would be awesome!
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed May 17, 2006 11:28 am

but it is kind-of useless in my opinon
I dunno, to each his own I suppose. The last thing I need to do right now is start collecting another scale, and I have no intention whatsoever of acquiring a bunch of 1/6th scale vehicles and figures, 1/18th is bad enough with regard to space requirements for both storage and display. On the other hand this thing looked pretty cool, especially some of the features like the backlit panel and functional controls and instruments, and I'm told they make an F-18 version as well. Bottom line...I really don't need this thing.....but.....I like it. :roll:

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Oh Yeah of Little Faith!

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 am

I have one...and it's not useless...unless you consider all static models useless (It just sits there!!!) I have been and continue to be involved in both 1/6th and 1/18th scales...I enjoy them both. The F-15 cockpit is a bit of uniqueness....there are no other full cockpits available unless you scratch build one (working on the nose section of an F-86 right now). As a display piece in my office (I get alot of visitors) it makes a great conversation topic and an educational tool. History on display! So if you bought one and don't like it....just PM me and I'll take it off your hands. BTW, the pilot figure DOES NOT come with the cockpit...he's about $55 extra, but I adapted my Dragon Eagle Pilot and he fits just fine. Had to redo all the harness connections and a few hose connections...but it looks great!

Oh yeah...the F/A-18 cockpit never was made. Its an Eagle cockpit or nothing.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed May 17, 2006 11:33 am

Glad your happy with it :D

It's a bit expensive though :(
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed May 17, 2006 11:47 am

BTW, the pilot figure DOES NOT come with the cockpit...
Hey FockeWulf, thanks for the info. Yeah, I knew I would have to get a 1/6th pilot figure seperately. I understand BBI makes (or did make) an F-15 pilot figure, although I've been unable to locate one thus far. If you have any links or suggestions the info would be greatly appreciated. BadCat has the George Bush pilot figure which should work OK, but I would rather have the F-15 figure if I can find one. BTW, I agree...this thing is not "useless", beauty and usefullness are definitely in the eye of the beholder, and this model piqued my curiosity as soon as I saw it. Cheers,

Scott

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed May 17, 2006 11:51 am

Damn, Im getting killed here :?
I didnt mean useless, just not needed... There is nothing 1/6th plane-wise, so why make it? Just my opinon

Dubar1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Dubar1 » Wed May 17, 2006 12:30 pm

I think the cockpit was one of the 1st things BBI came out with in 1/6 a few years back. I didn't get one but they are nicely made and great for a shelf type diorama. I recently did a B-17 ball turret in 1/6:

The figure fits inside. Inside I have the 2 MGs, seat, foot peddles, ammo bins, and Sperry K-4 computerized sight. Anymore detail and I couldn't put the figure in without tearing it up!

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed May 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Damn, Im getting killed here
I didnt mean useless, just not needed
Hey Moth, no harm, no foul...it's all good. That's what makes this an interesting hobby, people are attracted to lot's of different things, it's just the nature of things in this type of hobby. I can certainly understand where a lot of people would not be in a rush to get one of these, I mean the price alone will deter quite a few, and then you still have to buy a pilot figure, so it's no small consideration. I remember some cockpit kits from my scale modeling days, can't remember the scale, they were pretty good size, could have been 1/6 but I can't recall, I always wanted to do one but never found the time. Maybe I'll get one just for nostalgia's sake, we'll see. Cheers,

Scott

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed May 17, 2006 1:32 pm

I still want a 1/18th scale F-15 Eagle. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed May 17, 2006 1:39 pm

Who doesnt? :shock:

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

F-15 Pilot

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed May 17, 2006 3:31 pm

Dragon did an F-15E Strike Eagle pilot called Glenn "Wolfman" and I found one place that seems to have them (I think). Try this link http://reasonablecollectibles.com/speci ... gures.html and see what you get. I have pictures available if you want them...no biggie. And for the rest of you guys....no offense taken. Just trying to generate some more interest in combining scales and making something different for display. We all have our wants and needs for entertainment in this hobby...I just thought I'd add a new dimension that might not have occurred to some before. I am a police sergeant with a local college PD and my displays have caught the attention of several professors who teach history among other things. I also spent quite a few years actually going (courtesy of you tax dollars) to some of these places while in the Army. So I have a vested interest in history, particularly where it involves the military. It's all in the details! So...for decorations (I hate bland walls) my office is festooned with aircraft, pilots, police, fire, and ems anything I can find. I have an autographed litho of Col MacDonalds P-38 (Putt Putt Maru) hanging on the wall and above that...Putt Putt Maru from 21C...they go together very well. Since Dragon thought to add alot of hidden details to their pilot figures, I thought it appropriate to display him with the BBI cockpit, which also has alot of hidden detail. Even police officers from other agencies have oooh'd and ahhh'd over it...and one WAS an F-15 pilot several years ago. He could not believe the detail and gave me alot of pointers about the "Lizard Eagle" I had not a clue about. So turn your hobby into something more than just a collection....learn from it, teach about it, stay in the game, but mostly...share it!

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed May 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Hey FW, I just realized that your nick is "folkwulfe" not the more common "FockeWulfe" sorry about that friend, my bad :oops: Anyway, thank you very much for the link, I will definitely check it out. BTW, your office sounds like the kind of place I would like to visit,.... in an "unofficial" capacity of course :lol: :lol: My nephew was in law enforcement at one time, and I have nothing but respect for the difficult and sometimes dangerous work you guys do, a tip of the hat to you my friend.
Thanks again,

Scott

digger

GW

Post by digger » Wed May 17, 2006 4:26 pm

George Bush pilot figure
To tie this back to 1:18: there is a 1:18 GW Bush figure. If anyone has a Little Bird from the very first run, the pilot included in there is the likeness of George W. There is no doubt (which makes sense b/c bbi had just molded his 1/6 melon). This headsculpt was quickly replaced with one of the other bbi 1/18 heads, but if you do have one of the VERY FIRST Little Birds go pull out your pilot and take off his mask - you will see.

Somehow in my mess of figures (and in sticking bbi pilots into my Cobra) I can't find my GW. :( I hope I didn't sell/trade him by accident but I am afraid I might have... :cry:

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

No Sweat Dude

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed May 17, 2006 4:57 pm

No sweat Ost....common mistake. However you got the reference right on. Picked up the call-sign a thousand years ago while flying with a virtual fighter squadron (VF-103 Jolly Rogers in Jane's Fighter Anthology) and have used it ever since. If I can help you any more...just holler. An thanks for the appreciation, but you already gave it. Your tax dollars still fund my habits (err...hobbies). Just remember, in God we trust...everybody else is run through NCIC for warrants!

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu May 18, 2006 5:10 am

Well, I bought one of the damn things, so we shall see, :roll: it looks like it should be good for many hours of conversation and entertainment. I'll post some pics in the customs forum after I get the thing and the pilot figure together. Thanks for everyones input, and have a great weekend. Cheers,

Scott

RobC70
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RobC70 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:27 pm

I bought one for my Dad for a birthday present and modified it for him....He was a career fighter pilot in the USAF for 33 years. Flew F-4(Vietnam 1967)s, F-15s, and F-16s. He said it was extremely accurate for the C model and really was taken back by it. He actually remembered every instrument in the cockpit, heck he was the Squadron Commander of the 94th in Langley back then... So there is someone who actually flew the F-15C who is giving his approval.:)